Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Update on Gallbladder- info for the other mama too!

Okay, so I went to the surgeon yesterday. She was SUPER young LOL! but I won't hold that against her, she was super knowledgeable as well, and helped me understand a lot of things.

She asked what "symptoms" I was having, so I explained that i have a constant pain in my right lower ribs and that occasionally it is a sharp shooting pain and an ache all of the way around to my back and shoulder.

She looked SHOCKED! So, I asked her about the lower fat diets and why if I am terrified of fats that I would get this disease. She said, AHHHH, that explains a lot to me. She said, "first, having had 3 children and being pregnant produces more gallstones due to the estrogen produced during pregnancy" and then " Now it makes sense on why your U/S showed me a completely full gallbladder and you have very few symptoms, keep eating the way you do and you should make it through the rest of your pregnancy without any major problems, but if you become jaundice or get a fever call immediately."
So, I guess because I eat a very low fat diet (I have not touched fried food since I was 5 years old, it honestly terrifies me) I have had a lot less symptoms than someone who eats a "normal" diet or a "high fat" diet. So, she answered my questions and I answered hers all with the same questions.

In addition, there is another mama on here having trouble with her gallbladder, the surgeon told me that they try and do the surgery during the second trimester if it is needed, because the uterus is usually still low in the pelvis and the risk of m/c has gone way down. Thus my 2nd question I have always had was answered. WHY does my Uterus hit my ribs by 20 weeks? Well, the answer is... I have a very narrow pelvis (my hips are 30-31" normally) so the baby has to grow upwards rather than sitting within my pelvis so she wouldn't have been able to do the surgery during the 2nd trimester, however, that may help the other mama out, your OB should know a surgeon that takes medical!

Hugs guys! I feel a bit better about this problem now, but it sure doesn't keep it from hurting!

Advertisement

GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Update on Gallbladder- info for the other mama too!

thanks for that info!!!!! in my case I can only go to the ER for care for things that are not pregnancy related, but with talking to my OB and social worker if I do have any more problems, like the ones you described, jaundice fever ect then I need to go to the ER and they will likly do the surgury. I am so thankful that for now I have a share of cost so I will only have to pay $888 if I need the surgury durring my pregnancy. I am one of those that eats a completly normal diet, until now. I am so scared of having more pain, and I am so scared of causing a problem with my baby that I am staying away from pretty much all fat, on a daily basis I dont take in more than 10 grams of fat, its very very hard, and very very bland but I have to do what I have to do for myself and my baby. I think the hardest thing is the fried food and the dairy anyway.... my two favorite things!!! fried mozerella, yum yum yum! anyway I have a bite of somthing now and then so that I can remember what it tastes like but never more than one bite, and I havent had any cheese or fried food since. anyway enough about me lol. I'm so glad you got some questions answered. hopfully with your awsome diet anyway you wont have any more symptoms and you can last it out your pregnancy. good luck to you mama. only a little bit more to go, way less time than me I'm only 13 weeks lol
Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanonlyimagine View Post
thanks for that info!!!!! in my case I can only go to the ER for care for things that are not pregnancy related, but with talking to my OB and social worker if I do have any more problems, like the ones you described, jaundice fever ect then I need to go to the ER and they will likly do the surgury. I am so thankful that for now I have a share of cost so I will only have to pay $888 if I need the surgury durring my pregnancy. I am one of those that eats a completly normal diet, until now. I am so scared of having more pain, and I am so scared of causing a problem with my baby that I am staying away from pretty much all fat, on a daily basis I dont take in more than 10 grams of fat, its very very hard, and very very bland but I have to do what I have to do for myself and my baby. I think the hardest thing is the fried food and the dairy anyway.... my two favorite things!!! fried mozerella, yum yum yum! anyway I have a bite of somthing now and then so that I can remember what it tastes like but never more than one bite, and I havent had any cheese or fried food since. anyway enough about me lol. I'm so glad you got some questions answered. hopfully with your awsome diet anyway you wont have any more symptoms and you can last it out your pregnancy. good luck to you mama. only a little bit more to go, way less time than me I'm only 13 weeks lol
I'll be sending lots of positive thoughts your way! I understand the pain all too well! (Its added reflux for me which I have never had and now I know how my poor middle kiddo felt for his first few years of life.) Hugs to you, I am sorry you are experiencing this so early. - I was told I probably have had them for years, just haven't noticed because of how I eat - I am terrified because my family is extremely obese, everyone but me because of this fear, which is probably completely irrational) Hopefully medicaid pays most of the surgery for me as well, I figure if they dont' the hospital also has options for those of us that make very little, and the doctors office will take payments usually. (not that we can really afford making over 4.00 or so a month.) Hugs!! I hope you don't have any more big problems with yours either, mine is just a constant dull ache and a few sharp twinges throughout the day, which I can "deal" with. Hopefully yours isn't much worse.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Re: surgery during pregnancy: I had it at 15 weeks for an ovarian cyst, and it went well. That is definitely a good time to have things done. I wonder if an OB would do the surgery? My OB did mine, and I was very pleased with it.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my Gallbladder removed when I was 7months pregnant with my DD! The ENTIRE pregnancy I had awful pain under my rib and every morning for like 20minutes it was so bad I had to lay down and rock back and forth, I could barely breathe!

I kept asking my DR what it could be and said I think its my Gallbladder so many times, everytime she said noway your too young take some tylenol! Ugh! One night I couldnt walk, talk or breathe the pain was so bad so our neighbors took me to the ER because I though I was in Pre-term labor and TADA my Gallbladder was so infected within 2 hours I was in surgery!

ANYWAY, sorry about the story but I know how AWFUL it is and hopefully you can get through the rest of your pregnancy!

(I didnt eat fried foods either)

ETA: Before the DR knew how bad it was they said the best bet was to live on Tuna, Bread and none fried chicken for the rest of my pregnancy!

Last edited by Calideedle; 08-04-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
the8dunlaps
Registered Users
seller
seller

OB's will do cysts, because it's "girly parts stuff" but I don't think they do gallbladder surgery.
Hugs mamas.

http://https://www.facebook.com/TheHappyHippos
Cloth diapers, accessories, baby gowns, nursing cover ups, towels, blankets, capes and more!!!
the8dunlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7dunlaps View Post
OB's will do cysts, because it's "girly parts stuff" but I don't think they do gallbladder surgery.
Hugs mamas.
They do!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
the8dunlaps
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh wow, sorry, I was wrong. I had no idea. COOL!

http://https://www.facebook.com/TheHappyHippos
Cloth diapers, accessories, baby gowns, nursing cover ups, towels, blankets, capes and more!!!
the8dunlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7dunlaps View Post
Oh wow, sorry, I was wrong. I had no idea. COOL!
I know they prefer not too and if you/they think you can get through the rest of your pregnancy okay they will wait under after to see if you need it out!

Not fun
Old 08-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
danaalex
Registered Users

i was reading on line today about gallstones and lemon juice. and i have to think that the reason i haven't had another attack since oct. is because i started drinking lemon juice in almost all of my water, and taking acidophilus.

google gallstones and lemon juice. there is a ton of info on a cleanse of the liver and gallbladder that includes lemon juice and olive oil. you can't do it while PG, but if drinking lemon juice everyday helps you get through the pregnancy, then i think it's worth it. and then after the babe comes you can either try the cleanse or go straight to the surgeon.