Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dumb question(s) about nursing necklaces

I never used a nursing necklace with DJ but I like the concept. He had a habit of grabbing/pinching/scratching in all the wrong places that definitely kept me alert while nursing and past about 9 or 10 months old, he was too easily distracted to nurse anywhere other than home unless he was truly starving (no problem for him since he could have a cup or something but *I* got a little frustrated at missed feedings if you know what I mean!) So anyway, I've been thinking about trying a nursing necklace with this new baby but I have a few dumb questions. I clicked on this link in someone's siggy and they are absolutely GORGEOUS! http://hyenacart.com/BrilliantBeads/

1. These have magnetic clasps...isn't the whole point for the baby to be able to pull at and play with the necklace? Do magnetic clasps work?

2. A lot of these are made with glass beads...is this glass like I'm thinking of? Like the first time baby gives the necklace a good yank and it hits the table or floor = shatter?

3. Some nursing necklaces I've seen are kind of...well...not something I'd wear all the time...but these are really pretty and look more like regular jewelry (which I NEVER wear!) Do you wear your nursing necklace all the time or just put it on when you're feeding...kind of a visual cue to put baby in the right frame of mind? If you wear it all the time, wouldn't glass beads be dangerous since it will inevitably get chewed on at some point?

4. Like I said, I saw this link in a DS mama's siggy and think they're gorgeous. Who else makes good nursing necklaces and what do you love about them?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dumb question(s) about nursing necklaces

You want to wear it while nursing b/c if you wear it all the time DC will get "sick" of seeing it and it wont do what it is supposed to.
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
aschrimp
Registered Users

I bought one with glass beads, and I don't think they would shatter if it hit the floor - they seem very sturdy. Also, the magnetic clasp does come undone pretty easily, but the point, I believe is so that your ds/dd can't strangle you with it if they get a good hand hold and start to twist. Or choke themselves, I suppose, although that's not likely to happen if they only play with it while nursing.

BUT - I started too late using it as a nursing necklace. When I wear it, ds will not nurse because he'd rather play with (read: chew on) the necklace. Kind of defeats the purpose.
But it's pretty, so I don't feel like it was a waste. I still wear it sometimes, just because it's pretty. I am going to start earlier wearing it while nursing when I have another.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use some that I made myself with mostly wooden beads (painted) and a hemp cord. I love them, they're saving my skin! My daughter is very grabby when nursing and my necklaces are a lifesaver. I plan on buying more soon so we have more variety. I usually just put it on in the morning and leave it on - no problems with her getting bored.. She doesn't always look at it while nursing but feels the need to grab and yank on things when she's feeding. She'll grab my hands, my shirt, my bra, hair, my skin.. or my necklace. I rarely nurse without one now.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I also saw these http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=85953&vid=210 which I really like. I don't wear much jewelry and when I do, I like to keep it simple. I could probably make something like this myself (like I need another hobby!) Now I have an excuse to hit the craft store again this afternoon...yippee! Now if only the little monkey would decide to come out, I'd be all set.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 2 one hemp one glass in WAHM wares
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote