Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #11
LittleHobbitsMomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 311
My Mood:
Re: VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

I had an emergency cs at 24 weeks with my twin DDs, and two successful VBACs since. The first VBAC was even induced with Pitocin!! The nurses and doctors told me what signs to look for about impending uterine rupture. I realize the risks, but never questioned my decision. The doctor checked the cs incision internally after my last two births and said everything was good and I could have more vaginal births. LMK if you have specific questions that I could help with!

Advertisement

__________________
Susan
Proud Fiance and Blessed Momma to DD & DD 11 years, DD 9 years, DS 8 year, and DS EDD 1/24/2013
LittleHobbitsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #12
aliyahsmommy's Avatar
aliyahsmommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Athens, Georgia
Posts: 273
Re: VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

Oh -wow! Thank you SO much! Everything I'm reading - just confirms what I already feel in my heart. My husband is having a hard time understanding why this matters so much to me- and to be honest I really don't know myself! I just know this is something I want to do! I read through research that epidurals and pitocin will increase the chance that I'll need a C-section too so I'm not planning to use those methods either. Actually the stuff I read about pitocin scares me- I really hope I can go into labor with no problems and progress normally before that baby is 12 pounds! I'm just 28 weeks and I'm having about 10-20 contractions per day-some very uncomfortable-so if this means anything I'll guess I'll have no problems going into labor.
aliyahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:21 PM   #13
LittleHobbitsMomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 311
My Mood:
Re: VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

I was really surprised my doctor did the pitocin...DD was getting rather large so she had to come out and soon! I do not recommend the pitocin, here I had psyched myself up for a VBAC and all the sudden I was faced with most cruel and long contractions you could imagine...not to scare you, just the truth; they were so bad I gave into the epidural, something I had not wanted to do. The doctor refused to do Pitocin the second VBAC- that was ok though, I went into labor around 3am and DS was born just before 8am. You sound very well informed and of strong conviction - I bet you are going to do just fine with your VBAC!
__________________
Susan
Proud Fiance and Blessed Momma to DD & DD 11 years, DD 9 years, DS 8 year, and DS EDD 1/24/2013
LittleHobbitsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
bbjbryner's Avatar
bbjbryner
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 60
My Mood:
Re: VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

Coming from someone who CANNOT have a vaginal birth, I understand your desire to do it the "normal" way. I have 2 uteruses, 2 separate cervixes, I never dilate, never have a contraction, etc. Inducing didn't even work. So I'm a C-sectioner for life. Just remember, an emergency C-section is WAY different than a nice, calm, planned one. I recovered quickly from both of mine. I went home in 2 days last time. C-sections are not the end of the world and if it came down to risk for my baby, I'd have to say "C-section all the way!" Of course, I've had wonderful experiences with both of my C/S and I'm having another in November! Best wishes whatever you choose!!!
__________________
Brandi
Mama to Jillian 9/02, Miranda 5/05, Natalie 11/06 and Lucas 12/09!
bbjbryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #15
teachermama's Avatar
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Here, There, and Everywhere
Posts: 1,922
My Mood:
Re: VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

I'm another repeat C-section mama. I'll be having my third this December. My Dr. gave me the same advice that yours gave you, plus other info related to my situation that helped me to decide to go all C-section births. She also told me (like your Dr.) that there is no limit to the number of C-sections I can have and honestly my recovery was better than most of my friends who have gone vaginally. I had an almost two year year old after my last baby was born and I had my hubbie home for a few days and my family helped for maybe three or four times after that. I was fine and the recovery almost in some ways seemed easier this time because I knew what to expect. I am having my third in Dec. and looking forward to it. C-section is not any scarier or riskier to me than the thought of an unknown labor with potential unknown complications and potential uterine rupture. Honestly because it's all I know, C-section is no biggie (and I totally trust my Dr. to keep me informed along the way). I wish you good luck and hope that you are able to come to peace with your decision. I was considering V-BAC for a short time and it just wasn't right for me. Let us know how things turn out.
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #16
Raquelita's Avatar
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,108
Re: VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

Here is a recent article about how VBAC's are safe and shouldn't be discouraged with scare tactics .

http://www.dispatch.com/health/healt...708-A1-00.html
__________________
DS (9) DD (6) DS (3) DD (Baby)
Raquelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #17
heather_c's Avatar
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,836
My Mood:
Re: VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

I am planning on a VBAC with my future children. I have done extensive research and feel that VBAC is the safest choice for me and my future children.

