Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
bectoo
Registered Users
seller

covers for newborn?

Hi All,

What are good covers to go over infant prefolds for a newborn? I've seen some with the umbilical cord cut out and some don't have it. Do the ones that don't have it fit low enough that it wouldn't bother the umbilical cord while it's healing? I also see that most are offered in newborn or x-small. Do these fit a newborn with a prefold or is it more realistic to "size up" and order a size small? I am planning ahead for a (hopefully) future baby but my DS was 7 lbs 6 oz so I would guess another baby would be somewhat close in size. Last but not least, can anyone recommend a fleece cover for nighttime (I am interested in wool longies but not sure I really want to put in the effort to properly care for wool)? Or, is a special nighttime cover unnecessary since I will be up several times a night to feed and change diapers anyway?

Thanks,
Becky

Advertisement

bectoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
nikolaki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: covers for newborn?

A lot of people seem to like the xs thirsties with prefolds.

For fleece I would probably get a sugar peas fleece, sez windro fleece cover or pocket, or loveybums windpro fleece cover. You can wash those with your reg wash.

http://www.jamtots.com/Sugar-Peas-Wi...overs-C62.aspx
http://www.loveybums.com/index.php/a...id/9/subid/31/
Old 08-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
mansmom
Registered Users
seller

My ds was 7 lbs 9 oz and we needed the xs thirstie...over prefolds...it was the best newborn cover we had...and we tried bummis, prorap and...something else?? The thirsties had the best fit in the legs...HIGHLY recommended...and don't be scared of wool....a jersey wool cover from Loveybums is TDF...on a newborn...SO soft and cuddly....try it...seriously!!! We use thirsties and loveybums....

Mama to Mary 8/4/00, Alison 5/30/02, Nathan 12/8/04 and Sam 6/12/07....THE END!!!
mansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I hear a lot about proraps but personally I don't like them. They left big red marks on dd's legs and never fit right. I love bummis though. Their newborn is pretty perfect for most babies around 7lbs. I wouldn't size up. If anything, you want the cover to fit better than the diaper. It takes a few days to get the hang of prefolds on a wiggly newborn so you want the cover to fit well to contain poo explosions. There will be those times that NOTHING can contain that mess but your cover is your last line of defense!
I never liked fleece covers because in my opinion, the only fleece covers on the market these days are extremely bulky through the legs. I just never found what I liked in a fleece cover. It wasn't the fleece itself though. I'd rather buy a pair of old navy fleece pants for a cover and call it a day!
Don't discount wool because of the handwashing. As a previous poster said, loveybums covers are absolutely awesome. TOTALLY stretchy and deliciously soft. You will love them! Highly recommended. Knit wool longies are a big favorite of mine on newborns. Also, I am in love with Wild Child Woolies interlock wool soakers. Ours is so stretchy and soft and beautiful colors and it's got that second layer of wool in the wet zone so it works well overnight. But it's so stretchy that it's pretty trim for day use as well. Wool is what kept me cloth diapering. It's been our saving grace. Prefolds and wool 100% of the time for us! I can't wait to start all over again in 6 months when the babe comes!
Oh and by the way, I wouldn't buy a separate nighttime cover for a newborn. They poo at nearly every pee or at least every feeding so you'll be up changing quite often anyway. I changed 5 times a night and could have changed more unti lshe was about 2 months old I think???? Probably longer because she wore a kissaluvs at night and I only had 5 and she didn't outgrow her kissaluvs until like 4 months old.

Last edited by 3rockstars; 08-06-2007 at 06:36 AM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Prowraps worked fine for use but like everything i all depends on how your baby is built! Dnani

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
e-dub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

XS Thirsties! XS Thirsties!

They're my hands-down favorite. I like them much, much, much better than NB BSWW and NB Proraps (the others most often recommended).

Here's a pic on my 7lb, 10oz foster son. Lots of growing room!

oh, and I had a snappied NB prefold from GMD underneath it.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
singbanshee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you're going to go with Thirsties then don't upsize...go with the x-small or you'll get leaking.

We Carry Eco Friendly Disposables and.. Check out the rockin selection of covers and cloth diapers!
singbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
pottymomma
Registered Users
seller

I have to hijack with another related question....

How are Wiggleworm Bottoms for a newborn?

http://pottymomma.blogspot.com
pottymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
bectoo
Registered Users
seller

No problem. Thanks everyone for the advice. I certainly don't want leaking but wasn't sure if th eprefolds would be too bulky for the x-small thirsties. E-Dub, thanks for the pic. I love to see those tiny little newborn legs!

Tahnks,
Becky
bectoo is offline   Reply With Quote