Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
skayers01
Registered Users

Water Births Anyone???

I was just wondering if anyone here was planning to have a water birth?
My ds was born in a birth pool at a birth center and it was the most amazing, wonderful experience! It was a 30 minute drive to get there and my contractions were already les than two minutes apart ( I think I was at a 3 or 4). As soon as we arrived, I hoped in, and basically slept of and on between my contractions for about 2 hours. With every contraction, I held on the the side of the tub in pain, but I was able to allow the whole bottom half of my body to relax (to help Ashton move down), and when it was over I just laid back and relaxed. He was born after 15 minutes of pushing with his fist against his face. I didn't tear or anything (and this kid had a big head)! When he came out, my midwife put him on my chest, and he was sound asleep. He cried after a minute, but then went back to sleep. It was so relaxing and just felt natural to give birth in the water. Ashton is still such a relaxed,easy going guy. He's never kept me up at night and still loves water!
I recommend water births to anyone who wants to have a natural childbirth. It was like going to a day spa to have a baby! Much better than treating birth like some medical proceedure with all the monitors and stuff. I think it was much easier than my labor with my dd (hospital birth) and Ashton's transition was so calm and gentle! It really was an amazing experience!

Advertisement

skayers01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Water Births Anyone???

I had a home waterbirth with Eliana.. It was so wonderful that it made me want to have more kids, just so I can do it again! I loved it. I was so relaxed while I was in labor that my midwife contemplated making me get out of the tub cause she was worried I wasn't 'serious enough'.
My other 3 were all hospital births.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
lastaats
Registered Users
seller

I looked into having a water birth this time, but no centers near me offer them and our insurance will only cover a home birth if it's medically necessary. So i settled for a birth center w/ a large jacuzzi to labor in. They allow you to labor as long as you want in water, but require you to get out to actually birth the baby.

I had an awful pitocin-induced, medicated labor and delivery w/ my first and my 2nd was a natural hospital birth. This is my last and i really wanted to have a relaxed, supportive labor and delivery. I don't want to be just another patient rushed in and out and treated like a "job" instead of a woman who is laboring and just gave birth.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Kellyd
Registered Users

I really didn't think about it with the first 2, but did ask with the 3rd. The birthing center/hospital that I use does have jacuzzi tubs in the bathrooms, but they don't allow you to actually deliver in them. The midwife said that the hospital also doesn't keep the tubs on site- they have to order them to be delivered- and they won't order one until you actually get there- and since I deliver really fast she just didn't think they would get one there in time. I may ask if we can see about doing it this time since I'm gonna be induced.
Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to with DD #2 but kept putting off getting one for some reason. Well I guess it was a God thing cause when she was born her head came out and then I had a very hard time pushing the rest of her out and she took her 1st breath with only her head out. So it would have been bad if I was in a water tub
Barbara
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
skayers01
Registered Users

Actually I don't think she would have taken a breath had she have been in the water because it would have felt just like being in the womb, and if she had, it would have been just like swallowing af, which she was doing throught the whole pregancy. I'm glad she's fine though- and you too, ouch!

Doctors are very hesitant about having a woman birth in water for some reason. Scared of the unknown I guess. As long as you've had a normal low risk preganacy, it's completely safe and much easier on the baby! I think had someone told me to get out to birth my abbay after I spent all that time in the pool, I would have said "You want me out, come and get me because I'm not moving!"
Old 07-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

My last three were waterbirths. I love being at home and in the water while laboring. It really does provide relief. Can't imagine doing ti any other way now
Old 07-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
thetoolmaster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I attempted a waterbirth with DS last year - it was in the midwife unit of a hospital that allows waterbirths. I did most of my laboring in the tub, and pushed for 1 1/2 hours also in the tub b/4 the midwife recommended I get out of the water b/c my contractions were starting to slow down (I don't know if I was just too tired from the long waiting game - my water had broken 36 hours before I went into active labor, most of which time I spent sitting around in a hospital room - or feeling anxious b/c it was taking so long). At any rate, I ended up pushing for ANOTHER 1 1/2 hours out of the water before I finally birthed the little guy. He was quite a trooper, he was 'stuck' in my pelvic area almost the whole time I was pushing!

I was definitely disappointed to not have actually given birth in the water, but whenever DC2 comes along, I plan to try again - this time at home. I think I need to be in a "safer" atmosphere. Although I had a mostly non-interventive (is that a word?) hospital birth, it was still a hospital!
thetoolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't this time because it's been a high risk pregnancy and I'm going to have to settle for giving birth in the hospital, but I'd love to try a water birth in a birthing centre next time.

For those who have had water births, did the water get all disgusting with blood, etc. and gross you out? I'm really worried about that -- bathtubs gross me out as it is.
SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

ME ME ME!!! I had a waterbirth in a birthing center with my last. It was an awesome experience and I really hope to repeat it. You can click on the waterbirth blinkie in my sig to see pics of Hazel being born. I think hers are the only actual "birth" pics on there.