The statistics your OB provided do not agree with any I have found. The highest UR% I have found in a non-induced or pitocin augmented labor is .5%. In addition, the fate of catastrophic rupture (i.e mom or baby has serious injury is much lower than that. I do not have the exact percentage on hand. I would be very interested to read the research studies where he obtained his statistics he provided you.

It sounds to me like your OB does not like VBACs and that is why he provided you with inflated statistics. If you are truly desiring a VBAC, I would do research about the issue on your own, and seriously question your OB about his support level. I hate to say it, but many OBs are initially "supportive" of VBACs, but when 36 weeks come along, they pressure women into repeat c/s.

Good luck in your decision!
__________________
Heather - Mommy to Matthew 9/05 and Eli 2/11/09
Fiber Artist and Designer at Western Sky Knits
Visit us at WSK for hand-dyed yarn and fiber
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #18
sprout18's Avatar
sprout18
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,344
My Mood:
Re: VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

I have had 3 c-sections also - however not by choice. My first was by choice sort of after 30+ hours of labor my doc told me if I didn't have a csection it could be another day or two before I had this child (I was so exhusted I just said go ahead) than I wasn't given a choice and had no idea I even had a choice about a VBAC so I had a planned csection. With my last child I asked if I could try and my doc (different doc than before) said no cause I already had two sections. If we do get pregnant again I want to try for a csection. All three times I went into labor on my own and two of the three times my water broke on its own (third time I wasn't in labor very long many 3 hours before they gave me the section). There is a board on babycenter that is about vbac support its http://boards.babycenter.com/n/pfx/f...ebtag=bcus7037 and there are success stories and people who are informed about csections and vbacs. Good luck with your VBAC if you attempt it. I'm going to have a hard time finding someone to allow me to try one after 3 csections.
Ericka
__________________
Ericka - Homeschooling Mom to Will (8/02), Aiden (1/04),Andrew (8/05) Zachary (4/08)
sprout18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #19
yellowcampcat's Avatar
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,487
My Mood:
Re: VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

I am in a similar situation. There weren't any abnormalities in my dd's cord, but she did swallow a lot of air/blood and have some serious feeding problems after birth that I will always wonder if they were partly due to a section at 38 weeks for her being breech.

I am 32 weeks pg with my 2nd, and want to try for a vbac. My doctor has said he will support me, but it is obvious that he is conservative and would prefer another section. This is what he told me: I cannot have pitocin, must progress according to normal parameters (whatever those are!), have to be monitored constantly when I get to the hospital, and he won't let me go past my due date.

I know how you feel--I wouuld never do anything that I felt was a risk to my baby, but I just don't know about having 3 or 4 sections--I've had women tell me that their doctors told them "no more" after 3. I am also nervous bc I never went into labor with my dd, so I really don't know what to expect from labor period, let alone if something was wrong.

I will be watching this thread!
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #20
~Woollybottoms Mama~'s Avatar
~Woollybottoms Mama~
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,110
My Mood:
Re: VBAC Concerns: Can anyone give me comfort and advice?

Been there and done that!!! Well almost anyway. I had went into labor with dd 1 and was going through a natural labor. I had to have an emergency c-section towards the end as her cord was wrapped around her neck and her heart rate plunged. When I became pregnant with ds 2, I was adamant on finding someone that would allow me to try for a VBAC. No doctors would touch it and said I must have a c-sec. I found a wonderful supportive midwife that would allow me to labor naturally in the hospital. I was so set on having a vbac. I went into labor, the entire thing, pushed for 2 hours and my baby was too big. I had to have yet another c-section and I broke down sobbing and thinking I was a total failure.

As for the fears that your decision could hurt your baby, I think that is a misconceived fear put out by doctors that would rather schedule a c-section for a time convenient to them. All natural births go with at least some level that something could happen. The uterine rupture chances are so minimal and are there even without a prior c-sec. I think as long as you yourself are healthy and in good shape, there are no worries. Now if you are overweight or have other health problems, I would be more concerned. The main thing is to find someone to work with who is supportive of this decision. Another thing, don't get so worked up on having to have this. In a case like mine, it was very devastating mentally. Now I look back and think what a weirdo I say go for it and I would for sure do it again even with the same outcome.
~Woollybottoms Mama~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.