Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The hospital called today, and I can't have my baby there

that is absolutely ridiculous... i would call the insurance company and ask what you can do about a hospital that wont treat you according to your own wishes..

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

WOW. That is unreal!

I think I would call back and request a letter that states everything she said. That cannot be legal somehow!

Mama, I am so sorry this is happening! I hope for you that everything works out as it should

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. – His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

Last edited by Rosella; 08-09-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #13
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I doubt that your doula would be on board with an unassisted birth. That is a HUGE liability. Try Craig's list. There may be a midwife looking for her certification/licensing that might be able to help you out.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
averysmom
Registered Users

I'm proud of you for sticking to your guns. I hate that you have to go through this so close to having your little one. It's flat out not fair. They should be honoring what the 1st lady that you had the meeting with said. Have you called your ob? If so what does he/she say about the situation?

I'm soooo sorry. I am praying for you. All things will work out.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
ecrawfor80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you just plan to labor at home for as long as possible?? If you come in right before the baby is born then they wouldn't be having time to "check you every hour" and won't be monitored for very long. Also, you CAN deny the vit K, eye goop and hep B. Tell them you will sign whatever they want you to sign to wave it, but it will not be allowed. Also, have dh or your doula with the baby whenever you are not. It may be an annoying (at best) experience, but it would stink to go into dept over it, KWIM?? Whoever is telling you this won't be with you when you have the baby, so it's more if you trust your midwife to support you in your birthplan. Have you worked with her before? Will she stay with you through the whole labor? If so she can tell the nurses not to monitor you and so on.
I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this so late. Honestly....my trick was to tell them what they wanted to hear and then do what I knew was best. I cried when they told me I had to have an IV (i was induced), but in the end it was still natural even though I had an IV so it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be. And hourly vaginal checks are annoying, but at least you'll get a "progress report". (just to look on the positive side)
Good luck mama! I hope that you are able to work something out that you feel comfortable with.
ecrawfor80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #16
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry to hear about your problem. FWIW we had hospital deliveries and the nurses, doctors were great. Our birthplan was simple. No unnecessary interventions, etc. I did have an IV with DS3, but with midwife (no doc), I did not have hourly vaginal checks, I was on monitoring, but that was due to being induced as babe was overdue. Everything went well. We did "opt out" of the Hep B (??) immunization they wanted to give before leaving hospital - he'd already had enough "tests" and I just didn't feel like having him poked one more time at just 36 hours old. I just told the nurse I did not want it and where did she want me to sign to refuse the vaccination. That was it.

Try to stay calm (ha! good advice for a momma at the end of her pregnancy). But, I do recommend you stay relaxed, calm for baby's sake. It will all work out. You could always just "have the baby" at home - oops ...

Hang in there!

Did you have anything in writing from the previous L&D person? You may have something if you have it in writing.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.

Last edited by frogandtoad; 08-09-2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typos
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #17
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama, I'm sorry this is happening to you. Remember that everything happens for a reason, and this is a big way of ruling out a hospital birth, which may be a very good thing. IMO, your baby does not want to be born there. I wish a peaceful homebirth for you!

I went unassisted with my first baby, which strengthened my trust instead of fear. (I had my close friends to help, but no midwife or doula.) The hospital is always there if some complication happens. You already know that most complications are caused by unneccesary intervention, and that our bodies are made to give birth naturally, as women have been doing it for a very long time.

I really recommend the book Special Delivery by Rahima Baldwin (it's probably at the library)...it a great reference for homebirth and covers emergency info as well. Good luck, mama!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #18
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
that is absolutely ridiculous... i would call the insurance company and ask what you can do about a hospital that wont treat you according to your own wishes..
I have medicaid, and I've done as much pushing with that as I possibly can.

Quote:
I doubt that your doula would be on board with an unassisted birth. That is a HUGE liability.
I know. We could plan on calling her if we did have to go to the hospital...lots to figure out before then. And my local craigslist doesn't have jack of ANYTHING.

Quote:
Have you called your ob? If so what does he/she say about the situation?
I called my OB's office and asked when I could come by and pick up my records. I've decided I am not going to that hospital under any circumstances...there are plenty of others I could go to that are closer to home. The only reasons I wanted to go there is because they had the whirlpool/natural room, and I like that my OB doesn't share call. To me, having my birthplan honored is more important than anything else, and that will not happen at this hospital. (I had bad vibes even at the tour, if ya'll remember my post about it).

Quote:
Can you just plan to labor at home for as long as possible?? If you come in right before the baby is born then they wouldn't be having time to "check you every hour" and won't be monitored for very long.
Yes, we definitely plan on doing this, but my doula told me today that even if I labor for hours and hours at home (or days), I could show up thinking I'm just about ready to push and only be 1cm. I don't want to get my hopes up about that just yet (though it is my deepest, darkest wish that I will show up crowning!).

Quote:
Also, you CAN deny the vit K, eye goop and hep B. Tell them you will sign whatever they want you to sign to wave it, but it will not be allowed.
I know this, and I told the lady I'm ready to sign waivers now.

Quote:
And hourly vaginal checks are annoying, but at least you'll get a "progress report". (just to look on the positive side)
I'm not letting them do more than 2 checks on me under any circumstances. Maybe less than that. I know they'll do one when I arrive at the hospital, and perhaps another when I am ready to push.

Quote:
Try to stay calm (ha! good advice for a momma at the end of her pregnancy). But, I do recommend you stay relaxed, calm for baby's sake. It will all work out. You could always just "have the baby" at home - oops ...

Hang in there!

Did you have anything in writing from the previous L&D person? You may have something if you have it in writing.
Yea...stay calm. lol.

The previous L&D woman was sending me stuff "in the mail" stating that she would be OK with this. I asked about it, and the new woman said she had resigned, and that it probably wasn't on it's way. So no, I have nothing.

And to the pp, I wanted a homebirth from the get-go. Maybe this is fate's way of giving me what I wanted to begin with? I hope so!

Last edited by Hopper Graphics; 08-09-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #19
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I really hope you can end up with a homebirth if you are both ok with that , but if nothing else works out for you and you have to use this hospital then stick to your guns , they can not MAKE you do anything ( as you know ) and would be in violation of the EMTALA , something I greatly encourage pg mommas to learn about . I hate when hospitals think they have the right to tell you what they will and won't do , I really hate to see this happen . Good luck hun I know you shouldn't have to fight for what you want .

useful links
click the EMTALA / Anti-Dumping Laws link on the side
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/legal.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/patient...ts?cat=biz-fin

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #20
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that truly sucks!!! I wish you the best of luck finding a hospital or birthing center that will work with you!!
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote