Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Weird experience at walmart - no you can't hold my baby

Wednesday morning I had to take landon to the doctor b/c he'd been feeling bad over the weekend, hot, crying all the time, coughing got worse and worse, teething....hands in the mouth non stop. So take him to get checked out...no big deal. We gave him otc meds for a few things prior to coming to see the doc.

Okay so I take him and he's got a nasty ear infection in his left ear. His first one, but again no big deal b/c kids occasionally get them and we'd been in the pool alot lately so??? HIs gums are very swollen and cruddy stuff up his nose. So we leave and go get Rx filled at walmart and some more motrin cuz I only had a little left at the house. It was 10 something I believe by the time we left the doctor. When I went to get him out of the car he was sleeping. So I carried him and not worried about a buggy. Waiting on the rx so I go look at price on bread pans to kill time. I get back to the pharmacy and I pay for his medicine. A lady approaches me and thinks I'm still waiting. SO then she comments on landon being asleep. She offers advice on this and that and tells me not to worry about her b/c she's just a grandmother. She 'prayed' for landon kind of under her breath...nothing bad, just she felt led to I guess. I didnt' see anything wrong with it..well then she offers to hold landon while I go shopping in the store. What the heck?? First I told her I got his medicine and we were going home, so no thank you. SHe still didn't seem to think we were leaving and that I really needed her help, I was like NO we're about to go straight home (though we were actually going to the babysitter. lol) I didn't come here to go shopping. Only other thing I had to get was the motrin for landon and we were out of there. She was very nice about everything but still who in their right mind would think someone would leave their baby with a complete stranger. Oh and she thought I needed to give him his medicine right there in the store. I'm not getting droppers and all that out and doing that to him. #1 he was asleep and #2 you just don't do that. Ughhh it was just weird!!

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
Re: Weird experience at walmart - no you can't hold my baby

Maybe she's just lonely (not that'd you'd leave your baby with a stranger).

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

I guess this must be a south thing...............why you say?

I am from AZ, we have only been in NC for a year now. Last year when we moved here some random lady asked to hold my 1yo. I was like no sorry and that was it. then one day DH was at the store with DS and it was raining really bad. So they were outside wait for it to die down and some girl/lady IDK asks DH if he wants to get the car and she will stay with our son. he was like heck no.

I don't get why ppl think someone would leave their child with them really it boggles my mind!

Do ppl actually leave their kids with strangers?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
mommy2alisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaliff View Post
Maybe she's just lonely (not that'd you'd leave your baby with a stranger).
There is a senior citizen apartment by my house and an elderly lady always invites me to bring my girls over to visit her. At first I thought it was really weird, but like the pp said, she is probably just lonely. Alot of seniors are.
It is kind of scary though. You never know who would try to kidnap a baby, kwim?
When I first bought Shaylah home from the hospital I had people say some really strange things. She was a preemie so she tiny for a long time. She always got alot of attention when we went out. People would come and ask to pray over her. People would ask to hold her. They would try and touch her ect.

Last edited by mommy2alisa; 08-10-2007 at 09:46 AM.
mommy2alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah..I had a lady offer to hold our DS while we were eating dinner at a restaraunt...uh..no thanks! Sorry..I don't let strangers hold my kids..
Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

I have once...kind of... My current youngest ran off while I was online at a store and although I could see her she was going farther and farther away. So I had my other 2 holding onto the cart and doing the whip lash thing looking for allie and then looking back at the other 2. The lady behind me says 'don't worry go get her'. So I did. Keep in mind I had visual on all my kids...just not in hands reach...
Old 08-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Um yeah, no thanks.

I don't know about it being a Southern thing. I have lived in NC for 4 years now and I lived in VA for many years before that....I never had anyone try to hold my kids that I didn't know. Maybe I just give off that vibe though?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2alisa View Post
There is a senior citizen apartment by my house and an elderly lady always invites me to bring my girls over to visit her. At first I thought it was really weird, but like the pp said, she is probably just lonely. Alot of seniors are.
It is kind of scary though. You never know who would try to kidnap a baby, kwim?

I agree she could have been lonely. OUr next door neighbor's wife when landon was first born told me that by the time he was walking she'd have him walking over to her house all the time. She's since then passed away but I went to visit her husband once and seemed like it take forever to get away!! He needed the company but I agree they are like that. (Lonely)
Old 08-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree somewhat it could be a southern thing, in the sense of some people down here still wave to each other when passing and like there's an older man in my neighborhood that walks every morning. Sometimes he likes to come 'look' at landon for a second when I'm putting him in his carseat. But at the same time there are so many sex offenders , kidnappers, you name it floating around you can't trust anyone, kwim?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
ethansemi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I guess this must be a south thing...............why you say?
I think so!! When I moved to NC I was shocked strangers said "hi" to each other!!! Also I think the older southern ladies aren't thinking about what the world is like today...they just say things to us that people would say to them when they were young moms!! I've ALWAYS had my baby/toddler in a sling so not many asked If I needed them to hold Ethan. But plenty of older ladies have told me where they live if I ever needed a babysitter!! HEHE!! Different world now...