Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Deep post - Legacies in parenting?

I've been thinking about this a lot and would love to hear feedback from other moms/parents on these questions.

1. What is one positive value/legacy your parents raised you with?
2. What is one negative value/legacy you were raised with?
3. In raising your own children (whether you have them yet or not), what are you determined to change from how you were raised, or do you want to follow in your parents' footsteps?
4. What is the goal of your parenting?

My answers in the next post.

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Re: Deep post - Legacies in parenting?

1. I love that they raised us to be good stewards of money and not be materialistic (even though they are wealthy, we really didn't know it growing up). I also like that they emphasized being good critical thinkers and encouraged us to do what we enjoyed and were gifted in, they supported us in following our own paths and interests.

2. I hate that i am so conscious of appearance in others and myself. My grandmother especially always comments on people's weight as a value judgement. Although i know it's b/c she's insecure about her own body it still really influenced me and i wish it hadn't.

3. I want to follow in my parents' footsteps b/c i love how they raised us and how my siblings and I have turned out. There are a few things i would change, but not much.

4. The major goal of my parenting is to pass on my beliefs and values and to foster a good relationship with them so that when they are adults we are still close (like I am with my parents).
Old 07-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Carrie
Registered Users

Re: Deep post - Legacies in parenting?

1. I love that I was raised to value education very highly and that I was raised with the idea that I could accomplish anything I put my mind to. So far it has worked out.

2. I wish my parents were more open-minded about the way things had to be done. It was "my way or the highway" for everything from washing dishes to where we bought our clothing to who we were friends with. I'm still working on this one. I think many of my own choices have helped my parents to become more open-minded.

3. For my own children, I want to make sure their voices are heard and that they know we value their feelings and opinions. I want them to feel like "people" not just "kids." I want to sit down and listen to what they have to say each day and to embrace their thoughts and feelings even if I don't agree.

4. I want to raise my children to be happy, functional adults. I too hope we have a good relationship when they are adults,