Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #11
Anabella'sMama
Banned

Re: Does measuring big always mean big baby??

I consitantly measured right on when I was preggo. My mw said that I should expect an average size baby bc of my weight gain etc. I delivered on my edd and dd was 8lbs 11.8oz. 20" I had a medication free birth and only pushed for 30 minutes but unlike the other mama I tore...really bad (20 stitches my mw said give or take a few!) I think gravity definately works with a heavier baby bc I was not expecting to be that fast...maybe why I tore so bad???? I arrived at the L&D room at 7 and in recovery by 11.

Advertisement

Anabella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #12
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Gosh I hope not... I've been consistently measuring bigger than my weeks at my appointments. And each of my babies has been bigger than the previous... so... looks like I"m in trouble.

But who knows.. I do know that my placenta is REALLY low and I have to get another ultrasound next week to find out if it's moved (it was super close to my cervix at 22 weeks). And when I had that ultrasound, the baby was measuring 13 ounces when he should have been 9.

We'll see... I told my DH that the fourth baby will take us by surprise and will be our 9lb boy. So far I'm two for three...
Old 08-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #13
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just because you have a big baby doesn't necessarily mean you will tear. I have been reading a lot of birth stories lately and some moms say that having a bigger baby made the delivery easier because the baby helped push him/herself out. And some moms with big babys tear and some don't, just like some moms with little babies tear and some don't. I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not you will tear because being fearful of tearing while you are in labor will only make your body fight against labor, which will make labor hurt more and will make you more likely to have complications such as tearing. Your body knows what to do. You just have to trust it to do it.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #14
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've measured big for four out of 6 pregnancies so far, they even out eventually, then toward the end got ahead once more. My babies do get progressively bigger (with the exception of my 36 weeker). If you're afraid of tearing, I'd look into the methods to help alleviate/reduce it. My 9 lb 8 oz baby did number on me (most of it was the doctors fault) as she got stuck, but they were idiots and never should have induced me when they did. I'd do your research and ask your doctor before worrying about it too much
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #15
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
My son was two weeks early and was 7lbs 10oz. I can't remember for the life of me if I was measuring big with him or not. Had he gone two or so more weeks he would've been a big baby.

I saw my midwife today and I am 29 weeks tomorrow and was measuring 32 weeks. I feel huge and look it too.....but does that always mean it's a big baby? My SIL told me second babies are always bigger too. In my hopes to go all natural it just kind of scares me.
I have measured big with all my babies (like 4 weeks) and they have ranged from 7 lbs 1 oz~ 8 days overdue to 9 lbs 5 oz 1 day early.

Your SIL told you second babies are ALWAYS bigger? I was a second born, born closer to due date (older brother was early) and weighed several ounces less. I have a friend who's first was 12 lbs 2 oz and second was 10 lbs. 14 oz. Generally second babies are bigger but I wouldn't use the word always. Your first born if due date was correct with average weight gain would have hit around 8 1/2 lbs. that was smaller than my brother and I was smaller than him. All this to say~don't worry. First stage labor is the same no matter how big the baby is, some even claim it is quicker with the weight of a bigger baby and actually pushing a big baby out will be much easier if you have went all natural. All my babies were all natural and for me big or small babies have not made much difference in labor and pushing and I have always pushed them out quickly and have never torn even with my 9 lb 5 oz who never turned his shoulders~By the way I have a great midwife you rarely has women tear, I believe tearing has more to do with who's catching than the weight of who's being caught. I have heard if you can make it thru your first born you can make it thru anything, first is the hardest~this was true for me and he was my smallest. Good luck mama!

Last edited by joyful mother; 08-12-2007 at 11:16 AM.
joyful mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #16
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

With dd I measured a few weeks larger and she was born 10 days late at 8.12lbs. this baby changes....I was measuring a bit large at previous appt.and at my last appt. (on fri) he is exactly measuring correct and is approx 7ish lbs and I have just 3 weeks to go.....I think he'll be smaller than his big sister??
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #17
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

I know it will be better then my ds birth. I did have two (each side) 3rd degree tears.....but I know this time even with a bigger baby it won't be as bad. This time I will also have a doula and midwife, I am not too worried, but as I tend to worry just a tad bit.

I plan to talk to my doula about this Monday when we have a little chat and I am sure she has ways to help with avoiding tearing. I am also planning a waterbirth so that should help too.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

just one more thing.....I was talking to my midwives and was told that in MOST BUT OF COURSE NOT ALL cases even between a 7lb or 9-10lb baby the head circumfrence is mostly the same so there really is no difference in birthing because once the head is out the body even if chubby or thin kinda just slips out anyway!!!

Good luck!!
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #19
swan771
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I measured right on this entire pregnancy. He was born Thursday and my OB estimated him to be over 8 lbs just by feeling my tummy. He was 8 lbs 10 1/2 ounces. My first DS was 7lbs 11 oz, but born at 37 weeks. I had a 3rd degree tear and over 30 stitches with him.This time I had a small tear and only a few stitches. I can't even feel them. I agree that whoever delivers the baby makes a hugee difference. My OB was massaging with mineral oil and helped eases the baby out this time.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #20
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With ds, i measured a tad large (like 3 weeks ahead consistantly) he was born at 37 wks 5 days and weighed 6lbs, 9oz.

with dd, I had polyhydramnia (sp?) and made too much fluid. I was freakin HUGE. I measured 48 weeks when she was born at 36 weeks. she was 8lbs, 1oz.