Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #11
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Weird experience at walmart - no you can't hold my baby

I've had people offer to watch ds1 (when he was a baby) so that I could go get the car and not have to carry him out there. I never took them up on it...WEIRD!

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
jadedhkr
Registered Users
seller

For some reason Louise attracts people like magnets. People are always petting her and wanting to hold her. Luckily, she is not quite as excited as they are and she shies away.

When she was about a month old, we were coming out of meijers and a man came running up to us asking all kinds of questions. He was all giddy and cooing over Louise, I might have freaked out, but his wife was standing a few feet away rolling her eyes. Some people just love babies.

I love the southern attitude, while vacationing in Arkansas one year I had a lady stop me outside a store and tell me not to worry, I was doing a wonderful job with my children. At the time I was frantically trying to keep them all together and out of the traffic. lol
Venus Vanguard
jadedhkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #13
mom2mybumpy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Once I had to let a stranger hold my baby. I was in the restaurant at IKEA and dd was 21 mos old, ds was about 6 weeks. I had been giving him a bottle when she managed to wiggle out of her chair and took off. I caught her, by the back of her shirt and there we stood. If I tried to put ds down in the stroller, I'd have to let her go and she'd be gone. In IKEA, which has a occupancy capacity of 6500! But I couldn't muscle her into the stroller with ds in my hand, b/c he was so tiny his little head was still wobbly and all that.

So I just stood there for about 2 minutes weighing my options until this woman at the table next to me asked if I would like her to hold ds until I could get my daughter situated in the stroller. I took her up on it and held my breath the entire time, but I had no choice. But in this case, she was right next to me the entire time, not all the way in a different part of the store. Still, it was nerve wracking, although she really did turn out to be just a helpful woman who saw that I was totally stuck. What gets me though is the strangers who just want to hold your baby for no reason. Blows my mind in this day and age that anyone would even ask!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

The other day it was raining hard as I was leaving the mall and a man offered me $10 to watch his ~3 y/o son while he ran to go get the car.

So, yep, people do seem to like to leave their kids with perfect strangers!!

BTW, I did watch his son but didn't take the money. I told him that I had 2 rug-rats of my own and sure didn't want to take his (no offense!)
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #15
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysMama View Post
The other day it was raining hard as I was leaving the mall and a man offered me $10 to watch his ~3 y/o son while he ran to go get the car.

So, yep, people do seem to like to leave their kids with perfect strangers!!

BTW, I did watch his son but didn't take the money. I told him that I had 2 rug-rats of my own and sure didn't want to take his (no offense!)

LMAO
Old 08-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #16
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah&Johanna's_Mommie View Post
I guess this must be a south thing...............why you say?
I really think it might be a southern thing because we are originally from IN and I have NEVER gotten that up there, but down here in SC I get it ALL the time. Its rather frightening that some would think that you would let a total stranger hold you kids.

I also get ppl that want to get right in their faces or want to touch them. It drives me nuts !!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
De-lovely
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Awww I bet she was lonely....I still wouldnt have left him but thats kinda pitiful. I had an elderly lady come up one day when Quinn was just a couple of monthes old in the produce aisle and ask if she could hold his hand because "it has been so long since I have touched a baby this small"-I am talking this lady was like 70 -80 easy....it totally gave me a lump in my throat right then and there and I said of course. It was precious.
Niki: single, divorced, missin' CD's, no vax, no circ, wish I coulda homeschooled, sneaker obsessed, poet, avid reading, meditating, sometimes knitting, music junkie, film enthusiast WOHmama to Emma 11/28/03, Elena 11/28/04, Quinn 4/22/06 and Cora 10/26/07...
De-lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #18
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

it happens here too and im on the west coast, i wondered that too, do people really leave their kids with strangers?
i may sound overprotective but we barely left the kids for the first time last year when me and dh went out on a date for like 2 hours and they stayed with my mil and we went and picked them up and brought them home, they didnt even spend the night..LOL
my mom think sim nuts, i won't let anyone babysit the kids, their either with me or dh at all times
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #19
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's a southern thing too. My inlaws went to Texas to visit my sil, there at the airport a lady hands my fil her toddler and says can you hold him while she went into the bathroom. He said it was just strange, he was afraid she wasn't going to come back or something.

I've had a lady in line at the bank ask to hold my lo, after I told her no she said something about how her heritage has some belief that if you have this feeling that you need to hold a baby and don't something bad will happen to them. I was a little freaked out and didn't leave the bank until I'd seen her drive away.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #20
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah&Johanna's_Mommie View Post
I guess this must be a south thing...............why you say?

I am from AZ, we have only been in NC for a year now. Last year when we moved here some random lady asked to hold my 1yo. I was like no sorry and that was it. then one day DH was at the store with DS and it was raining really bad. So they were outside wait for it to die down and some girl/lady IDK asks DH if he wants to get the car and she will stay with our son. he was like heck no.

I don't get why ppl think someone would leave their child with them really it boggles my mind!

Do ppl actually leave their kids with strangers?
I'm crackin up at this not bc of the story, but it reminds me of somethin that happend to dd and I not too long ago. We were at Sam's on a Saturday, and we were leaving and it started flood pouring. Not raining - I'm mean a flash flood. So, they wouldn't let me go out the in door (my car was right by that door), and I was upset about that. The door attendant said oh you can leave her w/me and go get your car - I said umm no I'm not gonna leave my dd w/a complete stranger. So, we made a run for it, and dd thought it was the funnest thing ever!! We were soaked! I lost a flip flop, but did manage to save it + dd was still munchin on her free super soggie cookie she was given bc she rarely gets sweets. I know you just had to be there, but it made it all better that she was grinin ear to ear all bc she still had her cookie, and had fun goin thru the rain. I on the other hand could've been in a wet tee shirt contest as my shirt was white

guess I hijacked this! I do think it's a southern thing, and that the older generation just doesn't think about how scarey the world really is. It really wouldn't surprize me if ppl did leave their kids like that tho - some ppl just don't think.

Last edited by blissfullyblessed; 08-10-2007 at 01:43 PM.
blissfullyblessed is offline   Reply With Quote