Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
Kama
Registered Users
seller
seller

6 1/2 month old suddenly hates diapers?

I am hoping someone here has some advice because I have never heard of this. My daughter is 6 1/2 months and she has suddenly developed a severe aversion to diapers. We use bumgeniuses so I am wondering if it has something to do with the heat, it seems like those could get a little hot and honestly it was one of the things I was worried about when I bought them. I have a few fitteds here still I have tried those and she doesn't seem to mind them nearly as much but she wont tolerate any kind of cover on them.
We have been going naked most of the day but after several accidents I have to say this solution is not ideal.
I really am at a loss here, if I put a diaper on her she doesn't like she will scream inconsolably until I take it off. It took me a whole day to figure out thats what she wanted ( I kept changing her diaper but it never occured to me to take it off entirely) and that is not a day I want to repeat. So now I just put a diaper on and when she starts getting upset I take it off.

Has anyone else gone through this? What can I do? Is it just a phase? Any advice?

Advertisement

Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 6 1/2 month old suddenly hates diapers?

if your at home just do a fitted w/o a cover! cadence just recently got a rash and ive been doing that n it has helped a lot
Old 07-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like the girlie wants to EC to me!!! We practice it at home some and my dd has been pooping on the potty since 7 months when we started. EC stands for Elimination Communication. If you google it, you'll find lots of good sites. You will have some misses, but maybe if you give her an alternative to going in her pants or on the floor, she'll use it. My dd will start to poop and then if I ask her if she has to potty, using the sign for potty as well, then she will hold off unitl I take her to the potty, then she goes! Now peeing is a little different, she doesn't have that anywhere close yet, but we are working on it!
I also like those bumkins covers over prefolds. They are vented so they may be cooler! I know how your little girl feels though, I'd rather be nakey than deal with the heat here in south TX too! Okay, maybe just in a pool, but nakey is good too!
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

I was going to say EC too.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
aschrimp
Registered Users

If you don't want to go for EC, how about fitteds + wool? It's alot cooler, and what we have switched to basically full time for my sensitive ds.

My ds gets really irritated by any aplix/velcro on his diapers. He will fuss if I put an aplix diaper on him, and when I take it off, I can usually see where the velcro was rubbing, honestly, I don't blame him. The snappi also will rub his chubby thighs. So you also might want to try prefolds + pins under pull up wool, or snapped fitteds under pull up wool. We only use snaps now, for this reason.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

also, the only thing that my dd is sensitive to is suedecloth like the inners of the bum genius diapers.
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
aliks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdlane
also, the only thing that my dd is sensitive to is suedecloth like the inners of the bum genius diapers.
that's what I was thinking, they don't seem to breathe that well.
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son didn't do well with suede cloth. Didn't complain just got a rash on the creases of his legs. I have found that we go with just a diaper and a t-shirt alot around the house. They are hotter than just panties... maybe she is just warm.

Good luck!