Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

Anyone drive a Mazda 5?

We have been looking for a vehicle to replace our Ford Explorer, and we keep coming back to the Mazda 5. We test drove one for the weekend, and really liked it. Only downside really is the lower seat height compared to an SUV. If anyone has one, how do you like it? What year do you have, and what kind of gas mileage do you get in town? I'm getting 14 mpg in town in my 2011 Ford Explorer, and want something with a lot better mpgs, but don't want to go down to a sedan. Also, we are focusing on paying cash or having a $200/month or less payment. Thoughts appreciated!

Advertisement

MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone drive a Mazda 5?

I love mine! I think it's perfect for two kids and the occasional carpool or roadtrip. I have a 2012 and I'm not sure on mileage, I think mid 20s. When we were looking I only wanted 2009 and newer. They added rear ac vents and changed the third row seatbelts that year.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

My SIL has one and she loves it!! I love it also and want to get one for myself. Hers is a '10 or '11, I'm not sure. I think she said she gets good gas milage (I would think better than an Explorer) but I'm not sure the exact numbers. Sorry, I guess I'm not much help.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 2006 Mazda 5. Dont have any clue as to the mpg as I dont drive much or really pay attention to it. I really love my car. Little bigger than a sedan but not a full on minivan! I will say that 6 adults would be pretty squashed. And if you actually have 4 car seats in there, there is not much room in the back for a stroller ( and certainly not a double or jogging one!).

But for my need I love it. I do think it has a similiar mpg as my old Hyundia Elentra. I will have twins and a 5 year old by this summer in it. But have done daycare and often had 3-4 carseats in there at a time. The two way back seats work better for boostters or older kids that can mosttly buckle themselves ( they dont have latch system on mine, only seatbelts) The other thing I know about the 2006 is that there is no air vents in the back that year and there is no ipod plug in on the radio that yearr. I know that the 2008 one that we also looked at did have these tthings (not sure about the way back seats having latch in later years).

BTW, I paid less than $10,000 for my 2006 when I bought it a couple of years ago.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

Very good to know about the AC vents, thanks gals! When we test drove it, our 3 and 5 year old were both rear facing in the middle row in Dionos. When I go look at one again, I'm going to see if our two Britax seats fit in the third row FF for our two neighbor girls that carpool with us for shopping, etc.

I'm glad to hear you all like it. I really like it too. I guess I'm really hoping it will get 20 mpg in town. It would help so much with gas costs.

Alison, what changed about the seat belts?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Bellaroo
Registered Users

We have a 2012 and love it.

I'm not sure how I would feel about it if we had to use the third row frequently. When it is up there is no storage space whatsoever.

The fuel consumption is amazing and the sliding doors make parking lots a breeze.

As for the low seats, our other vehicle is a Chevy Silverado pick-up and I don't notice the Mazda being low at all. Definitely not as low as your typical car.
Bellaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

Good to know, Bellaroo. Our only plans for using the third row are for our neighbor girls and their mom riding with us to the outlet mall in the next state, and for homeschool co-ops out of town when we carpool. Other than that, it will only be when family is visiting. But considering now, I am needing to have family climb through the hatch of my Explorer, I think the Mazda would be a breeze. Small seats, but easier to get in and out.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are looking at one for DH's car. He is a small station wagon kind of guy. I drive an Odyssey and I love that its sort of a hybrid of those two. Spacious and sporty inside. Seats are high up like a van. Mileage was rated at 20 and 28 I believe, which isn't any better than my Odyssey so that was a bummer. Its a ton of car for the price point, cute and fun, and loaded with rear AC, bluetooth, climate control, etc... My big boy is definitely squashed in the rear seat but he really likes it back there and getting in and out is very simple. For those of us needing a DH commuter car that can still carry 4 kids, its a winner!!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

From what I understand the old style third row belts sat so far forward they didn't fit most booster riders or older kids, like not even touching their shoulders.
Fwiw, I slide the front passenger seat forward and ds1 can pretty much walk between his brothers RFing truefit and into the third row. I also do RFing seats in the third row and slip them in through the hatch when we're carpooling with toddlers.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Rockinmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We had an '08 & with 4 kids it was way too small. Ours also had power steering pump issues & spent months on the dealers lot waiting for the back ordered part. I actually called every Mazda dealer in the US myself trying to get the part & there were none to be had. It really turned us off on Mazda.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum