Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
excitednewIM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is it ok to let 4mth old sleep on belly??

One of my DDs LOVES to sleep on her belly. She naps during the day on her belly but we've been too scared to let her sleep at night on her belly. The last couple of nights she's been a bit fussy in the middle of the night and as soon as we turn her over she's asleep. We stay with her but I was wondering if it would be ok to just let her sleep on her belly.

They are 4 months old next week and she weighs 17 pounds already. She can easily turn her head side to side and can come up to almost 90 degrees when laying on her belly. She has only rolled over once and it was from back to belly during a diaper change.

What do you guys think??

Advertisement

www.littleacornchildcare.net
excitednewIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Mom2Gray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it ok to let 4mth old sleep on belly??

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I think belly sleeping is generally okay. There are "risk factors" for SIDS, and obviously if my child had some, I would not try it. But for a healthy full term baby, I just don't have a qualm with it. Our pediatrician actually recommended it for ds - he said breasfed babies generally have much stronger necks. I'm not saying that's scientific fact, just my . We were just desperate for sleep, and welcomed the "okay" from a medical professional.
Does your dd use a paci at all? I've heard (don't know how true it is) that that can help reduce the risk of SIDS...
Mom2Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

Same as PP, I kow someone will chime in that we are wrong but both boys would only sleep on their tummys and they are just fine
Old 07-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have to say that while I know its probably safer to let them lay on their backs..My son has been a tummy sleeper from day 1! He would scream his head off till we would roll him over and then it was like, instant sleep..haha..I think its fine in my opinion...he's 5 months old now and had killer upper body strength!
Old 07-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
slomom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think that as long as she's not in any respiratory danger and she's meeting the developmental guidelines for her age, then it'll be fine. I'd keep her close by to monitor her just in case.

HTH!
Old 07-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Craftin'Diva
Registered Users
Formerly: Diaper'nDiva
seller

My Mood:

Both of my kids were belly sleepers. If she's strong enough to lift her head, she's probably fine And she outweighs my almost 10 month old by 2 pounds! Hehe!
Jeri, Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), a (1/12) and full time StepMonster to Shelby (16). Married to my soul mate, Eric for over 10 years! Awaiting a rainbow after our loss and 5 years of secondary infertility!
"A strong person is not one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds a tear for a moment, then picks up her sword and fights again!"
Craftin'Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sleep is good. my tummy sleeping one year old is a sleep crawler though so watch out. it's sooo funny.
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

all my kids have been this way as as soon as they can lift their head without problems, I'd let them sleep in whatever way they felt comfortable. My SIL is sadistic enough to scream at me whenever she found one of my kids sleeping on their belly. I had enough when she screamed at me for having my 11 month old on her belly... uh, at THAT point, the dang kid was not only rolling over by herself but walking and running! I'm quite certain she's ok!

I'm not big on forcing my kids to sleep on their back. If they're screeching and screaming all night and the second I put them on their belly- they're quiet and go to sleep... guess what I'm doing the next night?
Old 07-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I think you should be good. All 3 of my younger kids were belly sleeper. Ds2 and Ds3 slept on their bellys as soon as they were diagnosed with reflux. There reflux was so bad that sleeping on their back was a HUGE no no. I think your LO should be just fine. It won't be long and they will be rolling over anyway to get o their belly if that is their preference.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #10
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

My lil boy was a belly sleeper too , not all the time but at least half of the time .

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote