Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
Papooses
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: At what age home alone?

Last I heard, kids could not legally babysit in NY until at least 12 years old, I think? I went by with Leila's older 1/2 brother + he had to be able to recite the emergency contact information as well as house rules & we practiced "what if" scenarios ... then we told him to call us every 1/2 hour or so

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
momahaylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dont know when i will let my kids.

When i was growiing up our parents never left us home alone until age 13.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
VioletteCrumble
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Cadence View Post
A lot of it will have to do with maturity rather than age. If he would open the door after being instructed not to he probably isnt ready.
I agree that it depends on your kid and also your neighbors etc. I was left alone in the seventies at a young age but we lived in an apt. building and knew our neighbors, so if there was a crisis (and occasionally one came up) I went and knocked on their doors.

I wouldn't leave your child alone if he is likely to open the door to strangers, and, although I hate to be a scare monger, I had a girlfriend when I was eleven who stayed home alone until her mother came home at night from waiting tables. A local policeman knew this about their set up and actually came by and raped her one evening. He was prosecuted, and the memory of it happening stays with me and makes me certain that I would be less likely to leave a young girl home alone than a boy (even though this kind of thing could happen to a boy as well, it just seems less likely. Perhaps I am being naiive though).
Old 07-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #14
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you know and trust your neighbors? Is there a lot of crime in your area? Does he know what to do in the case of an emergency? What will he do while your gone? My sister and I always ate in the living room just because we normally couldn't. That's not so important, but if he's the type to tune into the tv, computer, game station, etc all day just because he can you might not want to make a habit of leaving him alone alot at first.

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #15
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it all depends on how responsible and mature they are. I was left home at 10. I even used to babysit babies at 10. I would never trust my baby w/a 10 yo. My SIL leaves her twins at home, they're 11 and pretty mature.

haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #16
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for everyone's input- I would never leave him alone for more than an hour at a time. many of his friends are allowed to be home alone but I know I am a bit more cautious than some other parents-I just don't want to be overally restrictive-so hard though because I worry and there always those scary stories
Old 07-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #17
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was in third grade when my parents started letting me stay home alone. I had previously gone to latchkey after school, but by 3rd grade, I was allowed to walk home and let myself in. I had strict instructions to keep the curtains drawn and never to answer the door. I could only answer the phone if it did our super secret family ring - the caller would ring twice, then hang up, then call back - that's how I knew it was my parents calling. I was a super mature kid, and never, ever had any problems. I would often go over to friends' houses who had parents home, too - I loved being free to make those decisions. That was a totally different time and place, though. I don't know that I'd let my dd do all that at that age. Maybe stay home while I ran to the store - I guess it depends on your situation and your dc's maturity level. When I was a kid, my parents simply couldn't afford latchkey anymore.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #18
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say around 12 if mature enough. My friend's daughter babysits for us and she's 12- she's passed a hospital babysitting course including infant/child CPR, etc. I figure, if she can babysit, she can be home alone, right?