Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok I'm a little freaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
Yes, I believe genetics also has a lot to do with it, but so does body fat. A female who is severely underweight or athletic (i.e. low body fat) usually does not menstruate.
Yeah, it's the body fat percentage. Girls have to reach a certain percentage before the body begins menstruation. I started when I was 10, and I believe maybe 120 pounds. Seemed to be about a year, year and a half after boobs and pubs. Also around the time I reached my adult height and stopped growing, LOL. The zit problem could be a sign, but it could also just be more bacteria on the skin, combined with more active sweat and oil gland. Washing my face with an antibacterial soap like Dial or a facial cleanser with TTO in it has made a HUGE difference for me. No bacteria on the face = no zits. And for a while there during puberty, I'd keep some rice paper with me to absorb the excess oil on my face. It's calmed down since having Maddie, but man, I used to have an oil problem!

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #12
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My 5 YO recently started getting pimples and developing breasts
Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #13
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

I'm physically getting sick. My D will be 8 in 2 weeks. I'm not ready for this.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:54 PM   #14
lombardowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We took dd to the dr on wed because she seems to be putting on a lot of weight and the dr told us it could be due to a hormonal shift and early puberty setting in. She's only 6. I was shocked. Dr. said it's not that uncommon anymore for girls to start at 7.
Also, when dh was in college (early childhood education) his professor told them about a study that linked fluorescent lights (like in schools and stores) to early puberty. There's a little food for thought.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:23 AM   #15
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaev View Post
I'm physically getting sick. My D will be 8 in 2 weeks. I'm not ready for this.
At least you have some warning. I was pretty shocked. We had a little talk yesterday about her hygiene and things that would follow. Now she wants to wear a bra. I don't think so. She has undershirts and that's as far as I'm willing to go at this point.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:56 AM   #16
suebe333
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NUTS : My DD is going to be 8 in a few weeks and she had one pimple about a month ago . I was hoping it was a fluke . My DS is 11.5 and started with bad acne at the end of last summer and all the hair started coming also . What really bugs me about it happening to him already is he is not mentally where is body is physically ykwim ? freaky .. Good luck to you mama it sucks I know....
Old 07-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #17
This-End-Up.com
Registered Users

It varies from child to child. I started my monthly at age 9. some dont' start till 17.
My daughter develope adult like armpits at age 6-7 and HAD to start wearing deodorant. She is 9 (almost 10) and starting with the zits. I look for her to start sometime this next year.

That kind of stuff has such a wide variance range that there really is not any reasone to freak out.
This-End-Up.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest sees a pediatric endocrinologist for other issues & she discovered the start of some pre-puberty signs last summer (light pubic hair & breast buds in one side). So we had the menstruation talk with her then, "just in case." She still hasnt gotten af (thank goodness!), but has more hair & has asked us to start using deodorant (so we went & bought her the teen stuff). SHe is also starting to break out a bit on her forehead & nose so I bought her the neutrogena soap to use & that has helped (poor kid has my oily skin). She is overweight & has been since she was 4 (in came on very suddenly which is why she sees the endo.) so she has been over 100lbs for awhile. Menstruation tends to be "genetic" & can start a little earlier with each generation. I was 11.5 so I do expect dd to start somewhere around there (I hope no earlier!!!), but we do have "supplies" ready for her just in case & have had another recent talk about it as well as who to talk to or go to if it happens at school or somewhere else.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #19
trashley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DSD is almost 12, still hovering around 70 pounds and has started getting her breast buds in the last few months. I have no idea if that means menstruation any time soon, but I'm trying to mentally prepare for it
Old 07-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #20
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG I am so glad I have a boy! I hope it stays that way too after reading this!