Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #21
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Re: Weird experience at walmart - no you can't hold my baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnSAlger View Post
I have once...kind of... My current youngest ran off while I was online at a store and although I could see her she was going farther and farther away. So I had my other 2 holding onto the cart and doing the whip lash thing looking for allie and then looking back at the other 2. The lady behind me says 'don't worry go get her'. So I did. Keep in mind I had visual on all my kids...just not in hands reach...

I had a similar situation. Sage was about 2 months old and it was a rare time she was in the infant seat in a cart at Meijer (usually she was in the sling) Maia (2 1/2) took off running at full speed through the shoes, lingere, clothes, basically the whole store. I am running with the cart trying to find her as she had made so many turns, I could hear her but not see her. She was getting further and further away because the cart was so hard to maneuver. I was crying and yelling her name and there was a mom with her 3 girls between 8-12 probably trying on shoes. I stopped the cart next to them, yelled please watch the baby and took off at full speed to get Maia. Luckily she was wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers Jersey and saw guy with one on and she stopped to say "STEELERS!!!" Bless him, he crouched down and talked to her to keep her in one place and yelled "Hey Mom, she's here in the boys department." I grabbed her, thanked him immensely and ran with Maia back to the shoe department to find the mother and her daughters cooing over Sage. I did run past 3-4 people who were by themselves before coming across the mother and daughters. I figured a mom with 3 kids wouldn't want my extra one!

Advertisement

mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #22
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-lovely View Post
Awww I bet she was lonely....I still wouldnt have left him but thats kinda pitiful. I had an elderly lady come up one day when Quinn was just a couple of monthes old in the produce aisle and ask if she could hold his hand because "it has been so long since I have touched a baby this small"-I am talking this lady was like 70 -80 easy....it totally gave me a lump in my throat right then and there and I said of course. It was precious.
Awww that bought a lump to my throat. That was very swwet of you to let her touch his hand.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #23
Sabey-baby
Registered Users
seller

I had a lady kiss my DS's toes once! Now, talking about it, it sounds so strange and random, but it was actually really sweet. She was very elderly, so small that she was eye level with DS's feet in his infant carrier in the shopping cart. DS was only a few months old and was sleeping. I had him right next to me while i was getting produce, so my head was turned, but i was right there, kwim? Anyway, I turn and there is this tiny lady there and she plants the sweetest kiss on his bare toes. I just stared, not sure what to say. She looks at me, says something in what I think was Russian (the area we lived at the time had a lot of Eastern European immigrants), squeezes my hand and walks away with her tiny dh supporting her. I told DH about it and he was kind of freaked out, and if the circumstances were different, I may have been, too. Somehow, though, the feeling was totally not like that. It was, well, sweet. I don't know how else to explain it.

I've never had a stranger ask to hold my babies, though. I can't imagine someone really expecting you to take them up on that. But I can see, how some people have shared, needing some stranger's help in certian situations.

I'm ROFL at the guy that offered the $10 to watch his kid!!
1/10/03, 2/2/06, 7/17/08, #12/19/11
I sew.
Sabey-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #24
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

On 2 separate occasions I have stepped an arm's reach away from the cart to grab something off the shelf. I still had visual, and I have had women come up to my children and kiss them on the mouth....!!!!!!!!!! I had to stop myself from punching them in the face....totally not welcome. One of those women was a Walmart associate...I politely told her that I would appreciate it if she kept her lips to herself.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #25
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:

When my DD was 7 weeks old and had just got out of the NICU a week earlier I had to go for my post partum check up. It was the first time I took her anywhere and I was so nervous. At the DR's office some lady asked if she could hold her. I was pretty weirded out, she was only 6 lbs looked very much like a newborn (this was right around her due date). I would never ask a stranger if I could hold their baby, even if I really wanted too!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #26
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

wtf, she must have been senial, nobody asks something like that I dont even know what I would do Id be dumbfounded.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #27
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had people offer to hold my kids, and I have been known to let them but its in certain situations where I really need a hand (like at the checkout when im trying to write a check with a baby that wont be put down).. and its usually the checkout clerk offering.. I figure the cashier cant exactly take off w/ my kid when they are working, kwim? I also have gotten offers like that at stores, Drs offices, etc generally because people see me struggling trying to lug around 45 pounds of baby (I have 2), a diaper bag, and if Im shopping, my bags too. I usually will decline if I have it under control (which I generally do), but every now and then I really DO need the extra hands. Oh yes, and my neighbors (whome I dont know.. we live in a complex with 32 families) have also offered and I have let them. I guess Im just a trusting person and I grew up like that, so i guess I dont think its that weird.. but then again I live in a small town.. and if its an elderly person I figure thats just how it was when they were young, kwim?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #28
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's Walmart for ya!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #29
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was going into wal-mart one day with DD and putting her carseat cover in. A mom with a toddler the same age as DD and a pre-schooler came in after us and the pre-schooler took off. She had her toddler already in the cart and took off after the pre-schooler and in the run asked if I could watch her baby, I had no problems with it. I pushed my cart over next to the other one, buckled both the girls in and waited until she caught her other one. It was interesting but with more then one, I can totally see doing something like that!!!
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #30
rrmrose
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the more kids you have the more you might need help from a stranger. . . . . . . . . I have an autistic dd and I had to hand my 7 week old son another mom at a park because dd went up the steps to go down the slide then got scared to come down. I could not carry him up there safely and carry her down with me as well.

Rachel
rrmrose is offline   Reply With Quote