Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
mpw1202
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
diaper pail question

I'm using a small trashcan with a lid for dipes. I'm using a trash bag for a liner right now til I can get a big enough wet bag for it.

My question is that when I open it to put a wet diaper in it the smell that comes out of the pail just about knocks me back. Is this normal? It's horrible. And it's just wet dipes in there not poo ones. I put a new trash bag in when I empty the pail to wash them. Another mama had the idea of using a sock that your lo has outgrown, fill it with baking soda, tie it off and put it in the pail. I did that this morning and it hasn't helped any. The diapers in there are only from today because I emptied it this morning to wash. Any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

Re: diaper pail question

do your dc's diapers stink when you take them off or only after sitting in the pail?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
mpw1202
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't notice a smell when I take them off of her. I'll smell the next one, she's sleeping now, she'll need changed when she wakes up. But they've only been sitting in the pail since sometime between 8 and 9 this morning. I noticed it yesterday too.

Oh and I'm new to cd if you couldn't tell. Only been doing it for a few days. My dipes don't smell when I put them on her either. I smell them after every wash to make sure I don't have any stinky ones.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
graces-mommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you can store them without a lid on the can or prop the top open it won't be so bad. Originally I only had a bucket to put the dirties in...never had stink problems, but it was ugly! I moved on to a pretty stainless trash can, but then it absolutely reeked! I think being able to air out helps them not to smell so putrid. So for now I either put the dipes in the black liner of my stainless can, or I prop the lid open with the handle of the black liner and that has kept the stinkies away. Since the can has it's own solid plastic liner I haven't been using a pail liner and have no issues.

Another suggestion is to put vinegar on a wipe and keep it at the bottom of the pail...it usually helps with nasty smells too.
Hope you can work something out!

graces-mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

did you buy used or new diapers? if they were used i would say they need striped.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
talitha
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My pail always smells foul. My diapers don't stink when I take them off him, and they don't need stripped. It makes sense to me that a closed pail full of urine will smell after a day or so. I don't think there is anything wrong, it just stinks. We wash every 2-3 days and rinse the pail out each time. I tried baking soda, and it didn't work.

I am going to start keeping it in the basement landing instead of the kitchen because DS has learned how to open the pail. I bought a hanging large wet bag from Happy Tushies.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
mpw1202
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most are new. I have a few FSOT ones. I have stripped them. They don't smell after they are washed.

I'll try leaving the pail open. My dd can take the lid off anyway so it's not going to make a difference if the lid is on or off. I usually have to put the pail up so she'll leave it alone.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
stevie
Registered Users
seller

a friend of mine with two kids just told me she had a some water with a bit of vinegar and bleach in her pail where she would throw her dipes. when it came time to wash, she would dump out the water and just throw the dipes in the laundry. i haven't had my baby yet but it sounds like a good idea ... i don't think i would use bleach, but the vinegar (i think she just used pf's so bleach was fine for her, not like all the fancy stuff on this site!)
stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
mpw1202
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I found my problem. I smelled the dipe, it was fine. I am using cheap mf towels as inserts in some of my dipes til my Joey Bunz get here. I smelled the mf towel and I could smell it faintly. I think it's the pee interacting with the cheap mf and then being enclosed in a diaper pail is making it worse. I'm just going to leave the lid off til my inserts get here. Then I'll try it with the lid on again. Then I'll see if that's my problem.

Thank you.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
prettypixels
Registered Users

I think dirty diapers just... SMELL. At least once you get past the newborn stage... at least, in my experience. (I'm using prefolds.)

RE: wet bag, Target has some nice nylon bags that work great, and they are cheap... $3 a piece or so. Check in the laundry section by the ironing boards.
prettypixels is offline   Reply With Quote