Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #31
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OK, fought with DH over toddler and TV, who is right?

I wouldnt had mad an issue about it.. It was on discovery.. so I am sure it was more educational then "sex" talk ...

I am pretty open and honest with my little crew... better they know about it.. *** it isnt bad to know what it is.. **** then to have one of their friends bring one show them.. they will be all embarrassed and ashamed to let you know what was going on...

Advertisement

mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #32
sherbear178
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldnt have changed the channel. I dont think condoms and sex are bad words. If they were using derogitory terms I may have changed the channel. My mom was always very open and honest with me and I think it was really benficial for me and it helped me make good choices. I plan to be open and honest about things with my kids too. At 3 and 1 they arent really asking anything yet but my daughter knows penis and vagina and she likes to talk about who has what parts and I dont make a big deal of it. Any questions that do come up are answered as basically as possible and I dont give details. I can see where your DH would have been offended if he thought you said he was being a bad parent. I am sure if you talk about it and explain your feelings you will be able to come to some kind of agreement on how to handle these types of situations.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #33
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Honestly I'm pretty lienent about what the kids watch. Anything on the Discovery channel or TLC. Also if my Dh told me I had to turn something off I would probably get a bit cranky too. I know it's not mature, but it's the rebellious toddler still in me I guess. I would be really mad if he said something like "I'm just being a good parent" because even though he didn't mean it that way it would sound like he was saying I was a bad parent for letting them watch it in the first place. I can say that if dh had a problem with me letting the boys watch something, and it was somethign I actually wanted to watch I would probably tell him to take the kids out of the room, because I was watching and I had no problem with it. If he has a problem with what I am watching/letting the kids watch then he is welcome to watch them while I finnish up. Seems only fair to me. Yep that's me, I'm totally immature.
Totally US and totally NOT immature!!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #34
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbear178 View Post
I wouldnt have changed the channel. I dont think condoms and sex are bad words. If they were using derogitory terms I may have changed the channel. My mom was always very open and honest with me and I think it was really benficial for me and it helped me make good choices. I plan to be open and honest about things with my kids too. At 3 and 1 they arent really asking anything yet but my daughter knows penis and vagina and she likes to talk about who has what parts and I dont make a big deal of it. Any questions that do come up are answered as basically as possible and I dont give details. I can see where your DH would have been offended if he thought you said he was being a bad parent. I am sure if you talk about it and explain your feelings you will be able to come to some kind of agreement on how to handle these types of situations.
My 8yr old still doesnt know what sex is or a condom or asked about either & we dont turn the channel. I dont want my kids to feel ashamed if they do have questions about these things so I think they'd show a lot more interest in what i was "forbidding" if I turned the channel or argued with dh about a tv show than just left it on.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #35
VioletteCrumble
Registered Users
seller

I think you guys need to agree on what the rules for TV will be for your child. My husband grew up with no TV and doesn't want us to have one at all. I love to watch TV at the very end of the day for an hour or less before going to bed, and I also think that shows like Sesame St. are great for kids, so I want to keep the TV. That said, we agree that our son won't watch any network TV until he's much older (six or so) and that at that point he will only be allowed to watch a certain amount and certain child-friendly shows.

I think you are in the right with regards to what happened with your husband but at the same time it's not something I would stop talking over. I'm wondering if something deeper is going on that you guys should discuss. Good luck with reaching a compromise you are both happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_may View Post
Yesterday my DH was watching a show on the discovery channel and our 20 month old was playing in the room. She wasn't "watching" the show but she looks at the tv if anything catches her eye. The show launches into a segment about sex, something about the history of condoms. They were showing pictures of condoms and talking about them. I asked if I could change the channel. He said yes but then I said, I don't like DD watching stuff like this he flipped out at me. He told me I was being stupid and I told him I was being a good parent (implying he wasn't, I guess). Long story short, we still aren't speaking.

So who is right? Is she young enough this doesn't matter? I just think she's learning words so fast and I don't want those words to be condom or sex. I think it's easy enough to change the channel and then the whole issue is gone, right. I tried to make up with him tonight and he's still mad and then I got mad again. ARGH!

My mum once told me being a single parent was good in some ways...I can totally see that.