Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
velouria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone take antibiotics or Zofran in early pregnancy?

I went to the OB this morning for a UTI and came home with Zofran for my horrible nausea and Macrobid for my UTI.

I am currently taking the 7-day course of Macrobid but am too scared to take the Zofran, as it's Class C (not proven safe).

The Macrobid is Class B (considered safe, but no extensive testing completed on pregnant women). I don't feel comfortable taking the Macrobid but the doctor said it's required so that the UTI doesn't become a kidney infection. She did say, however, that under normal circumstances they don't like to prescribe anything before 9 weeks. I am 7 weeks.

Did you take antibiotics or Zofran during the first 9 weeks of pregnancy? If so, please tell me that you ended up having a happy, healthy child!

I need reassurance!

Advertisement

velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone take antibiotics or Zofran in early pregnancy?

i was on antibiotics (oral and IV) through my pregnancy for chronic UTI's (that eventually turned into kidney infections). its really importantthat you do get the UTI cleared up, or you will end up in the L & D with an IV getting antibiotics for 4 days (like i did). I had severe nausea (i was in the hospital 3 times for it) and took phenergan. macrobid didnt work for me, i dont remember what i ended up taking. but macrobid is commonly prescribed to pregnant patients.

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh lol and DD is happy and healthy!

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am taking zofran. I started it about week 6 and I'm almost at week 9. I know a lot of people who are or have taken it during early pregnancy. It helps the most with keeping you from throwing up, I still feel nausea 24/7, even while taking it. HTH
Old 08-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

topical phenergan is my best friend...worked better than Zofran and didn't make me tired!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Phenegren usually isn't recommended until after 9wks, just FYI. I didn't see how far along you were, but I would be afraid of the Macrobid over the Zofran personally. Zofran is pretty common for severe morning-sickness or Hyperemesis Gravidum not just nausea. So if you're not at dehydration and vomitting to the point of hospitalization I'd stick w/ Preggie Pops/Drops & Ginger.

Pregnancy & Meds just don't always mix IMO. You can't be too safe and even with their classifications, you wouldn't want to take it unless you absolutely HAVE TO. I can see why you'd HAVE TO take the Macrobid as a UTI can lead to renal failure among other issues and is common w/ GBS+ women and you could need abx during delivery and run a whole different group of risks then vs taking care of it now. But the Zofran I would avoid unless necessary, plus it's VERY costly.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took Zofran w/ my second pregnany. I wanted to take phenergen but I was still breastfeeding my 1st DD and was unsure about taking phenergan while breastfeeding.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
robinsoncasa
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was on Zofran throughout my pregnancy with DD and phenergan with DS. Phenergan knocks me on my tushie for HOURS on end. When I was pregnant with DD I was a 911 dispatcher and couldn't even take the phenergan while I was working. I guess they all affect everyone differently. BTW, DD is a happy healthy baby...

Feel better mama!

Proud APing, BFing, CDing, Babywearing, natural kind of mama to an active 4 year old boy and a sweet 1 year old girl.
robinsoncasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsoncasa View Post
I was on Zofran throughout my pregnancy with DD and phenergan with DS. Phenergan knocks me on my tushie for HOURS on end. When I was pregnant with DD I was a 911 dispatcher and couldn't even take the phenergan while I was working. I guess they all affect everyone differently. BTW, DD is a happy healthy baby...

Feel better mama!
Me too!! I hate it!!! I was hallucinating at one point while trying to stay awake! No food for 24 hrs + vomiting 24 times + Phenegren = Hallucinate 4 me
I tried Tigan which is similar but not supposed to make you as tired (and not AS effective) but it just didn't work the same. I barfed w/in 20 mins of using it. I've been using Compezine lately when I'm super sick, but I'm not pregnant.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #10
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took a 10 day round of antibiotics when I was 7 weeks pregnant with DD. I had a terrible colonized Strep B infection in my bladder....nasty stuff.