Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
MarchMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tired of 20 minute naps!!!

Has anyone been successful in lengthening daytime naps past 20 minutes? My 4 month old ds will go down in his crib or my bed, out like a light, then wake up, all giddy and wide awake 20 minutes later!! I'd like his naptime to be extended, because after this quickie, he needs another nap in an hour and a half. I feel like I spend my day putting this kid down for a nap - I've tried re-nursing him back to sleep, rocking, walking, stroller, nothing will resettle him. Anyone have any additional ideas, or do you think he will hopefully "grow" into longer naps as he gets older, and to let it go?

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tired of 20 minute naps!!!

My DD did this too and all I can offer is that it will pass! My DD did this for several months, usually napped between 20-40 minutes, then all the sudden she started to nap longer. Then she would hit a new milestone and her sleep would shorten again for a while and hen a few weeks and back to normal. Just try to gather all the patience that you can and get what you can done int he short time that he naps! Sorry but that is all that I have, Danni

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never had this problem...but I can see how that could be hard to deal with!! Good luck mama!!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
Sabey-baby
Registered Users
seller

DS#1 was totally like that. It did pass for us, but unfortunatly not for a VERY long time. He was a year before he'd take a nap that lasted at least an hour. But the good news? They got longer from there on out, up to four hours at a time Then just after turning three, he stopped all together Anyway, no advice, just empathetic
1/10/03, 2/2/06, 7/17/08, #12/19/11
I sew.
Sabey-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS was doing the same thing at 4 mos. I posted for help here and recieved several good pointers and advice, and now, we have an AM and a PM nap that last at least 1 hour, but usually closer to 2! There is a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child that helped greatly! It seems the key is to set up a routine through the day that is followed religiously, every day. Sounds stifling but it really has helped us and has given me back my days! Also, good, solid sleep at night has lengthen our naps. We were co-sleeping but have since modified it to allow DS to go to sleep by himself and to learn to get himself to sleep on his own. It took about 3 weeks to get his sleep schedule together but it was so worth it! HTH mama
Old 07-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
eoinsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My guy was the same way at 4 months and I thought I would lose my mind - especially when everyone else is telling me how great their kids nap/sleep. Eoin wouldn't sleep longer than 3 hrs at a time at night either and up at 6 AM! But we decided to just let him go at his own pace and continue doing what I felt comfortable with - not with what all the different books say, since they all contradict each other anyway - and now at 6 months he has decided that he likes to nap AND he likes to sleep for 7 hrs + at a time at night! I didn't like the cry it out, and would still go in and offer soother first, then if he persisted in staying awake/fussing I would feed him (at night and naptimes). After he decided he likes sleep, the first few days/nights I was worried something had happened to him in his crib since he was sleeping so long. Sometimes he takes a bottle to fall asleep and sometimes he pushes the bottle out and tries to crawl off my lap and into his crib by himself! This all seemed to happen after he started to be able to roll really well both ways and get to where he wanted to go on the floor, and was able to sit by himself, so maybe trying to get these skills down pat was keeping him up at night and during the day! Hopefully things get better for you too!

Last edited by eoinsmama; 07-23-2007 at 09:17 AM.
eoinsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
jlkhorn
Registered Users
seller

I will just say that I feel for you. I don't have much advice otherwise. My dd was like this, always. It was so frustrating. Fortunately my ds naps great!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd who is 5 months does this when she's overtired. Are you putting him down soon enough?
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
RandineK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope things get better for you!
RandineK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine did the same thing but it was a 32 minute nap. I could bake a cake to her she was so reliable.... it drove me crazy because she could only stay up about an hour and half max as well so i felt like we were up and down all day long.... I just wanted to give you some and say it will pass.....
I did a ton of research on this topic and it's largely developmental at 4 months. She started to nap better closer to 6 months.

You're not alone!

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote