Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
tsk_mum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
starting later

did anyone start HSing an older child after they attended public school?
How old was your DC & what was your reason?
How did the child do with the change?

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
ardejesus1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: starting later

We are actually getting ready to start this year. My guys are 10 and 8 and I am just fed up with the public school system!!!! It is all about numbers, packed classrooms, crowd control, minimal 1-on-1 time... the list goes on and on. Not to mention the negative influences from other children. We have dealt with bullies, fresh girls, know it alls(that don't know anything but cause my kids to be curious already!!) I don't even know what else!!!! I am thrilled that I will have a much firmer hand in how/what my child is learning.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk_mum View Post
How old was your DC & what was your reason?
How did the child do with the change?
Me! My oldest daughter (she will be 10 in a few weeks) has attended public school from kindergarten through 4th grade. We are going to homeschool her for 5th grade. We are not sure for how long, but I am hoping for at least a couple of years if not all the way through high school. Our reason for homeschooling is that my daughter was falling through the cracks in public school, so to speak. She has some issues and they are mild enough that she doesn't qualify for occupational therapy. She is a good, quiet girl who does well in school so she is overlooked a lot. She has done as well as she has because she had a lot of hand-holding in elementary school. However, in our town, 5th grade begins middle school (changing classes, different teachers for every subject, etc.) and we did not feel like that was a situation that she could be successful in given her issues (she has been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and 2 learning disabilities by 2 private therapists but according to the school's evaluation she does not qualify for occupational therapy.) Anyway, after conferencing with her 4th grade teacher (who was so wonderful) dh and I decided that homeschooling would be her best option.

I can't say yet how she'll do with the change as we haven't started yet. I can tell you that yes, she "kind of wishes" she could go to middle school (eager to grow up, etc.) but she is excited about being able to stay up later and sleep in later (she is naturally a night owl so we are changing her schedule to reflect this) and other perks of homeschooling. Also, we started our math curriculum with her 2 months ago because she is very behind in math and she is doing really well with it. She told me that she loves math. My goal was with hard work she would be just 1 year behind beginning in 6th grade, but at this rate she will only be half a year behind beginning in 6th grade. This is huge for us!

Sorry for the novel!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

Yep, pulled my ds out of ps toward the end of 7th grade, HS'd him through 8th and he's now starting online HS to get a diploma and hopefully beginning college courses when he's 16
How old was your DC & what was your reason? He was 13 and my reasons were all the bullies, poor learning environment, his self esteem and he got severly depressed. Doing remarkable now
How did the child do with the change? He adjusted well but tried to get lazy on me LOL and did get bored with doing workbooks everyday so we changed it up a bit......science channel is wonderful and comcast has "classroom" you can use for HSing
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
o3b
Registered Users

My experience is **VERY** much like Boomer's above. I am starting HS with my oldest in 5th grade. The only difference is he is at the high end of the class, but also slipping through the cracks. His 4th grade teacher was super-supportive and actually told me his next year in ps will be a wasted one. We are also working on math already as I felt he was behind. Not that he had any problems understanding, just that our state math program is running about 2 years behind where it should be. I felt that, and then found out through dh's boss (who is also pulling his kids this year, but to put in private school, 2nd and 4th grades) and another HS mama I met who was a teacher in our district until she pulled her own kids out (at about the same ages, too) that Sylvan has been testing kids about 2 years behind on average. They have 3x more kids in math tutoring there (at $700/month) than before the state made the math curriculum change. But math is certainly not our only issue.

One of my friends is pulling her kids (6th and 7th grades) out of private school this year. She had cancer last year (clear at the moment) and her kids came home crying almost every single day b/c they were teased about it. There are also other negative influences from the kids in the classes. The church that runs the school charges about half what other private schools do b/c they view it as a ministry. Consequently, there are a higher percentage of kids there who were failing in the public school due to behavior issues.

Mostly I felt that my boys were not able to thrive in the school environment to the level they are capable. There are also political issues in-so-far as the school's view is that the govt owns my children and they are mine to borrow so long as I follow their rules. Certainly not every school employee, but enough in key areas.

So far the kids are very excited about it. We do NOT have any kids in the neighborhood they can play with, but their best friends are also brothers and part of a family we are close with. My friend and I are continuing to plan get-togethers often for them.

I do expect to have some amount of issues dealing with "Mom as teacher" and staying on task, etc.
o3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

A little different view on it: I was homeschooled starting in fourth grade. I loved it, even though we had mostly attended private schools I had always been shy and I loved being with my family. My mom homeschooled all four of us through high school and we really enjoyed learning together. I homeschool my kids now and I love watching them learn new things!