Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
Eldub
Registered Users
seller

Have I been using my Whammie inside out? UPDATE POST #17

Okay, so if it wasn't already obvious, this will make it really clear that I'm a newbie to cd. Or specifically, to washing our own (did diaper service until a month or so ago). So, my question: when using a Whammie diaper pail liner, should the shiny PUL side be facing IN or facing OUT when I put the bag in the pail? I'd been doing it facing out, since that puts the seam allowances and the little cotton pad for essential oils inside, with the diapers. But when I take the bag out of the pail, it's sort of wet on the OUTSIDE - yuck. Dh pointed out that the shiny side is INSIDE on diapers - shouldn't it be INSIDE on the pail, too? (But then the essential oil pad is outside, between the bag and the pail, instead of with the diapers - I haven't used it, but would it even help on the outside?)

Please advise! Does the shiny side face the pail, or face the diapers?

TIA!

Linda

Advertisement

Last edited by Eldub; 08-01-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Eldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Irish Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have I been using my Whammie inside out?

Nope, shiny side goes out! Or at least, that's how I've been using mine for the last 9.5 months. Although mine doesn't get moist on the outside. Maybe it's something about the pail you are using?

Irish Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

I have a snap-ez wet bag, and the shiny side goes in. It has a wrap around closure with a snap, so I know I am not using it backwards, otherwise I wouldn't be able to close the bag! HTH!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never seen a Whammie pail liner (link?pic?) but every time I've had anything with PUL, the cloth side goes out and the shiny side is towards the wetness.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Funny you should ask...
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=193944
Old 07-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
Big Grown-Up Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine is a MOE, but on it the "shiny" side is the outside and the side that would be outside on a diaper is the inside, where the patch for EO is. Sometimes the outside retains soap residue and feels slippery. It best to wash them separately for that reason.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's how I use mine, with no problems at all! I think some other mama's who had the same problem as you turned it so make it hold the wetness in better.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The ones I sell have cloth outside, shiny inside. The cloth is going to cause the moisture to wick faster than the shiny side will. I think Wahmies are more designed to look pretty first (so you can fold them down and see cloth outside of your pail) over practicality. I'd use shiny side in and just use a swatch of anything to put your EOs on and drop it on top of your dipes--then in the future look for ones w/ all the good stuff inside.
The best way to cut down on wicking tho is to squeeze out your dipes after rinsing them. If they're soaking wet, they're going to wick no matter what. The moisture has to go somewhere and the seams have hundreds of holes in them.
My travel wetbags have shiny side in, too and don't wick at all...unless my MIL gets ahold of it and puts dripping wet dipes in there. Guaranteed wet wetbag outer
Old 07-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine is a MOE too, and just the last couple of times I've noticed it's damp on the outside. I've been using two in rotation for 6 months, and it just recently started this. I use it shiny side out, because that's the way that particular kind is made. I'm going to try turning it wrong side out next time and see if that helps.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had the same problem with my MOE liner. I don't think it's pee leaking; I think it's "sweating" due to no breathability btn the liner and the pail. I stopped using the pain and just hung the bag off the corner of the change table and haven't had a problem since. (except the smell.......)
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote