Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #11
wittymomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone know what to do with hotdogs?

Yeah it was very much so great timing! With all my dh's work issues and then to top if off they kicked me off of food stamps saying we make too much money. My hubby makes Maybe 1600 a month and there are 5 of us. he is our only income. But that is too much? I reapplied. THey are still twiddling (sp) their thumbs though lol. So until then this is our main food source LOL.

Thanks again for the receipes and tips!!

Advertisement

wittymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
Jemgirl

Toe Jam anyone?
seller

My Mood:

ok.....I haven't had these in 12 years (when I was pregnant w/ dd). We were sooooooo broke, we ate these all the time.
We'd take a hot dog and cut it lengthwise almost all the way thru (enough to open it like hinged), put cheese on top of it, then chopped onions and then wrapped them with bacon. Stuck it in to cook in the oven until the bacon was cooked and the cheese all ooey gooey! Man....I wish my dh would make me some of these
I have a recipe that I'm going to make this week too....it's a mexican hot dog dish, I'll let you know if it's any good
Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 PM   #13
quarli
Registered Users
seller

Cut the dogs up in fourths......drop some corn muffin mix in a muffin pan, drop in a dog bite into each one, add a little more corn muffin mix, and cook.....it makes little corn dogs.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #14
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

you could also add a few sasauges to spegetti sauce and usually it turns out pretty good. Whole or cut up. Either way.
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #15
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Holy huge amount of sausages!! Way to go, mama!! Maybe this is a Portuguese thing ( my mother's side of the family are "full blood")... but we also eat Fried Hotdog sandwiches. Cut a sausage right down the middle lengthwise and put it face down (the "inside" side) down on a hot skillet with a tiny bit of butter or oil. Fry it up until it's good and crispy and make a sandwich out of it. At home we would eat Linguisa (uber good UBER fattening Portuguse sausages) but it would work just as well with any sausages.

Either that or you could make some KICKIN' chili with the sausages... or slice them up and put them on homemade pizza.... or make a big pot of soup (I'm thinking crockpot dinners here!)... mmmmm.... now I want sausages....
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:14 AM   #16
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Take some slice them up and fry them in a pan with a little butter. Take them out of the pan and then make 2 boxes of cheese and brocolli rice a roni in the same pan . When done add sausage back into the pan and you have a dish. We always make some brocolli on the side as well. My family loves brocolli.
Barbara
edited because I can't spell

Last edited by Bluemoon; 07-06-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #17
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

This is one of my DHs favorite.
Cut up some bell peppers whatever color you want, cut up a white onion, add some garlic, salt and pepper to taste - saute in some olive oil or butter (whatever you have would work fine). Just saute until they are tender.
Score sausages add them to the veggies and cook until warm all the way through and voila throw the onions, peppers, and sausage on a hot dog bun. Tasty!

You can just throw them on the grill, or do like a kabob kinda thing. Skewer them with some onions, peppers, zuchinni, squash, potatoes spice em up how ever you want. Serve with some rice.

DHs Gma makes a killer jamabalya (sp?) with sausage, chicken (of course you can leave that out), and shrimp. But you could just use the sausage if you want.

When I was a kid I would slice up hotdogs and put them in a skillet with some BBQ sauce and eat it like that. Really yummy. And ready in seconds.

Get corn bread mix and make corn dogs, and you can make a bunch ahead of time and freeze them! Great for the kiddos.

Slice the sausage saute in a skillet with some garlic and olive oil, cook some pasta like penne, or even cheese ravioli or tortelleni would be great. With some alfredo sauce, or marinara, even some pesto sauce would be yummy!

Thats all I can think of right now.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #18
Jemgirl

Toe Jam anyone?
seller

My Mood:

Jambalaya is a GREAT idea! If you need a recipe let me know.....I think I've got a couple of them.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #19
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

You could have sausage pizza, or use it in place of hamburger in most hamburger/meatball recipies, just cut it up into bite size pices.

For the hotdogs, we either do weiners and beans(though the kids won't eat it), boil them for hotdog buns or build a fire and have a mini-cookout.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #20
ajfowle
Registered Users
seller

Oh, the jambalaya made me think of these:

sausage gumbo
red beans and rice