Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #11
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you turn your LO FF in the car at 20# and 1yr?

DD is 19 months, 21 lbs and happily RF and will be until she reaches the seats limits. It's a safety issue and she is definitely safest this way!

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep. Well, he was 13 months and 20lbs. We can't fit his carseat in the car rear facing if someone needs to sit in the front seat. It's impossible. And no, we can't afford a new car, we are desperately needing one! Plus, Jack screamed and cried and hated the car. When we swtiched him, he did fine in the car from then on out. In general, I don't think that's a good reason to switch them, but for me, I could not focus on driving because he was so insanely loud and upset. Which is far less safe than him being FF.

I don't regret turning him at all. I do hope that with the next baby they are a bit more laid back and we have a better car by then and they can stay RF as long as possible. Just with Jack, this was the best option for us at the time. If we're able to get another car, I am going to try to turn him back around! We'll see how that goes.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #13
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:

when my girls got too tall for their rear facing infant seat we got toddler seats which don't rearface. so they turned front facing. they were only 22ish lbs though, and over 2 years old.

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #14
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandme View Post
DS was well over 20# when he hit a year, I think we turned him pretty shortly after that. We regularily were making 4-7 hour car trips at that time and he was MUCH happier in the car FF. Personally I think you have to find a balance between what is the most absolute safest and what will work best for your family. If your child is perfectly content RF and seems comfortable then I'd leave them.
I agree, at the time we were driving 6-9 hours once a month. It was safer to have him ff than rf and screaming the whole time, distracted mommy and upset older kids because of all the noise.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We turned DD after her 1st birthday. She is 22 pounds. Shes a much happier baby in the car when she can actually see us.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #16
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is only just 20-21lbs now at 16mths but we won't be turning him FF until he hits the weight limit for his Boulevard.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #17
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

We will not be turning Maddie FF until she is at the max weight for RF on her Marathon. I will get some links as to WHY keeping a baby RFing for as long as possible is safer.

ETA: Car seat manufacturers do not recommend to turn FF at 1 year and 20 lbs, they recommend keeping a child RF to the limits of the convertible seat...the manual, if you read it, states this. In addition, the AAP says to keep children RF to the limits of the convertible safety seat.

Will add video links shortly.

Last edited by Maddie&Jake'sMom; 08-09-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #18
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Yep. Well, he was 13 months and 20lbs. We can't fit his carseat in the car rear facing if someone needs to sit in the front seat. It's impossible. And no, we can't afford a new car, we are desperately needing one! Plus, Jack screamed and cried and hated the car. When we swtiched him, he did fine in the car from then on out. In general, I don't think that's a good reason to switch them, but for me, I could not focus on driving because he was so insanely loud and upset. Which is far less safe than him being FF.

I don't regret turning him at all. I do hope that with the next baby they are a bit more laid back and we have a better car by then and they can stay RF as long as possible. Just with Jack, this was the best option for us at the time. If we're able to get another car, I am going to try to turn him back around! We'll see how that goes.

Man, I could've written that post. Joey hated being RF so I switched him as soon as I could. He was well over 20lbs at a year old and I needed him to stop screaming so I could drive and not lose my mind. There were days I screamed with him because I just couldn't take it.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #19
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

Well yes I did but I didn't realize that they should be rf longer. I was uneducated. We turned her back around at about 18m. She will be rf hopefully until 35lbs as will dd2.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #20
ethansemi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ethan was 18 months and 30+ pounds (the RF limit for our Britax roundabout)and so long he could only sit RF by crossing his legs They just need to make the seats in vans ect rear facing!! I know the VW vans do.