Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Kristabel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
thinking about trying PFs...what do you love about them?

We have mostly pockets here, a few AIOs, and a handful of fitteds (that are used at night under wool). However lately, in this warm/humid weather, dd's been getting what looks like some heat rashes around her legs where the elastic hits her.

I recently learned how to knit and am looking forward to using wool this fall and winter, and so I'm *thinking* about trying out PFs. But, I do have some questions...

What do you all love about prefolds?
Is the outside usually soaked after one pee?
How many should I get?
Do you wash them the same as pockets?
Can I get them embroidered? If so, do I need to do anything special to them if they are embroidered? (I ask this because my aunt has a kick-butt emb. machine!)

Anything else you can share would be great! I would use a snappi, not pins. And, I have NO covers, so I guess I'd have to get a few of those as well.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:
Re: thinking about trying PFs...what do you love about them?

What do you all love about prefolds? I love the simplicity and honestly the trimness. No other dipe (other than maybe the BGs) were ever that trim! They're easy to wash, throw in the dryer (or line dry) and once they're dry, put them on your LO. No stuffing pockets, no long drying time, nada.
Besides all that I really like the economical factor. We can't spend much $ at all so I get a lot of dipes for 'little' money in comparison to other fitteds retailing from 10$ up, kwim?

Is the outside usually soaked after one pee? For my heavy wetter, if I don't use a doubler, yes. I have the 4x8x4 ones.

How many should I get? I think that depends on how old your LO is and how often she/he pees. I personally always felt comfortable with having 2-3 dozen PFs. This way I can go 2 days w/o washing, technically even 3 days, but I like to wash my dipes every 3rd day

Do you wash them the same as pockets? Yes Plus very occaisionally you can even use a teeny bit of bleach w/PFs

Can I get them embroidered? If so, do I need to do anything special to them if they are embroidered? (I ask this because my aunt has a kick-butt emb. machine!) Yes, you can get them embroidered.
I don't know about the care/doing anything special with them as I don't own any embroidered PFs

HTH

Last edited by FitMommyOf2; 08-10-2007 at 12:52 PM.
FitMommyOf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
2sunshines
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My biggest love about prefolds is how SUPER EASY they are to care for. I mean, you'd be hard pressed to ruin a prefold, ya know. No worrying about elastics wearing out, velcro getting pilly, etc. I love how trim they are. I love how CHEAP they are. I love how easy they are.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Sirion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What do you all love about prefolds? I love that they are cheap and feel so soft. I love that the fabric is very breathable. I love that a good pinned prefold is trimmer than any other diaper I've ever seen, especially in the rear. I love that they are plain and simple looking.
Is the outside usually soaked after one pee? Soaked, no, wet, yeah. When I use my regular 4x6x4 prefolds on my 18 month girl, they get wet on the outside after one pee. With my Rainbow Short premiums, it takes two pees to get them wet to the outside.
How many should I get? AffordableDiapers.com has a set of six seconds for really cheap. I forget how much, but the shipping is also reasonable. I'd start with six and see what you think. They are so hard to resell because the cost of shipping is so high, so don't overbuy at first. Altogether now I have 12 UBIPF's from LIttle Lions and 6 GMD Rainbow Shorts (sold out). That's plenty to wash every other day and only use my AIO's when Dh does diaper changes (like 1 a day max).
Do you wash them the same as pockets? Easier than pockets because they are so forgiving. You can use practically any detergent, even, dare I say it? bleach them every year or so if you want to. But you can wash with pockets, too, although the lint may get on your fleece.
Can I get them embroidered? If so, do I need to do anything special to them if they are embroidered? (I ask this because my aunt has a kick-butt emb. machine!) Can't see why not..
Old 08-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
radmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a pocket mama. But while I was waiting for my pockets to be made, I used pf's. It took a little getting used to, but I could've loved it.

There's nothing to stuff. There's nothing to un-stuff (not a real word, I'm sure), so you don't get poop all over yourself while trying to pull the insert out of the pocket. Stains come out easily in the sun. You can use them as burp cloths in a pinch.

I'd start with at least 24. Plan on washing them several times b/c they don't show up at your door in ready-to-use condition (unless you buy used, which I recommend).

Also, I like the snappi enclosure. You'll want a few. One for the diaper bag and at least 2 others floating around.

If you have a heavy wetter, it may be uncomfortable while they adjust. My ds HATED being wet. I changed the dipe after EVERY peepee. After about a week, he would be content for about 2 hours. So I changed him every 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

I love the bummis covers. With snaps. The velcro enclosures snag my shirts and stick to everything in the washer.

I'm new to this (almost 2 months strong) so that's all I can tell you!

Good luck, Mama!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
kcprochazka
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think eveyone has answered really well! We love our prefolds, even though we have a lot of different fitteds, pockets and AIOs too. We use prefolds almost exclusively during the day at home. I have 48 pfs (and another dozen coming) so that I can keep some in the car and truck for emergencies and still have enough at home. We use a preemie or newborn PF as a doubler and it's still a really trim diaper system when topped with some wool. I do find myself changing the prefolds more often than other systems - but the doubler inside really helps with that.

I wash every day, but part of that is because I hate having dirty dipes hanging around if there's nothing in the washer. Plus we have 2 in dipes, so it works better for us to have them clean (because there are days where we go through a TON of dipes!) All my dipes go together - I don't have patience for any that need to be washed separately.

Good luck - we love our PFs! They are just so simple!
Babywearing, CDing, BFing, HSing Mama to a 9 year old boy, 8 year old fraternal twin girls, 4 year old identical twin boys, 2 year old baby boy Quinn and hoping to welcome our rainbow baby in the Spring!
Avi: The girls at 1.5 years old in Blueberry Minkee Pockets!
kcprochazka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
mansmom
Registered Users
seller

SIMPLICITY says it all!! I used FB pockets on my son forever and then switched to prefolds and coveres...wool or PUL and I was in LOVE!!! Easy washing, my girls can put them away for me (NO MORE STUFFING!) Dry quickly in dryer or in the sun!! My ds1 is 2.5 years old and knows when he is wet...so he tells us...I think that makes the PLing thing MUCH MUCH easier! We use rainbow shorts on heavy wetter ds2 and premiums on ds1...we LOVE green mountain diaper prefolds!!!! Thirsties covers (for PUL) rock over a prefold!!!

Mama to Mary 8/4/00, Alison 5/30/02, Nathan 12/8/04 and Sam 6/12/07....THE END!!!
mansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
abacus2
Registered Users
seller

I've been CDing for about 9 months. I started with all pockets and am now using prefolds almost everytime I change a diaper (DH uses the pockets). Doublers are your friend; a quality PF with a doubler is as absorbant as almost any diaper on the market. I love how cheap and durable PFs are. My expensive dipes were showing wear more quickly than I liked and I want to save money and reuse diapers for future children. PFs are super easy to wash, dry, and put up. I love that I can get a nice trim fit with no elastic red marks. If you're going to try prefolds, get one set of Dritz pins and use them for at least one whole day with folds with lots of fabric at the front like the newspaper fold before you decide you don't want to use pins. I found myself forced to try pins one day when I was out of other options and after about 6 changes I felt comfortable with them. IMO, pins give a much better fit than a Snappi and are quicker once you get used to them. Also, Snappis should not be used without a cover.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We recently switched over to using mostly prefolds (the rainbow shorts) and ooohhhhh, they're nice. So easy to use and care for, they're good for our moderate wetter, comfy on chubby legs....and cheap! And from what I can tell they last forever. I have some prefolds that I used as a baby...and that was a while ago, lemme tell ya. We've used them with thirsties covers, under wool, and coverless. Anything goes with these.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
katzchen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What do you all love about prefolds? I like that they are cheap, easy to care for and that I can customize the fit to my toddler.
Is the outside usually soaked after one pee? Its not soaked, but it is wet if I don't use a doubler.
How many should I get? After I recieve the ones from the co-op, I'll have 31. That will allow me to wash (and dry them on the line) every 3 days. Right now I have 25, and if I line dry every third day, I sometimes run out before the diapers are dry.
Do you wash them the same as pockets? Nope. I always wash my pockets on warm or hot so that the detergent rinses away more efficiently. Since most of the time I'm only washing prefolds though, I run a cold prewash with a cold wash and sometimes an extra rinse. I find that the prefolds get just as clean in the cold water as they do in hot.