Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
mamabearoftwo
Registered Users

PF Blues

Background:We have been a Kushies AIO family and they have worked great for us. But when the time came to replace the ones I got used, I decided to try pf and a wrap. The only reason-I wanted more fun colors. I drool over all sorts of diapers here, but I just won't cough up $15-25 for a darn diaper combo. I have two master poopers in diapers and I change between 12-15 diapers a day. (My toddler poops 3-5 huge poops a day. And then there is my mostly bf 11 month old.)

Problem: My pf bunch up between their legs. When they poop it gets on the wrap and needs to be washed. I am currently trifolding with a WWB wrap.

My questions are: Is my wrap to big or is this normal? Will the bunching stop if I cut out leg holes like on diapersewing.com instead of trifold? Or do I have to add elastic too?

Restrictions: I don't want to use pins or snappi. Too much fussing.

I am wishing I hadn't bought so many pf...

Please help,
Stacy in Minnesota

Advertisement

mamabearoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: PF Blues

I think there are different folds you can do with a prefold so that so much poop doesn't escape. I'm no expert on folds, so you might want to try looking on the diaper hyena (google it and you'll find it). Anyway, I think the newspaper fold sort of makes little gussets, if you will, on the legs, so that more stays in the diaper. Maybe some other prefold mammas will chime in. I just trifold too or snappi, so I'm not much of help.
GL
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might need a smaller cover.. or you can turn your pfs into contours.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
mommy2maya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Snappi! Best solution would be to use a snappi, with a newspaper fold, it keeps the bm in, unless it's a bf only bm, then, well, not much keeping that in!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have bunching problems with the fitteds from prefolds (that said they do have elastic in the legs) I haven't tried contours, I have heard that escaping poo at least for bf babies can be a problem.

I also usually use snappis ... it really isn't bad

I'm wondering if your wraps are a little large or you should maybe try another fold. The jellyroll fold is supposed to help stop the poo. I always have trouble with poo coming out with the bikini twist ... and I don't have a link sorry but I'd just google prefold folds

Old 07-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #6
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For trifolding I do find the cover has to be snug. Does the cover(s) you're using bag in the bum or crotch at all? You might try one smaller cover and see if that helps. I also find some covers work better than others with tri pf.

If the cover is holding the poop in it really is doing it's job. Think of it as an AIO- you had to wash the whole thing each time. At least this way you don't have to wash when it's just pee.

You could also try doing the angel or newspaper fold, but then snug the cover instead of pins or Snappi. A Snappi is REALLY easy tho- only takes a few seconds. The only thing is they shouldn't go coverless with a Snappi, but then you're not doing that with trifolding.

I learn to pin and snappi from here, http://www.diaperpages.com I like the jelly roll pulled really tight. You can just fold in the thighs with the other folds too.

GL!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #7
i0lanthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceNzanesmom
If the cover is holding the poop in it really is doing it's job. Think of it as an AIO- you had to wash the whole thing each time. At least this way you don't have to wash when it's just pee.
Yep... this is my attitude.

If I'm expecting a poo then sometimes I take the extra time to do a jellyroll and a Snappi... usually not. But I have once-a-day kids and not 3-4 times a day. When I started using PFs I thought I would never get the hang of a snappi and didn't try using one for ages, but it doesn't take much practice at all.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
jodi5
Registered Users

I also agree with Angie. I just have more covers and all is fine. You still go through less covers than AIO's since you get the bonus of reusing when there isn't a poopy diaper. I have enough covers, that it doesn't worry me, I just grab a new one and away we go. I love trifolding!
Old 07-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
mamabearoftwo
Registered Users

More questions ladies: How many times do you use your wrap before you wash it? And how important is it to let it dry before reusing it?

Thanks ,
Stacy in Minnesota
mamabearoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #10
mommy2maya
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use proraps, and if it's just pee, and not a soaked diaper, sometimes I will reuse it right away. But, most of the time, I rotate with wool soakers & shorts.