Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #11
leobaby04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Taking a one year old on a plane??...crazy??

I have done this a few times with DD - when she was 3 months, 9 months, 14 months and just recently 20 months. Just bring something she will be entertained by like a portable DVD player with Baby Einstein or crayons or whatever she likes. I found that my dd is such a social bee that she just likes to watch everyone around her and see how many smiles she can get. Take advantage of the aisle when it's free to walk back and forth a little. You'll be fine! The time will go by quickly. Don't forget to bring a paci or bottle for her to suck on (or bf) during takeoff and landing to avoid ear pain! Have fun

Advertisement

leobaby04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

see? its doable
its only hour and a half, it will go fast, trust me!! LOL
david was soo excited to see outside the window he ignored his toys though LOL. goodluck and safe trip!
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
c2afwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD just turned one and she has flown 6 times! Two planes each way....so she has been on 24 planes!! We will be flying later this month and in Aug. too! Just bring lots of patience, snacks, toys, books, a binkie or bottle for her to suck on during take offs and landings to help her ears adjust. AND: prepare prepare prepare!!! Think of every possible thing that could happen, so bring Tylenol, extra clothes, diapers, wipes, food, drinks, blanket, etc etc! You'll be fine, your flights aren't that long!
c2afwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #14
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is only 14 months old and has been on at least 4 flights (16 if you count connections and return flights) and I did it by myself all 4 times. She has almost always done great. You've have gotten great advice from other posters, but I would highly, highly recommend a carrier of some sort. I carried my DD in a sling and it allowed me to be hands free to carry a bag and her car seat on luggage wheels. That way I got her seat on most flights without having to pay for an extra seat. If the flight was crowded, they just gate checked it.

I even used her seat on the floor in the airport during the layover to feed her.

I agree that Southwest seemed pretty family-friendly.

I think you can do it, and its beat the long drive. BTDT won't do it again if we can help it.

BTW, where in AR are you moving? I'm in Central AR right outside of Little Rock.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #15
mtollie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ITA with all the great advice so far, just wanted to add a little info...

On Southwest you get to "choose your own seats" and they let families with children board first, so no worries about being sandwiched in a middle seat. Also, when everyone else gets on the plane, they will avoid you like the plague when the see a baby, so if there are any open seats, you can bet they will probably be by you! Finally, take advantage of nice flight attendants (which most of them are). They will bring you extra snacks, get you watered down juice in a cup with a lid and straw (so much more interesting than a sippy cup or bottle to the traveling toddler!), and if I remember correctly, they even have crayons and something to color on on SW!

Besides that, I agree with a PP that a sling/carrier is a great idea, but you will have to take the baby out when you go through security.

Your flight will be a piece of cake and so much better than an 18-hour drive! I've taken dd (now 22 months) on probably 10 trips by air since she was born (including overseas when she was 10 months) and we haven't had a horrendous experience yet!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #16
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Lots of great advice.

We'll be flying with our 15 mo old in the beginning of Sept. I just plan to bring her favorite books, some of her favorite snacks, some lolly pops (she looooves them). Coloring books, her fave. blankie and her fav. dolly. And tons of patience haha. It isnt a long flight though so we're lucky. Although coming back will be long since we have a 3+ hour lay over but it should be fine.

1.5 hours isnt that long. And, I'd imagine looking out the window would be fascinating to the little one. Which is what Im hoping for with Riley.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #17
houseofchaos
Registered Users
seller

We've travelled with wee ones in planes and cars on long journeys, and the quicker the better if you ask me. Just go prepared - the first time we flew with a one year old and a new baby, both on our laps (mine and my husband's) the new baby was fine, but the one year old had a severe case of diarrhea that couldn't be contained by any diaper. So one of my recommendations would be take extra clothes - for you and the child - just in case!!
houseofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #18
meemo96
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is all great advice, especially since I'll be doing the same thing...going to CA from Chicago in 2 weeks, and I'm a little nervous about the flight as well. My dd is a pretty well-natured little girl, but I don't know how she'll do with the amount of time we're on board...

Thanks for helping me out, too!
meemo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #19
ashandri
Registered Users
seller

HEY! Thanks everyone for all the advice! I definitely feel BETTER! I am just going to say lots of prayers...I actually am about to order a carrier because I have been wanting a backpack for her for awhile. I am debating between a framed backpack or an ergo? Any thoughts?

BOOMER...I am moving to Fayetteville, Arkansas. Where are you? My husband is going to the U of A to get his phd. I don't know anyone and have never even been to Arkansas
ashandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #20
keithsmom03
Registered Users

ive flown a bunch of times with ds, and its been great. i brought snacks, drinks, and toys for him to play with to keep him busy, and he did great. the way to fl he did sleep, but the way back he was awake and did great with what i had. they did however seat me where no one was next to me which worked out even better so that if he had gotten antsy he would have had room. good luck with the flight, and i dont think youre crazy, a lot of people fly with their children, some even younger. its a lot better than having them in the car 18hrs.

heather marie
keithsmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote