Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
aliyahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

I had an emergency C-section at 36 weeks pregnant. My baby quit moving well at 32 weeks and it wasn't until 36 weeks that the doctor noticed her heart begin to crash on their doppler. My doctor was doing a ultrasound every week and we still couldn't see until after she was born that she had a "one in a million" umbilical cord where her arteries and veins were on the outside of her umbilical cord instead of being on the inside of her cord. She would have bled to death if we had tried to deliver her naturally! She was already bleeding out some through a ruptured vein from her cord. Doctor said she would have been dead within 24 more hours if I had not come in that day as I did to be monitored! Anyway, because it is a rare thing that doctors haven't had enough babies born this way to do studies, Doctors have no idea what causes this and if it can happen again to the same person. Their guess is I have a "one in a thousand" chance this time. And as I said before it CANNOT be detected by ultrasound ect... and the babies with this cord deformity CANNOT be born vaginally or they bleed to death. I don't know if I should worry about such "low odds" and atempt a VBAC?

My doctors first suggestion from the begining was to do a repeat C-section. Later I started studying up a little on VBAC births and it sounds like something I'd really like to try! I've done some reading about it and there was a study done on 93 uterine ruptures by someone named Golan published in 1980. It said that 61 of the ruptures occured in a noraml uterus (never had an incision), and 32 of them had had a previous incision! I thought WOW! Ruptures can happen just as easily to someone without previous incision so why shouldn't I give VBAC a try.

I spoke to my doctor and he seems to be willing to give VBAC a try but he said he never recommends it to his patients because there is a 1 in a hundred chance of rupture and then it is a race to get the baby out. He said if it does rupture the baby has a 50% chance of dying and a higher chance than that at brain damage! AAhhhh! Scary!

What would you do? I'm 28 weeks pregnant with my second lil' girl. My previous C-section was July 2004-exactly two years ago. My doctor said I can have as many babies as I want by C-section. He said there is no limit like there used to be, but I just know that it is so much better to recover from a natural birth than from a major surgery. Plus, I'm coming home to take care of a two year old and a newborn!

Tell me about your research! Does anyone have websites to refer me too? Tell me about your experiences with VBAC deliveries. What does your Doctors tell you about VBAC? Are you PRO-VBAC and WHY? And if your NOT then WHY? This is such a BIG scary thing to decide on. I need some mamas advice!

Advertisement

aliyahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Re: VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

That sounds like a very difficult decision. I know my midwife has performed a bunch of VBACs with great success. I don't have any first hand advice or knowledge on the subject. I would definitely consult a licensed midwife and pick her brain on the matter.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
hacandsac
Registered Users
seller

I'm going for a VBA2C with this baby. I wanted a VBAC with my last baby and found a Dr who said he would allow it but that he didn't recommend it. He bullied me into having a repeat c-section by telling me that I could be prosecuted if I refused a c-section and something happened to my baby. That was a complete lie.

With this baby I looked around and found a Midwife that I LOVE. She has done tuns of VBACs and has lots of experience. She is 42 miles away from my home but to have a care provider that will not only "allow" me to attempt a VBAC but will encourage it I would drive to Timbuktu. VBAC has a much lower complication rate than C-section.

If you want good info on VBAC safety and support check out this group.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICAN-online/

Last edited by hacandsac; 07-06-2006 at 05:45 PM.
hacandsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

I think http://www.ican-online.org/ is an organization with support and resources for women wanting to VBAC. In your position i would NOT VBAC with your current doctor--the odds are too high that you'd get pressured into a c-section as he is not supportive of it ("i'll let you try it" does not = the educated and informed support you need to succeed).

I would definitely consider a VBAC though through a different provider, i have many friends who have done it successfully and it was very empowering for them and none of them had any issues.

ETA: Fixed link.

Last edited by Raquelita; 07-06-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Raquelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

There are a couple good threads on here on it, just type "VBAC" in search & they will come up. They have a bunch of links in them to different sites. The ICAN organization is most often mentioned.

I had a c-section w/my first baby. I will probably end up with a c-section again, but I need to talk to my ob about it some more to clarify why. I am pro-vbac. I think what is going on now, with mds & hospitals refusing is a violation of women's rights. For me to decide, I still need more info & a long discussion w/my md. I want to know that i will be in the group of people with the most successful vbac outcomes before I do it - ruptures happen, but some are more likely to have one than others. It's a hard choice, because the first emergency c-section was scary & hard to recover from - I don't want to repeat that experience but I also don't want another c-section unless I need one.

I think you just have to read all the info, talk to your md, consider the risks, where you fit in with the risk/successes, what you want/need from your birth experience. I don't know anyone IRL who had vbac, but have read lots of positive stories online. I know a few IRL who had repeat c-sections & they all tell me the second time is so much easier than the first, but there are definately risks w/repeat c-sections too.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
aliyahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Thank you Thank you Everyone for your advice and help! I need all that I can get so keep it coming!

What do you think about the 50% chance of baby dying and brain damage possibility? Is this exactly what you were told or am I getting exagerated information?

I am thankful that my doctor was quick to do surgery for the birth of my first child - the aminotic fluid was FULL of blood. So he made a good call to advise that surgery-but I'm starting to feel like doctors now-a-days seem to want to do ALOT of induced labor, and sceduled C-sections. It is more convient for them, of course- but is it really just as good for the mamas and babies? I don't think so.

I really like my doctor ....it frustrates me that I don't know if I'm getting the best advice or not. One thing is for sure he never complained about ALL my complaints about my lil' girl not moving enough. He always thanked me actually for coming in just in case. He started monitoring me more than he was suppose too after I complained that the baby wasn't moving very well- and he never made me feel like I was a being an annoying hypocondriak. It scares me to think of what would have happened if I had tried a home birth like I always wanted to do!

I REALLY REALLY want to try a VBAC! I have NO doubt about it - but affraid that I'm being selfish about it. If I'm risking my baby at all to do something better for me is that selfish? I would choose a perfectly healthy baby over anything! I'd let them cut me wide open if it saved my baby! I just don't want to be scared into something unecessarily. It would be like being scared into never driving a car again because my infant could dye in a car accident.

Thanks Everybody-like I said keep the info and advice coming! I need it!
aliyahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, I think you should switch to a more supportive Dr. if you do the VBAC because you need someone who will help you stick it out. That 50% thing sounds high from the research I did. Maybe it's 50% more likely to rupture than a normal vaginal birth?

Also, how negligent is he that he wouldn't notice the rupture before then? I was concerned about that but my Dr. says she's only seen a rupture ONCE in 20 years and that was caught ASAP, did a c-section and sewed everything up and the mom went on to have more kids.

That stat sounds really alarmist.
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
hacandsac
Registered Users
seller

50% chance of baby dying and brain damage Who told you that?
It's less than 1% chance of UR and of that less than half is catastrophic.
hacandsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

hey I wanted to tell you some of my experiences. with my first ds I ended up with a c-section. My water broke at the end of my 35th week. I didn't progress past 3cm, so ended up with a c-section.

I wanted to do a VBAC with my dd, and I did. In my experience doctors now are really afraid of VBACs due to the increased risk that they have for getting sued if something goes wrong. It is safer for THEM to do a repeat c-section. I was lucky enough to get a doctor that would work with me on a
VBAC as he told me not many doctors would. This was two years ago.

I did the VBAC and ended up dilated to 10cm (very difficult though) and I pushed for almost an hour and a half with little progress. baby's head was turned and we couldn't turn it strait. she just wouldn't come out. I ended up with another C-section. The doctor told me in the O.R. that my uterus was starting to rupture.

I have very high risk pregnancies and I also thought of the fact that maybe I was being selfish doing this, it would be easier on the baby if I just did a repeat section. but I knew I would regret it if I didn't try. I do not regret trying now, even if I did end up with a c-section. It was worth the experience to me. I would do it all over again.

As for the percentages with defects etc. I don't know. maybe do alot of searching online and see what you find. In my opinion that is something that is going to vary widely. It depends on how quickly a section is done/etc. If I were you I would try for a VBAC. I understand your concern about not wanting the same defect to happen but it seems very scarce that it would happen again to you. Have you done any google searches on it?? It almost seems like just a normal defect that would happen, like my uterus didn't form right. there would be a chance of the baby dying and brain damage, and maybe even a chance you could die if there is a loss of blood that great. but it is just like if someone drowned, the baby would be without air for a time period and life/death/brain damage would depend on how fast they got the baby out.
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

I had an emergency c-section with our 4th (cord around the neck) and desired a VBAC for our last baby. I educated myself with everything I could find: internet, others experiences, my doc., a nurse (and best friend), and doctor's journals. Every last one said that with a VBAC, uterine ruptions took place in .5% of all natural (no pitocin) births and 1% of pitocin induced births.

Even if your uterus DOES start to tear, your doc will be able to tell and take you to the OR immediately. Do not let any doc scare you into having a c-section unless it's absolutely necessary for the health of you or your baby.