Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

UPDATE #16 on 7/30 - Newborn has Acid Reflux

Our 2 week old daughter has acid reflux. She has "silent reflux" where she does not actually spit up, but the acid travels up the esophagus and back down. It is VERY painful for her. We took her to the doctor last Wednesday and he prescribed Zantac. She seems to be doing a little better, but she is still having reflux several times a day.

I have some questions for any mamas that have dealt with this with a baby:

If your child was prescribed Zantac, how long before you saw improvement?

Did the Zantac at any point make the reflux go away entirely? If so, approximately how long after starting it?

I am breastfeeding, and she eats very well. Does my diet affect her reflux?

We bought a special inclined pillow for her to sleep on, and we are keeping her inclined after feedings.

Are there other things we can be doing?

Any suggestions and prayers are greatly appreciated! It's so hard to see our tiny baby suffer with reflux!

Advertisement

Last edited by smapple; 07-30-2007 at 12:14 PM.
smapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newborn has Acid Reflux - NEED HELP MAMAS!

Zantac did not work AT ALL for Jackson. It's the first one they try and doesn't work for most babies from what I hear. The one that works well is Prevacid, in the dissolvable tabs. That really helped Jackson. We dissolved it in a tiny bit of water, sucked it up in a medicine dropper and gave it to him that way.

Definitely ask about that if the Ped doesn't mention it. And ask for the dissolvable tabs. Insurance doesn't like to cover it, but they will, and the other tabs are heck to get dissolved for babies, as they are normally pills that an adult is suppose to swallow.

*prayers* for your little one. I know how bad reflux can be, but we DID have the puking. Lots of it. Blech.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

So sorry Mama been there and done that....it's hard but gets better!! They say Zantac can take up to two weeks to work fully. Like PP said it seems like for a lot of babies Zantac just doesn't cut it. Although for some I think it works well. I would give it a week or so to see for sure. We tried Zantac then Prilosec and ended up on a Zantac and Prevacid combo. The Zantac will NOT stop the refluxing but it will reduce the acid....so she will still likely reflux but it shouldn't cause her any pain with no acid, does that make sense??

In our case we were breastfeeding too and didn't realize until he was about 5 months old that he was milk protein and soy intolerant and his reflux was definietly made worse by his food issues. Is she a very fussy baby for the most part?? Jackson had awful colic but I think part of it was the milk too. You could always try to cut out dairy from your diet, which can be tricky since it is hidden in a lot of foods, and see if that helps her.

The sling was a lifesaver and he slept so well in it in the tummy to tummy position because he kept him upright. He also slept in his carseat as a newborn and would sleep well there. Do you have her bassinet inclined, have it so her head is slighty elveated. Jackson also slept MUCH better on his tummy and I actually refluxed less on his tummy....I know they say you shouldn't, but he slept with us or right next to us and it was worth the risk to us.

Good luck and hang in there it will get better....most babies I think outgrow it by around 9 months and most all by 12 months....we were done with by 18 months, but he still has issues with food so I think his was caused a lot by that.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

zantac will take about 6 weeks to get to full working strength.

Watch your diet, dairy & hidden dairy is one of the main causes of reflux.

My dd was on Zantac & Gripe Water. The 2 combined helped alot.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Zantac did not work AT ALL for Jackson. It's the first one they try and doesn't work for most babies from what I hear. The one that works well is Prevacid, in the dissolvable tabs. That really helped Jackson. We dissolved it in a tiny bit of water, sucked it up in a medicine dropper and gave it to him that way.

Definitely ask about that if the Ped doesn't mention it. And ask for the dissolvable tabs. Insurance doesn't like to cover it, but they will, and the other tabs are heck to get dissolved for babies, as they are normally pills that an adult is suppose to swallow.

*prayers* for your little one. I know how bad reflux can be, but we DID have the puking. Lots of it. Blech.
Thanks so much... I'll ask the doctor about Prevacid if we don't see more improvement in the next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
So sorry Mama been there and done that....it's hard but gets better!! They say Zantac can take up to two weeks to work fully. Like PP said it seems like for a lot of babies Zantac just doesn't cut it. Although for some I think it works well. I would give it a week or so to see for sure. We tried Zantac then Prilosec and ended up on a Zantac and Prevacid combo. The Zantac will NOT stop the refluxing but it will reduce the acid....so she will still likely reflux but it shouldn't cause her any pain with no acid, does that make sense??

That makes sense... I've seen her have a few times with reflux without pain since starting the Zantac, but most of the time she is still in pain.

In our case we were breastfeeding too and didn't realize until he was about 5 months old that he was milk protein and soy intolerant and his reflux was definietly made worse by his food issues. Is she a very fussy baby for the most part?? Jackson had awful colic but I think part of it was the milk too. You could always try to cut out dairy from your diet, which can be tricky since it is hidden in a lot of foods, and see if that helps her.

I've been watching what I eat a lot... I've had little or no acidic foods (tomato or citrus based) and very little dairy. I am having wheat because it is in EVERYTHING and its hard enough eliminating dairy and tomato products... but if I have to eliminate wheat too I will. It seems like anything and everything can cause problems from what I've read, though her doctor didn't think my diet would affect things very much.

The sling was a lifesaver and he slept so well in it in the tummy to tummy position because he kept him upright. He also slept in his carseat as a newborn and would sleep well there. Do you have her bassinet inclined, have it so her head is slighty elveated. Jackson also slept MUCH better on his tummy and I actually refluxed less on his tummy....I know they say you shouldn't, but he slept with us or right next to us and it was worth the risk to us.

We have a special inclined pillow in her bassinet, so her head is elevated. She sleeps on her side instead of her back, and sometimes I let her sleep on her stomach if I'm right there with her.

Good luck and hang in there it will get better....most babies I think outgrow it by around 9 months and most all by 12 months....we were done with by 18 months, but he still has issues with food so I think his was caused a lot by that.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

When did she start the Zantac?? You might ask your doctor about giving a little Mylanta until it kicks in more.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
rwooley
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Been there!! So sorry she is having a rough start. When did Reglan ans Zantac,nothing worked for us. We ended up having to do surgery on my DD in April. Stay away from Reglan it can having some pretty scary side effect... Keep her propped up at least 45 degrees for at least 45 min after each feeding. Say lots of prayers. Most babies will outgrow it in a short amount of time. You can pm me if you have any other questions....
rwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

like others said try cutting dairy out of your diet thats what Im doing now and it seems to be helping. caffeine to.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Poor babies I had acid reflux with my previous pregnancy and it was horrible!! Im praying for all the lo's with ar!!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD has been on Zantac since she was 2 weeks and it did absolutely nothing by itself for her.
We had to put her on Prevacid along with the Zantac and only then did it do something, but very little.

I had to cut out the citrus, spicy foods, tomatoey stuff and dairy for a while, nurse her for shorter times, but more often and for 4 weeks straight I slept sitting up on the bed or on the couch with her laying on my chest just so she could sleep and in order for me to sleep she had to go in her swing.

Now at 4mo she is outgrowing it and not on the meds anymore and I can eat more of what I want.

Its hard, but it eventually gets better.