Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
More L&D Adventures

Well, all day I've had a splitting headache but this afternoon it was so bad that I could hardly focus. Since my BP was so high on Monday, I called to see if I could get back in with my MW today instead of tomorrow. She said just to meet her at the hospital...yippee. So we get there and there were about 5 people ahead of me for registration (don't get me started on registration!! ) We sat there for roughly an hour and then they came and told me that they needed to get me in a room to be monitored and dh could register me and catch up with us later. Triage was full so they actually took me to an L&D room. As expected, BP was through the roof...what was unexpected was that the EFM was showing steady contractions. The nurse kept interrupting me and asking if I could feel that and I kept telling her no. She said they were really close together but never said how close or how strong...I just felt a little crampy. So they put me on IV fluids "just in case", did a catheter urine test, drew some blood, checked BP again, etc. She also did an internal exam. I asked her not to because I told her the baby was too high and I was pretty sure that I wasn't dilated or anything. When she checked, she said he is very high but I am 1 cm and 50% which is at least progress. So they kept us there for several hours during which time my BP was sky high one reading and only moderately high the next time. She said that some of the labs came back out of whack but she didn't explain which ones (other than iron being extremely low). Finally, they sent me home to follow up with my MW tomorrow and she'll explain the labs and "my options". They gave me Vistaril to help me sleep tonight and told me I'm not to get out of bed except to pee until my appt tomorrow. They also want a 24 urine test to check liver and kidney function and look for protein. By the time we left, I was actually starting to feel the contractions...not painful like they have been, but strong nonetheless. I'm a little frustrated that they sent me home...I was kind of hoping they'd just leave me there and let me rest. All this time I've been hoping to go into labor, tonight I just want to sleep. There's more but I'm tired...so off to bed now and we'll see what the MW has to say tomorrow afternoon.

Advertisement

Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:
Re: More L&D Adventures

wow! Sounds like you may be going back soon! When is your due date? You may not make it! Prayers for a safe delivery and no complications!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
lovemygirls
Registered Users
seller

wow, hope you deliver soon mama. When are you due?

Ginger
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #5
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama. sorry your having to have so many trips to the hospital.
cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #6
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not due till July 28 but I started having preterm labor at 23 weeks and up until a couple of weeks ago, the little guy was fighting to get out...we thought it would be a struggle to get to 34 weeks, then all of a sudden, about 33.5, everything just shut down. I've had off and on contractions since then but nothing like what I was having before. Very frustrating! Anyway, I'm 37 weeks today so hopefully we'll get going one way or another soon. I don't really want to be induced, I'd rather him come when he's ready...but I'm definitely ready for him to be ready. And if all this bp mess is preeclampsia, I'd feel better about encouraging him to get going for that reason than just because I'm tired of being pregnant. I want to walk or run or jump or something right now to help things along but I am nervous about the bp so I guess I'll have to keep that in check until I talk to my MW this afternoon. Hopefully she'll have something encouraging to say. I told the nurse at the hospital last night that this was the third trip for this pregnancy and when I come back, I'm not leaving without a baby in my arms! Now the only question is when...1 cm and 50 % could mean any day now or another month although I doubt my body can handle that long. Ahh the joys of pregnancy!
Old 07-06-2006, 06:47 AM   #7
Kellyd
Registered Users

Hoping to hear good baby news today!
Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I followed up with my MW on Thursday but didn't really find out much. I didn't gain any weight from Monday to Thursday which is good since I gained 11 pounds in the previous week! My BP was still borderline...extremely high for me but just below their "cutoff". She kept saying she couldn't believe how much better I looked than I had on Monday because I wasn't so swollen and I told her it was just because I'd only been out of bed for about 10 minutes. Half an hour after I left her office, I looked like the Sta-Puf Marshmallow Man. My dad actually thought my dh had beat me up because my face was so swollen...but of course the MW didn't see that...she just kept saying what a drastic improvement it was!

She said that I was dehydrated at the hospital on Wednesday night and I told her that I wasn't. She said that my ketones should have been negative but mine were 15 and that means that I was "extremely" dehydrated. At the time, I didn't know what that meant but I came home and looked it up and everything I've found looks like ketones in your urine are an indication of GD...not dehydration! And I have no other symptoms of dehydration...I'm drinking till my eyes are floating, peeing constantly, urine is almost clear, etc. I'll definitely be asking her to explain that to me a little better!

She didn't mention the iron and I forgot to ask until after I'd left.

I was halfway through the 24-urine test when I saw her so she said she'd look at the results from that as soon as they were available. Apparently there was some protein in my urine Wednesday night so the 24 hour test would measure the total amount over a 24 hour period.

She ordered a biophysical profile and amniotic fluid index for the baby to give her a better idea of what he's up to. We had that this morning. She said that she should have the results of the 24-hour urine and the BPP/AFI by this afternoon so if there was anything alarming, she'd call me today, otherwise, she'll see me first thing Monday morning. The BPP went well I think. I hate having stuff like that done at the hospital because the tech won't tell you anything...the radiologist has to review it and then send a report to your doc. But it was quick which apparently is a good sign...if he wasn't active, it would take longer. And the tech did tell us that it's definitely a boy and he's apparently quite proud of it!

So, when I left on Thursday, my MW said that for now, she is diagnosing this as PIH and not preeclampsia but we'll see what these other tests show and how things look on Monday. She said that the best thing for me right now would be to have the baby, but that she's not comfortable inducing yet because he's very high and my cervix is still too "green". Funny, two weeks ago when she checked me, she said my cervix was soft but not dilated, the nurse at the hospital said I was 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced...can you get there without the cervix being pretty "ripe"? I started Evening Primrose Oil as soon as I finished the 24-hour urine test anyway...from what I can tell, it won't hurt and it may just help a little. It is frustrating that the best way to get him to drop into a more favorable position is to walk, but I can't do that because my BP goes through the roof! Catch 22... Oh yeah, and I'm on strict bed rest until Monday...I'm allowed up to use the bathroom and go to the doctor, otherwise, I'm to be laying on my left side. Of course, she neglected to explain that to my "d"h (dumb husband?) or my 2-year old!! They've actually been *pretty* good about it so far...sadly the baby is better than dh! I can tell this isn't going to fly for long though. I'd been on modified bedrest for a while but the modification was basically that I was on bedrest except for taking care of DJ. DH wasn't happy about it and never really acknowledged it at all (just insisted I was being lazy) but I was still taking care of most of the big things. This is quite different. Also, at that time, the biggest concern was not overexerting myself and triggering labor. Now, he figures it's time to have the baby so there's nothing to worry about...I can't seem to make him understand that what's going on now is different. One minute, it seems like he understands and he's being really sweet and telling me the laundry can wait and I should lie down and rest...then the next minute, he's leaving me with DJ while he runs off to the liquor store or up to the neighbor's house to visit or goes to take a nap. And maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but I can already hear him after the baby is born "But you've been in bed for the past....(however long it turns out to be)...now it's my turn to relax and let you take care of things!" Yeah, we have issues.

Oh well, so I follow up with the MW again first thing Monday morning...until then, I rest. Yippee...