Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: is anyone here banking their baby's cordblood?

Thats so sweet and generous Artie

Advertisement

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, for numberous reasons.

Really, it's one of those things that isn't completely manditory for your child. Most scientists have agreed that stem cells (one of the big selling points for banking cord blood) can be obtained from a parent or sibling if needed. The general consensus is, "well, if you can afford it, it wouldnt HURT..but dont beat yourself up thinking its a necessity. It isn't."

Of course, the cost is a factor for us as well.

And, we like to let baby emerge and nurse or just snuggle for 15-30 minutes before even cutting the cord. With DD, my placenta was out before they actually cut her cord. Banking the blood would mean we couldnt do that, and I dont want to skip that step.

But in a way...I AM banking my babies cord blood....IN MY BABY!
Old 08-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We can't afford it, but we are going to keep the cord in the freezer to maybe possibly help a dear friend who has been paralized for 2 years now from an ocean wave. They want a vegetarians cord, so I offered it. I hope it can still work if it's just kept in the freezer!

And that's so great that we can do this...that the nature of lifes nurishment for birth can save other lives.

It's nice and reassuring for Baby Danae. Yay for her remission!
Old 08-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #14
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I planned to donate with both kids had the kits and all with me in the hospital. DD was an emergency c-section and the dr couldnt do it in time. And they gave me some story why they couldnt do it with ds. So I couldnt with either. I will try again if we have more though.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:11 PM   #15
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLove View Post
We can't afford it, but we are going to keep the cord in the freezer to maybe possibly help a dear friend who has been paralized for 2 years now from an ocean wave. They want a vegetarians cord, so I offered it. I hope it can still work if it's just kept in the freezer!

And that's so great that we can do this...that the nature of lifes nurishment for birth can save other lives.

It's nice and reassuring for Baby Danae. Yay for her remission!
i think it may need to be in a deep freeze i am not sure but thats aweosme what your doing for your friend
i agree, i pray danae doesn't ever relapse but if she does i feel more comfortable knowing we have this to help get her healthy again. the dr's told us the first year of remission is the toughest, if they make it to a year the chance of relapse drops significantly so we are on month 7 and praying she continues to stay cancer free.i am really happy for her remission
Old 08-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #16
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa-Rachelle View Post
No, for numberous reasons.

Really, it's one of those things that isn't completely manditory for your child. Most scientists have agreed that stem cells (one of the big selling points for banking cord blood) can be obtained from a parent or sibling if needed. The general consensus is, "well, if you can afford it, it wouldnt HURT..but dont beat yourself up thinking its a necessity. It isn't."

Of course, the cost is a factor for us as well.

And, we like to let baby emerge and nurse or just snuggle for 15-30 minutes before even cutting the cord. With DD, my placenta was out before they actually cut her cord. Banking the blood would mean we couldnt do that, and I dont want to skip that step.

But in a way...I AM banking my babies cord blood....IN MY BABY!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #17
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie&Logan'sMommy View Post
I planned to donate with both kids had the kits and all with me in the hospital. DD was an emergency c-section and the dr couldnt do it in time. And they gave me some story why they couldnt do it with ds. So I couldnt with either. I will try again if we have more though.
i am sorry jen
Old 08-12-2007, 04:25 AM   #18
sherbear178
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had planned to donate the cord blood with both of my kids and I contacted several red cross locations to try to talk to someone about it and no one ever called me back. I was a very disappointed.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #19
purplesue
Registered Users

We donated ours, too.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #20
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just got the paperwork signed by my midwives Friday to donate mine! I am doing it through http://www.cryo-intl.com/ because my hospital doesn't do it, so this is a non-hospital-affiliated donor bank. I am on bedrest for PTL so I don't know if that will affect anything, but I'm sending in my paperwork and seeing if they want my baby's cordblood! If I get rejected (the requirements are stricter for donating, for obvious reasons) then I will have the mdiwives delay clamping the cord. It's not one of the top things on my birth plan, so I'm willing to let that one go if I can donate.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote