Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #21
wicksasc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does measuring big always mean big baby??

In my case my first baby was my biggest. She was 8 lbs 12 oz. baby#2 was 7lbs 7 oz, #3 was 7lbs 4 oz, and #4 was 7lbs 14 oz. I have also always measured big until the last few weeks. There are a lot of factors that can affect the size of your uterus, and not all of them are related to the baby's size. Best of luck to you!

Advertisement

wicksasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #22
ocean_o_curls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

im in the same boat. dd was 6lbs12oz when i had her at 36 weeks and i cant remember if i was measuring big or not. Now I am 30 weeks and measuring 34 weeks my ob scheduled an u/s in two weeks to check babys size so i guess i will know soon.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #23
carrottop76
Registered Users

My Mood:

No. Weight estimates are less and less reliable the farther you get in your pregnancy. Even the US based ones are only a calculation that take in multiple variables. I was told my baby was going to be around the 80% and she ended up in the 10th! I had ultrasounds every two weeks too so it wasn't like it was a one time error. Luckily, my CS wasn't for weight or I would have been ticked off when she came out weighing 5 # 14 ounces!
carrottop76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #24
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't have any idea about measuring big, but I know that not all subsequent babies are bigger. I've read lots of posts comparing babies and it's not at all the 'norm' for 2nd babies to be bigger (or smaller for that matter). My 2nd happened to be 8oz less than and .25" more than my 1st. OH, and late ultrasounds are NOT reliable for weight. I had an ultrasound at 37 weeks with ds1 because I was suddenly measuring smaller. They said he was huge...body measuring 39 weeks and head measuring 42 weeks. They said to expect him to weigh around 10 lbs at birth (induction at 38w6d). He was 7lb 11.7oz & 19" long. Couldn't be more average!

Last edited by jls~Kain~Drake; 08-12-2007 at 01:02 PM.
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #25
NadyaNaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always measure big with my babies. With my first, at 30 weeks I was measuring 38 weeks and conitnues to measure big until I slowed down and measured at 42 weeks. She was 1 day overdue and weighed 8.15

With my second I started measuring big around 28 weeks but I was only measuring 4 weeks ahead at the most. He was 2 days early and weighed 9.13 (also he was out in 2 pushes!)

Now I am measuring 5 weeks ahead and that started at my 24 week appt. Then I was already measuring 29 weeks. Luckily I know this is normal for me and I know I just measure larger than I should, but I still have noraml births.

BTW I have a friend who had a 12lber and she said he was the easiest to push! I love hearing stories like that!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #26
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

No, no and no again!

This is a sensitive subject for me. But going the other way. I was told that my baby had IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction). I was measuring small, but always had in previous pregnancies. Nothing new. About 3 weeks behind.

I ended up at the perinatal Docs office at 27 weeks pregnant because my OB's ultrasound machine was down. I went expecting just a routine US. Well by the end of the appt. I was devastated. I had an 8 week vaginal US to date my preg. The baby was right on at 8w 3d. So at 27 weeks, she was measuring 24. So i would go to the peris office 2 times a week for stress tests and a US to check fluid/HR and tone. I would also have growth US every 3 weeks. Each growth US she would be further behind in her growth. 3 percent overall. But since my fluid and her HR was stable i was able to carry her to 35 weeks. Ween they told me that IUGR babies have a higher rate of death after 36 weeks, an induction was at hand. I was of course terrified. I thought the doctors were right, why would they be wrong? i had an amnio to check for lung maturity. They were mature and she was ready to be born the next day.
I went in for my induction expecting to have a 4 pound baby. That is what she measured the day before, YES, the day before during my amnio. 4 pounds even.
12 hours later my beautiful 35 weeker was born and weighed in at 6 pounds 1 ounce! I WAS LIVID AND I STILL AM. I did what i thought was best for my baby, by having all this monitoring and tests, when in the end she was actually LARGE for a 35 weeker. I had i gone to term she would have been more like 8 1/2 pounds. She was 19 inches long at birth. We also expected her to be about 16 inches long.
US and fundal measurements can be WAY off, as here in my story. This could easily be turned around and a mama can be unnecessarily induced for a LARGE baby and give birth to a tiny one.
Of course, if your baby is in danger, then you do anything humanly possible to save them, just like i did. But ask lots of questions and know that the darn US can be off by 2-3 pounds....IMO a HUGE variance.
sorry so long. I just cant stand doctors saying that babies are too big or too small and need to be induced for no reason whatsoever. Your body can handle a big baby or a tiny one. Plus fundal hieght can vary by who measures, foods eaten, bloating, babies postition etc.
And yes, the US machine my peri used was the newest GE 4D US machine.
THanks for reading if you have read this far. Just a sensitive topic for me.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #27
slockwood
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first I measured 4wks behind and when I had her she weighed 8 lbs 8oz. So I wouldn't go by that. No one really knows. It coudl be just fluid.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #28
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

absolutely not. I just carry high, and my kids never make it past -2 station. At delivery (38weeks) w/ #1 I measured 42wks and he was a petite 6lbs 11 oz, with a 13" head. Same with the other two, measured 1-2wks ahead consistently- #2 was 7lbs 1oz, #3 was 7lbs 13oz.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #29
beachmamatoboys
Registered Users

My Mood:

I measured four weeks ahead with all three of my boys. My oldest was 8 lbs 5 oz at 37 weeks, my middle son was 9 lbs at 41 weeks, and the baby was 8 lbs 8 oz at 39 weeks. So, not small, but not ginormous either!

It could definitely depend on position of the baby, fluid, etc.
beachmamatoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #30
Pea_inthepod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

im measuring big....but U/S measurements can be VERY off...up to 2lbs off!

At 33weeks, I was measureing 39 weeks....but my fundal height was fine until my 35 week appointment and I was a little big. He thinks if I go full term I could have a 10lb baby...which might not be that off because I was 10lbs 8oz myself!!