Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #31
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

Re: VS nurse-in on the news

bamamom...I wasn't offended, if you meant me:-) Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would nurse in private for the same reasons as you-latching on, and then you never know when they would just pull off. For me, privacy was better. My DD only nursed for 5-6 months (sob...sob) so I never got to experience nursing an "older baby". I wish I could have cuz she would still be nursing today if I had it my way (she turned 1 yesterday). I do think that if other mommas want to NIP, go for it! It's just that for me, I wanted as much privacy as I could get.

Advertisement

love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #32
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom

Don't bash BF women for taking a stand....
literaly lmao...I AM a breastfeeding (well, not right now, but in general) woman who reguraly takes a stand! I think that if you knew me irl you would be REAL hard-pressed to find a bigger bf advocate than me. Whihc is why I really dislike the negative media attention. I'm not saying that if these women were truley treated offensively, they shouldn't do something about it, but as representatives of nursing moms, and being in front of the camera, they should have promoted this cause in a differnt light. Standing there (oh, and unlatching the baby as the camera was heading in her direction to cover up) and litterally raving like a lunatic is not going to educate people. I just think it's sad.

I guess that I am coming off as a non-brestfeeding supporter to some here, so it's probably time for me to step away from this thread, because I don't know how to explain my feelings any better. I'm not upset about the nurse-in, I'm upset about the way it was carried out, and the way that the women in the broadcast I saw carried themselves. Maybe i can find a clip on the fox site...
Old 07-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #33
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

I, personally, would never do a demonstration. I hate confrontations of any kind. The way I educate people is to teach by example. It's the least offensive way to do it and the more woman who get brave and do it in public, the more normal it will become. People will see it all the time and think nothing of it.

Jenny-I don't think of you as non-breastfeeding or anti-NIP. I didn't get that from your posts. I do see your POV about HOW this protest went and I do think that there are better ways. I am positive there were people who saw it and was left with a bitter taste in their mouths towards woman who NIP and that will stick out in their minds first and foremost in the future when they see one. That is sad.

But I do also see the reason for the nurse in and do hope that some additudes towards NIP change.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:18 AM   #34
fifi's mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegans_mommy
I, personally, would never do a demonstration. I hate confrontations of any kind. The way I educate people is to teach by example. It's the least offensive way to do it and the more woman who get brave and do it in public, the more normal it will become. People will see it all the time and think nothing of it.

Jenny-I don't think of you as non-breastfeeding or anti-NIP. I didn't get that from your posts. I do see your POV about HOW this protest went and I do think that there are better ways. I am positive there were people who saw it and was left with a bitter taste in their mouths towards woman who NIP and that will stick out in their minds first and foremost in the future when they see one. That is sad.

But I do also see the reason for the nurse in and do hope that some additudes towards NIP change.
I totally agree!
fifi's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:40 AM   #35
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

Media often chooses the least representative person to be the "face" of a cause, but that does not diminish the real issue.

A VS incident and subsequent nurse-in resulted in new legislation protecting BFing mothers and children where I live, so I totally support it.
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #36
fifi's mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

If the goal really is changing the law about breastfeeding, I don't see why it has to be done in VS... I mean, the only place I got "attacked" for b****** was on the bus. It doesn't mean I stop taking the bus or do a nurse in on the bus (nobody would, anyway, coz most of them drive, lol)
fifi's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #37
skayers01
Registered Users

If someone ever asked or told me not to nurse in public, I'd laugh in their face! That's where I stand on that. I do understand wanting to nurse in the fittingroom, if there's no where else to sit, because I'm not very good at standing and b******. I worked at GapBody for two years and would never have had a problem with someone nursing in my fitting rooms. In fact, I did it a few times! But if there are a lot of people needing the rooms then, geez, find a bench!
Old 07-08-2006, 01:58 AM   #38
Jordan~&~Jenna's~mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where I live now (CA) it's a violation of your civil rights to be asked to leave a public place for nursing there. I probably would have taken the dressing room option if it were given to me, provided my baby and I hadn't already started a nursing session elsewhere in the store... but that's just me. I would have a lot to say if I was asked to get up and move to nurse in private or asked to leave all together You can bet my next contact when I got home would be the California Women's Law Center (they sued on behalf of a BF mom for being asked to leave a border's bookstore for BF her baby in the kids books section in 1999 and Border's settled out of court).

Anywho... my soapbox could go on forever. I HIGHLY recommend this website geared toward NIP mom's: http://www.nurseherenow.com/ A GREAT resource!!!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #39
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom
Tennessee just passed one that protects a woman's right to breastfeed her child 12 months of age or under!!!!!!!

So now everyone is lobbying the lawmakers to remove the age limit on the TN law.
Well, as a Tennessean, I can say that I have never, ever had trouble nursing anywhere. I never went to a restroom or a dressing room, but then I also don't make it obvious that I'm nursing ... I wore nursing tops or used a blanket cover up. I never got it with the sling... hoping to work on that one this time... Anyhow, I don't know any nursing moms here in TN that have had trouble, regardless of the age of their child. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, though... But honestly, most people never even knew that dd was nursing..... Even when I used a blanket cover up, it was funny how many people were just really clueless!!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #40
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama
Well, as a Tennessean, I can say that I have never, ever had trouble nursing anywhere. I never went to a restroom or a dressing room, but then I also don't make it obvious that I'm nursing ... I wore nursing tops or used a blanket cover up. I never got it with the sling... hoping to work on that one this time... Anyhow, I don't know any nursing moms here in TN that have had trouble, regardless of the age of their child. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, though... But honestly, most people never even knew that dd was nursing..... Even when I used a blanket cover up, it was funny how many people were just really clueless!!

The reason most of us are concerned about this age limit, is becasue there are some kids who just cant tolerate a whole lot besides momma milk. My ds was one of them. He still can only eat about 5 things due to allergy issues....and my milk was one of them. I couldnt just buy him some chicken nuggets at the mall when he was hungry...I had to nurse him.

And the fact that someone might have made an ugly comment b/c they thought Iwas nursing a "child" and not a :baby", well, it just isnt right.

If backwoods Alabama can pass a breastfeeding law that simply says "A woman may breastfeed her childanywhere she and her child are normally allowed to be, " then so can Tennessee!

BTW, I'm from Alabama, so I can say they're backwoods! and backward thinking too!
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote