Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #11
beepsmnms
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I want to throw my diapers away!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
I'm now using Sensiclean and I use very little detergent with my other clothes. I use a variety of hemp/microfiber for fitteds, pockets and I also have some prefolds, which I think I am going to switch to until I get all this resolved. I am not just getting the stinky hemp smell, it's the ammonia smell which to me says build up, but I don't see how that is possible, kwim? Unless the boiling that I did last week wasn't enough. The smell was so bad this morning that it stunk up the bathroom and the two rooms closest!

It's just making me really tired right now.

Ok, definitely try the wet pail thing. I actually filled the bucket with cold water and poured 1/4-1/2 cup white distilled vinegar , depending on how stinky they were, then let the dipes soak in it at least an hour before you do your normal presoak and wash. Helped TONS, even with hemp and microfiber the two worse stinkers in the CD world.

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2006, 08:35 AM   #12
tyles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm right there with you! I spent all of last weekend boiling my inserts and they're starting to smell again already. I upped the water heater and it's not helping.

Last night I seperated my inserts and pockets. I washed the inserts on hot with a warm rinse to which I added 2 large pots of boiling water. I did 2 rinses that way and then at least 3-4 cold rinses (I got tired of boiling water, our a/c went out yesterday!)

I use such a tiny amount of detergent that I wonder if they're even coming clean. All week I was washing with simple green/washing soda, seeing no bubbles even in the wash cycle. Last night I used Purex F&C.
Do I owe you feedback?! Don't hesitate to remind me!
tyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #13
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll second the TTO wet pail/cold soak idea. I had some hemp stinkies for the first time friday & I let them soak over night with vinegar & some TTO, and they are stink free. Hopefully it lasts!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
cathiasplace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had stink issues before and here's what works for me. I cut my loads down. I used to try to stick it all in one load. Now I break it up in two or three loads, depending on how long I wait to do the laundry. Plus, I use some Laundry Booster made by Dixie. I put that in the rinse cycle. I also recently started using some Pail Powder from Northern Essence. I have no more stink issues and I am really happy about that. My stink issues were gone with just the laundry booster, but the pail powder is just extra insurance. Oh, and I have a diaper sprayer now.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #15
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

My cotton prefolds never stink, neither do my cotton fitteds. It's only the hemp inserts and doublers for me- and they can really stink up a room fast! I boiled all my hemp last week and have been washing with a vinegar rinse since then. I also don't put the hemp in the dryer anymore- just line dry. So far the sink has not come back. It's only been a week though. We'll see!
Voltige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #16
Baileybai
Registered Users

Location: Wherever the Air Force tells us to go. LOL Finally back in San Antonio!

I've found a couple things that work for me. I had some inserts that weren't absorbing at all. They were microfiber and the diaper would leak but when I took the insert out it was barely wet...and they seriously smelled. Anyway, I read somewhere (for the life of me I can't remember where) to add 2-4 scoops of Oxyclean to your wash cycle to strip them. If that didn't work to use Dawn dish soap to scrub them clean. I used the Oxyclean twice and they stopped smelling and started working great.

I started having a problem again when we bought our front loader and I finally decided that it just uses so little water it can't wash everything out. Soooo, I tried setting it to auto soak before the regular wash and double rinse one day. No problems since then. It takes 2 hours to wash the diapers but their clean. I tried to do the wet pail method before I tried the soak thing. Seriously, have you ever tried to dump sopping wet clothes in a front loader without getting it all over you? Don't try it...trust me.

I hope something works for you. I would cry if I had to start all over again...but I can totally understand your frustration.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #17
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

We had stink issues when just using a pail but then we switched to a wet pail method with 3 caps full of Bac-Out and no more stinkies.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #18
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagansMommy
I usually throw some TTO in with the wash... no stinkies and my stash is new and used....
Same here!

I also read that SportWash and Borax helps many moms vs stinkies.

GL
Old 07-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #19
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

So, how do I wet pail? I got a smaller can to try it out, but then I realized I don't know how much water to put in there and that maybe I bought a can that is too small! I have one of those big pails that they sell everywhere for CDing. Can I use that? I guess I can't use my bummis bag when I wetpail? Oh, and everytime I use TTO or Lavendar (I've tried both of those) I get the stinkies even worse! What's up with that? Am I using too much? When do I put it in?

Oh, and here's my routine:
~cold rinse
~hot soak for about 30 min.
~hot wash with double cold rinses (sometimes with vinegar in the downey ball)

See? I shouldn't have the stinks, but I do!!!!

Oh, and my gal goes through about 8-10 diapers a day and I wash every other day, sometimes every day depending on the stink. And there's usually never any pooped in diapers, she usually goes on the potty.
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #20
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know my dad would say bleach
I have been afraid of the stinkies and have avoided hemp so I'm really no help but I am for you