Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Surgery Anxiety.....

My ds just turned 2 last month is having surgery one Monday and I have been dreading it and now I am soo nervous about it. I was just trying to sleep and I keep picturing it....they told me they will give him a wagon ride to the OR and then put the mask on him....I just have these awful pictures in my mind of him laying there without me and they do have to do a breathing tube for precaution. What if he fights the mask?? I don't want him crying.... I am just so nervous about it and I know little ones have surgeries everyday and his is for dental work so it won't take very long and it's really a low risk surgery.

The thought of having to let go of him like that is just making me cry thinking about it. Tomorrow is dh's birthday and I don't want to spend the whole day a nervous wreck. I just want it to be over.

Anyone have any advice....if you LO has had a surgery any good stories would be great. I am a worrier, so I knew I would become a nervous wreck...

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Surgery Anxiety.....

mama! My ODD's both had dental surgery. They gave them a flavored sedative before hand, like 30 minutes and then took them away. It was tough, but after a good night sleep they were back to their hyper selves.

Praying for your LO. Good luck!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Meagan! I will keep your DS in my prayers.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

as you know danae has had 2 surgeries, it is sad when they take them off behind those doors but know your baby is in good hands and will be back soon. try not to worry, you will see he will be just fine. he may cry or be crying when he wakes up from the anes but thats normal and not all kids deal with it, danae did but as soon as she seen me and dh she immediately stopped crying and was fine as we snuggled her.
he will be fine and so will you, enjoy your dh's bday
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure you know that Em's had anesthesia several times. I have been both in the room while she was put to sleep, and had her taken from me. She was very dopey when they took her. I have to say, that it's probably the most horrible thing to watch your child lose conciousness and go limp in your arms. It feels like the life just leaves them. I was sad watching them carry her to the OR, but not the same sad I was when she went lifeless in my arms. I think it was less traumatic to have her carried to the OR by the nurses for me than it was to actually see her be put to sleep. I'd say they will give him some "goofy juice", and he probably won't care too much that he's being taken from you. He won't remember a thing after he's fully awake. He will do way better than you!

Last edited by Menfusse; 07-29-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Menfusse is offline   Reply With Quote