Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need advise, night waking for 27 month old.

We've gotten into a bad habit of going to our son every time he wakes up. At first it was to comfort him and feed him. Then he got a bottle habit. Now we've broken the bottle habit, but he wakes to tell me he's wet or just to get hugs and a rock. He isn't awake a long time, but I'm running on empty. I've been waking at least 3 times a night since he was born. I hate the thought of CIO..... but I know I have to do something. I'm getting so grumpy.

He does go down easily for bed and naps, and goes down awake for both. We have a routine etc.... this is true night waking ( I think peeing wakes him up._

Thank you Mamas.

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
slomom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Need advise, night waking for 27 month old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane View Post
We've gotten into a bad habit of going to our son every time he wakes up. At first it was to comfort him and feed him. Then he got a bottle habit. Now we've broken the bottle habit, but he wakes to tell me he's wet or just to get hugs and a rock. He isn't awake a long time, but I'm running on empty. I've been waking at least 3 times a night since he was born. I hate the thought of CIO..... but I know I have to do something. I'm getting so grumpy.

He does go down easily for bed and naps, and goes down awake for both. We have a routine etc.... this is true night waking ( I think peeing wakes him up._

Thank you Mamas.

(I'm by no means an expert, I'm the oldest out of 6 kids and my siblings did/do the same thing)
What's he wearing for nighttime diapering? You might have to get him some overnight sposies or training pants and put him in woolies and put a wicky pad underneath him. Also (if he's pottylearning) make sure he's emptying his bladder before he goes to bed. This should help.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for your response. He's worn a bunch of different things, and they all work (ie no leaks out of his diaper) but he wakes because he is peeing. He wants a completely dry diaper on. Which I do, because during the day he knows he should tell me when he's wet. I've had him in FB's this week and he's still waking up. He used to wear fleece pockets, but he peed through those and it's too hot for a double layer here. Tonight I added another layer of thin mf, to see if the pee was so fast that maybe it pools and wakes him. He's worn a sposie a few nights, but always wakes to have me put on cloth ( yes, spoiled and asks for them by name) LOL. The only think I haven't tried is wool, I guess I'm afraid to invest when we're so close to being done with all of this.

Thank you again for your thoughts. I even added a undershirt tonight thinking maybe he's cold. I can see waking once, but last night it was 7 times. YAWN....
Old 07-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
slomom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Thank you for your response. He's worn a bunch of different things, and they all work (ie no leaks out of his diaper) but he wakes because he is peeing. He wants a completely dry diaper on. Which I do, because during the day he knows he should tell me when he's wet. I've had him in FB's this week and he's still waking up. He used to wear fleece pockets, but he peed through those and it's too hot for a double layer here. Tonight I added another layer of thin mf, to see if the pee was so fast that maybe it pools and wakes him. He's worn a sposie a few nights, but always wakes to have me put on cloth ( yes, spoiled and asks for them by name) LOL. The only think I haven't tried is wool, I guess I'm afraid to invest when we're so close to being done with all of this.

Thank you again for your thoughts. I even added a undershirt tonight thinking maybe he's cold. I can see waking once, but last night it was 7 times. YAWN....
It might be worth the investment to try wool (look in the all things wool forum here and see if there's anything your DS might fit into.)... I have a Large wool Stacinator that's been felted that I can let you have FFS, if you'd like and I can even knit you something using whatever wool yarn I have in my stash for cheaper than you can find on HC. Just let me know. I'm trying to downsize all the stuff in my house to a more manageable amount for relocating over 1,000 miles purposes.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
camperjen
Registered Users
seller

You know, my son is the same age (born 4/27/05) and he wakes at night on occasion as well. I've found that talking to him about it during the day and telling him what to do if he wakes makes a huge difference. He used to wake and get lonely (I think) so he'd cry for mom and dad. So I'd talk to him 3-4 times over the day and tell him "When you wake up at night, don't cry for mommy and daddy. If you wake up, turn on your fishies [crib toy] and go back to sleep. Fishies are happy - they'll help you." After a few days of this, he actually turned on that crib toy - SIX TIMES THAT NIGHT and never cried for us to come get him.

You need to tell him that he'll pee at night and he needs to keep his diaper on when he pees and it's dark outside. Or whatever will work for you guys. It'll take a few days for him to actually remember when he wakes up that you told him something... but with my son, it eventually works. Most recently it was him waking in the AM and SCREAMING for us to come get him. Plain old screams, not loud talking. So I'd walk in his room all mad (purposely) and tell him that it isn't nice for him to scream. That when he woke he needed to nicely say, "Mommy out please". Now he wakes and he says that so sweetly and quietly that I can hardly hear him. Nice to see he learned, though, huh? lol

Good luck
Old 07-25-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ah Thank you. I will definately try to talk with him about it. Last night Dad took over and it was much less so maybe it is about me. I also noticed he drinks way to much while bathing so I'm taking out cups tonight. He knows how to turn the facet on to get fresh water in his stacking cups, so maybe the combo would help.

They are really close in age.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomom View Post
It might be worth the investment to try wool (look in the all things wool forum here and see if there's anything your DS might fit into.)... I have a Large wool Stacinator that's been felted that I can let you have FFS, if you'd like and I can even knit you something using whatever wool yarn I have in my stash for cheaper than you can find on HC. Just let me know. I'm trying to downsize all the stuff in my house to a more manageable amount for relocating over 1,000 miles purposes.

Thank you so much for such a sweet offer. You are so thoughtful. I think I'll try the talking approach first since he's mostly waking to tell me, not that he's too wet.

Take care and thank you again!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
slomom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Thank you so much for such a sweet offer. You are so thoughtful. I think I'll try the talking approach first since he's mostly waking to tell me, not that he's too wet.

Take care and thank you again!
No problem.