Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Help with nonvaxing in TN

I need some help finding out about exemptions for no vaxing in TN and don't know where to start. I have a patient in my practice whose mom is uncertain about vaccines and needed some info and I didn't know what to tell her. I feel bad b/c even though I recommend vaxing, I want my patients to be informed and comfortable, and I feel like a bad provider that I didn't have the answers for her. So, I'd like to get back with her this week and give her some info. She's particularly concerned about what will happen when her child gets to preschool/school age and what will happen with daycare, etc if she needs it.
I really appreciate any help you all can give me.

SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Help with nonvaxing in TN

In TN she needs to file a religious exemption or you (or another dr.) needs to sign a medical exemption. I'd recommend a religious exemption over a medical one though. IIRC, most if not all states require that medical ex. be renewed every year. Should she or you move out of the area she would need to find a dr willing to sign off on a medical exemption. It'd look fishy to claim religioius after filing a medical, IMO.

In the absence of an epidemic or immediate threat thereof, this section does not not apply to any child whose parent or guardian files with proper authorities a signed written statement that such immunization and other preventative measures conflict with the religious tenets and practices of the parent or guardian affirmed under penalties of perjury.
Bolding mine. NEVER EVER say anything about vaccines being ineffective, bad, or mention anything about aborted fetal tissue. It doesn't seem to state that she needs to give a reason, just simply that vaccinations are against her sincerely held religious beliefs. If she needs to state a reason, state that she believes God gave her (and her children) an immune system and by vaccinating it would be as if she didn't have faith in the immune system God gave her.

No state requires that you belong to an organized religious group or give out which religion you belong to.

If she has vaccinated in the past, it doesn't matter. Obviously you know this already, but all of her dr.'s are bound by patient confidentiality. I would not list any previous vaccines. But if she chooses to or they already know, it's still ok as your religious views can change at any time.
SAHM to D 10.05 , C 3.07, O 12.11 and EDD 10/2013

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote