Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #11
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: headaches during pregnancy

I'm going on day number 6 of this headache, some times its really bad and somtimes its just a dull ache, but either way it hasnt gone away. I take tylenol when its really bad, but its just not going away, I called the ob and they said if I were further along they could prescribe somthing but not till later

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #12
vanillabean
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've had a real problem with headaches too. Migraines in fact. Tylenol would take the edge off only sometimes and only if I took it early enough. I actually got some suggestions on another thread I posted a few days ago about this. The one that worked for me was a small amout of caffeine. At first I poured myself a half cup of coffee.....way too much, was up all night (but had no headache) So then I tried a little chocolate or a few sips of dh's cola. Works like a charm. As far as I know a cup or 2 of coffee a day is completely safe after 1st trimester. Hope you find something that works
vanillabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #13
bradleymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You mamas are awesome, thank you so much! I wanted to share that I asked our doctor about this as well. She prescribed some meds, but I really hate taking anything, and I can only take it when DH is home to help with DD. Anyhow, she also told me to try caffeine, she said soda isn't a great source of caffeine, that coffee would be better. I don't consume a lot of caffeine regularly, but I went and got myself a mint mocha (yummy, my fav!), and it really helped! Now granted, I couldn't sleep that night and had the worst reflux ever, but it helped with the pain! I think the next headache I'm going to try the wellpatch/gatorade, but wanted to chime in that the caffeine helped .
bradleymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #14
naturalbirthmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

JMO, caffeine wouldn't be my first rec for a pregnant mama. I'd try homeopathics, chiropractic, and tons of water. If you have ANY MSG or ASPARTAME in your diet you should remove it now. Headaches are just one of the symptoms they cause.

Headaches suck! Sorry you are having them.
Autumn ~~ Haley 12, Haven 10, Paisley 7, Sterling 5, Camden 3, Finley 1*the bathroom baby* and #7 due August 2015
I have amazing eyelashes! Wanna know how?? www.beautifullyblessedlashes.com
naturalbirthmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #15
bradleymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh definitely, I don't take caffeine consumption lightly (which is why I really limit it!), however, I'd take a cup of coffee before I'd take a narcotic.
bradleymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #16
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

definitely caffiene will help a headache.. high cacao chocolate always helps me too... like 70+% cacao.

that with an iced tea, and my migraine is GONE. And i've had migraines, untouchable by any drugs, for years.

and someone said MSG-- definitely keep an eye on that. It is in EVERYTHING. soooooo many people don't know to look for monosodium glutamate on a label. I get terrible migraines from it, so dh and I know to read EVERY darn label, lol. Its in chips, boxed and canned foods. Almost all soups have it also.

oh and try heat on your head. Like one of those rice packs you heat up in the microwave, ya know? the heat will help to ease things, and sometimes it works better than ice
Old 08-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can take Advil until you start your 24th week. Some dr's will even say your 3rd trimester and if they're really bad and only occasionally they'll say up to delivery as long as it's not related to PreEclampsia. The main risk is low amniotic fluid and until your late 2nd-3rd trimester the fluid isn't really abundant and at a depletion risk anyway. I have suffered from horrible migraines for years and especially during pregnancy. They advised me to drink excessive caffeine but it only made things worse in the long run and I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone!! If you are worried about taking Advil and Tylenol just isn't cutting it you could try Codeine, 1/2 of a Vicodin or 1/2 of a Percocet. Hydration is the key also!! Lots of water, lots of rest!! B complex vitamins, Calcium, Magnesium, Feverfew, MotionSickness Homeopathic tablets... but all that has to be cleared by your OB/MW!!