Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
-ashley-
Banned

My Mood:
Anyone else have a kiddo who ONLY wants one side?!?

Braelynn is driving me bonkers! She will only nurse on the left side. If I try her on the right she bites so hard she almost draws blood! I OK with being completely lop-sided, I would make her stop nursing just because of it, but any sugestions would be nice. I do pump that side a few times a day to keep from being WAY too lop-sided!!

Advertisement

-ashley- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
jenjen31
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else have a kiddo who ONLY wants one side?!?

I feel your pain mamma DS always wants to nurse on the left too. I will nurse him on the rt, but he will get wiggly and demand the left after a minute or two.
Sorry I don't have any suggestions for ya, except keep offering the other side and pump, or just live with being lop-sided
Wife to Roband SAHM to Owen 1/23/09, Ryan 6/26/06, Nathan 11/08/00 and #4, a girl, Emmeline 3/05/12!
ebay feedback
jenjen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
McKenzie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has always preferred my right side. I think it is because the letdown is so much slower on the left. My breasts are seriously 2-cup sizes different!
I've tried offering the left first at every nursing and even pumping that side, but nothing really helped.
I just keep offering it, but when he stops actively sucking after a few minutes, I let him have the right.
McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

does you lo have torticollis?

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Mom2Gray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had the same problem with ds since he was about 2 months old. I always make him start on the right side, but he nurses 3 minutes or less, fighting me the whole time!! I am way lopsided. I just hope my next baby evens me out.
Mom2Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
mamato5angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My nephew was like that and it was due to his spine being out of alignment. He went to a childs chiropractor and was adjusted and was fine.

Have you tried holding her in a football hold so she "thinks" she is on the left?
mamato5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

This happened to me with DS and he eventually outgrew it. One side had a faster letdown but after a few months of pumping on that side, DS then decided to use it. That may be what is happening to you.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS only liked the right--now he'll nurse on both most of the time but still obviously prefers the right. DH think it's funny because apparently it's his favorite boob too! LOL!

Here are my suggestions:

Try to get your babe to nurse on that side when she's sleepy so she isn't awake enough to notice.

Football hold like PP mentioned.

Nurse laying down--this was the only DS would nurse on my "other" boob at one point.

Try to offer both at every feeding.

Keep on pumpin'! Just so your supply doesn't go down and hey you could always store or donate it!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsadc View Post
does you lo have torticollis?
i was going to ask the same thing. DS had it and only nursef on my left side for 2+ years.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Well I've been nursing Kaytlynn on ONE side since she was about 13 months old. It was FINE every since then until here lately. (She's almost 2) I was pumping like you but she still wouldn't take that side. She would sometimes take it for a few seconds/sucks and then get mad and want the other side. Then she got sick and NEVER took that side again. Now at 23 months shes wanting the other side, and of course there's nothing there anymore, so then she gets mad. LOL
**When I do it again, I think I'll TRY to pump more often on that side. I'm in NO way lopsided, she did it gradually too so I never even got engorged. But sometimes she wants to lay and suck forever during the night and I sooo want to turn over OR get her off that bb. I can't handle the little sucks for very long, it gives me the hebby gebbyes (sp??) Good luck. I think really overall it'll work JUST fine nursing on one side but it's NOT the BEST IDEA.

**I also read that many babies will start to nurse on one side when they are starting to wean. She's been that way for 10 months though so we shall see. Let me know if you need ANYTHING!