Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
2babiesndiaps
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,286
Crack! HELP! Another Update

Second update in post 13

Ok so I am totally in pain! Here’s the short version-I hope! I had cracks in both nipples, then a fever, thought it was Mastitis did the nurse every 2 and rest and lots of water. It went away. That was last weekend. Cracks were healing. Right one is fine. Friday I have some fever feelings start doing the nursing again and noticed a red spot on my left side, Continued nursing every chance we can. Left was getting better and then all of a sudden it hurt WAAY too much again. I checked it out and there’s another crack!
My right one can’t keep up by itself and because the crack is so bad I’ve been pumping left side only (no nursing) and that side produces way more- do I give it to her in a bottle when she’ll take it? She lets it dribble out of her mouth from a sippy- all the kinds we have.

My 11 month old could be weaned I guess but I really don’t want to. Almost 3 yr old is taking a break, cause it hurts too much- do I wean her?- she’s morning and occasionally before bed nurser
I just need to feed my LOs w/o feeling like I’m dying a slow death!! How long does it take a crack to heal? I had to get up in the middle of the night to pump I was so engorged and scared of mastitis. I really don’t want to do that again. Will my right5 side eventually produce enough? Left is definitely her fav and best producer
Now the right is getting sore ands I’m wondering if her latch is off. The cracks started because of biting and she’s teething. If you’ve made it this far congrats! And do you have any words of wisdom or advice? Thanks!!

Advertisement


Last edited by 2babiesndiaps; 08-18-2007 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Update
2babiesndiaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
CrunchyMama0607's Avatar
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,725
My Mood:
Re: Crack! HELP!

HUGS momma!! Do you have a local la leche league? If so, you could contact the main leader of your local group & ask her if she might have any suggestions. In the meantime, be sure to keep lanolin on the cracked areas and alternate hot/cold compresses.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/bab...feed/8493.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html
http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/sorenipples.html
http://www.breastfeeding.org/articles/moistness.html
http://www.llli.org/webindex.html <------finding your local LLL
As for weaning, don't give up yet You can get through this, rough as it may be. Hope that helps, feel better soon, momma
__________________
Ash~Mama to 3
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,368
My Mood:
Re: Crack! HELP!

well first off mama, mastitis does not cause cracking. (if you do suspect mastitis, go to your doc and get some antibiotics) your LO is 11 months old, so what you should be worried about is called lazy toddler latch. the problem is, that their mouths get bigger, but they dont compensate for it, resulting in a bad latch. try getting more of the breast in the mouth, and see if that helps.

try not to use any creams or lanolin on your nipples, this tends to keep them from healing. just a little expressed milkon either side will really help alot, and still allow the nipple to dry and air out
__________________



Last edited by rlsadc; 08-12-2007 at 05:35 PM.
rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
CrunchyMama0607's Avatar
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,725
My Mood:
Re: Crack! HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsadc View Post
well first off mama, mastitis does not cause cracking. (if you do suspect mastitis, go to your doc and get some antibiotics) your LO is 11 months old, so what you should be worried about is called lazy toddler latch. the problem is, that their mouths get bigger, but they dont compensate for it, resulting in a bad latch. try getting more of the breast in the mouth, and see if that helps.

try not to use any creams or lanolin on your nipples, this tends to keep them from healing. just a little expressed milkon either side will really help alot, and still allow the nipple to dry and air out
My dd does that <lazy latch> ....and man is it painful! (shes 16mths old)
__________________
Ash~Mama to 3
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
2babiesndiaps
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,286
Re: Crack! HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsadc View Post
well first off mama, mastitis does not cause cracking. (if you do suspect mastitis, go to your doc and get some antibiotics) your LO is 11 months old, so what you should be worried about is called lazy toddler latch. the problem is, that their mouths get bigger, but they dont compensate for it, resulting in a bad latch. try getting more of the breast in the mouth, and see if that helps.

try not to use any creams or lanolin on your nipples, this tends to keep them from healing. just a little expressed milkon either side will really help alot, and still allow the nipple to dry and air out
I tend to get thrush, cracked nipples and then mastitis. In that order. And that's why I said that's what I think is going on! Thanks for the advice on the latch! I think that's probably what is going on as well.
2babiesndiaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
2babiesndiaps
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,286
Re: Crack! HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth_mama06 View Post
HUGS momma!! Do you have a local la leche league? If so, you could contact the main leader of your local group & ask her if she might have any suggestions. In the meantime, be sure to keep lanolin on the cracked areas and alternate hot/cold compresses.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/bab...feed/8493.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html
http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/sorenipples.html
http://www.breastfeeding.org/articles/moistness.html
http://www.llli.org/webindex.html <------finding your local LLL
As for weaning, don't give up yet You can get through this, rough as it may be. Hope that helps, feel better soon, momma
Great links! Thanks for the encouragement too! She just won't go to sleep without nursing and it hurts and so she's awake, cause I can't stand it!!
2babiesndiaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
mhaddon's Avatar
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 13,479
Re: Crack! HELP!

If you need a break an want to give either of them milk they are both old enough to you a cup. w/ ds1 we had to give him milk in a cup b/c bottle and sippy cups didn't work, he protested. But, he would out of a cup so I would try that.

For your cracks, if you think it may be thrush you don't want to use lanolin cream, so make sure it isn't caused by that... If it is just a crack then you can also try hydrogel pads, they feel really good.

Have you also tried teething tablets from hylands? We use those before nursing sessions so my nipple stays in tact. Good luck, you've made it this far, you can do it
__________________
Melissa, mama to 4
Yummy yarn FS! PL HUGE Destash
PM me about YYMN spots!
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
purplesue's Avatar
purplesue
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 97
Re: Crack! HELP!

No advice here. We're not that far along yet but I just wanted to send you hugs and encouragement.
__________________
Susan, Mom since November 2006
purplesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #9
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,368
My Mood:
Re: Crack! HELP!

ok well if youre thinking its thrush, then mastitis, its probably just a bad case of thrush. have you tried gentian violet? awesome stuff
__________________


rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:57 AM   #10
2babiesndiaps
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,286
Re: Crack! HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsadc View Post
ok well if youre thinking its thrush, then mastitis, its probably just a bad case of thrush. have you tried gentian violet? awesome stuff
I totally swear by it! I've been using it and it has helped. The fever and the redness on my breast made me think mastisits. The cracks made me shy away from nursing and unconsciously I was giving her more food and water instead of nursing. I think that may have pugged up a duct. Have you heard of a fever with thrush before?
2babiesndiaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.