Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Spoon feeding and self feeding solids

Hi. I was looking for some input if there are moms out there who's little ones weren't keen on being spoon fed baby food but liked to feed themselves. I was wondering if this caused any problems down the road. Did they eventually learn to use cutlery?

Here is a bit about our situation. Our little one is 6 1/2 months. We started a bit earlier than the recommended 6 months with solids as she seemed very interested, she watched us, chewed when we ate, started to grab. However, cereal was not a big hit. We've kept at it, but she eats it sometimes, other times isn't keen. We're tried a couple of veggies and they are more popular and bananas and apples she doesn't mind too much.

What she does seem to like is the baby mum-mums and farley's that she can feed herself. We also got one of those mesh baby-feeders (I thought they looked silly before, but hey, if it works...) She likes banana is that. I've tried other fruits and it goes over really well. I even tried the ice cubes of apple sauce as I was so frustrated trying to feed her apple sauce and she ate it this way.

I guess my question is do I push the issue of spoon feeding her stuff or just find things she can feed herself if that is what she wants to do? My mother keeps saying it is worth keeping on spoon feeding her because she needs to get used to a spoon - apparently I ate the cereal and everything fed to me just fine from 3months (though my sister was pickier).

The second part would be - what else can she feed herself at this age?

Thanks for any insights!

Advertisement

Last edited by clarinetb; 07-28-2007 at 09:17 PM.
clarinetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
Mom2MaggieSue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spon feeding and self feeding solids

We did spoon feeding for about 10 days until DD decided it was no fun and I decided it was to much work. She was never really a fan of the mesh feeder either, so I just cut things up small, steamed stuff that was to hard, and let her make a mess of it. She turns 10 months tomorrow and will eat anything put in front of her. She knows what a spoon is and which end goes in her mouth, and if I put stuff on the spoon and hand it too her, it'll usually end up mostly in her mouth. She just wants to do it all by herself. Personally, I count us as the lucky ones with our babes self feeding early, means we get to eat our dinners two handed sooner than most!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I say throw the spoon out! Your baby will eventually learn how to use utensils. I'm not sure what kinds of food a 6 month old can self-feed...my 10 month old baby isn't self-feeding yet because he cannot do the pincer grasp. Every now and then if I'm eating something he really wants I'll put tiny bites in his mouth from my own fingers.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2MaggieSue View Post
We did spoon feeding for about 10 days until DD decided it was no fun and I decided it was to much work. She was never really a fan of the mesh feeder either, so I just cut things up small, steamed stuff that was to hard, and let her make a mess of it. She turns 10 months tomorrow and will eat anything put in front of her. She knows what a spoon is and which end goes in her mouth, and if I put stuff on the spoon and hand it too her, it'll usually end up mostly in her mouth. She just wants to do it all by herself. Personally, I count us as the lucky ones with our babes self feeding early, means we get to eat our dinners two handed sooner than most!
How old was she when you started solids? Just as an idea because it seems to vary a lot from family to family

Thanks for the encouragement
Old 07-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
I say throw the spoon out!

We're keep them for entertainment. She LOVES spoons, just not to eat off of! She is trying hard at the pincher grasp...
Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
razz116
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spoon feeding and self feeding solids

My DS is now almost 15 months old. He's always hated being fed, but loves to feed himself. He's been using the plastic fork and spoon now to feed himself for about a month. We started offering it when he reached for ours (about 12 months old) and withing a month or so he was using them correctly to eat. I think she'll be okay...just give her some time and allow her to practice when you think she's ready for them. Just a tip...it's messy as all heck.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #7
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Don't worry about "getting used to eating from utensils". Your DD will become a mimic (they all do) and want to eat the way you and DH do when she's older, and becomes able to manipulate the spoon and fork herself.

AFA what else to feed her, I think speet potatoes and avocados are often recommended for early foods, and if you cube them to about pea-size, she should be able to convey them to her mouth. Or, you could put in the mesh feeder, too.

Last edited by ceilismom; 07-29-2007 at 06:27 AM. Reason: added
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
Jane456
Registered Users
Formerly: lindsaym
seller

If you google "Baby-led Weaning" you'll find lots of resources about not spoon-feeding. There is a yahoo group too.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymargenau View Post
If you google "Baby-led Weaning" you'll find lots of resources about not spoon-feeding. There is a yahoo group too.
Thanks!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #10
momma2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter always wanted to feed herself too. So I did the mesh feeder with everything in it and once she was good with cheerios I would make cereal for her that she could spoon feed herself with. Just a tiny bit of cheerios and mix it with a little yogurt. the yogurt makes the cheerios stick to the spoon, even if they turn it upside down so they don't get frustrated when learning to use the spoon. This is how my kids learned to use the spoon. Sometimes they used their fingers, but they were able to get the hang of this and thought they were so "big" feeding themselves the same way mommy and daddy did and would get all excited. Other than that, I say just let them feed themselves!