Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
velouria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have gallstones during pregnancy?

Well well well. Turns out that my horrible m/s probably isn't m/s after all, but gallstones! God, it's horrible!

My stomach hurts when I don't eat yet hurts for HOURS after I do eat... enough to cause terrible nausea and an uncontrollable urge to throw up (even though I haven't yet). And the constant burping up of my food isn't pleasant, either.

Last night I was in horrible pain for about 5 hours after I ate dinner. !!!! I have been in tears so much the past 1.5 week from this... and finally today my mom (who's a naturopath) helped me pinpoint where the pain is coming from. I have a blockage in one of my ducts! Well hell, no wonder eating makes me physically sick. The bile can't get to my small intestine to break up the food and so the food sits in my stomach fermenting and rotting.

Some internet research I did earlier today uncovered that most doctors simply recommend removal and that it can really only be done in the 1st tri of pregnancy (least risk, easier to access the gallbladder, etc.). But that comes with its own set of problems because some people need to be on digestive enzymes the rest of their lives as a result.

Pregnancy causes gallstones in some people because the excess estrogen in the system encourages them to grow. Fasting also can cause them... and since I've been eating very little because everything causes pain, I guess you could say I've been "fasting".

So! I tried a mineral oil pack earlier today which I think helped tremendously at dislodging the blockage. I also went out and bought some Betaine HCl to take with meals. For lunch I had hummus, pita, and a Greek salad and I'm feeling pretty good 2 hours later! I will be taking cranberry capsules in between meals to hopefully help change the pH of the gallbladder and break up the stones.

I hope this treatment continues working for me because I really don't want to end up in the hospital because of this. The pain is almost excruciating.

Anyone else have gallstones? Please tell me how you coped.

Advertisement

velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have gallstones during pregnancy?

I was diagnosed with an IMPACTED gallbladder a few weeks ago (actually probably more like a month ago) anyway I have had to completly change my diet, no fatty foods, fried foods, red meat, spicy foods, dairy... all things that I LIVED on. I miss it all so much. anyway they told me that they will not (WILL NOT) do surgury to remove it unless it was an emergency ie: infected, causing so much pain that its unbearable but with the diet change I've been lucky to just ahve a bit of pain here and there. they absolutly will not do surgury in the first trimester because of the risk of miscarriage and they absolutly will not do surgury in the 3rd trimester because there is simply no room (of course unless there is an emergency) so the only time they will consider doing surgury is the second trimester. but still since i am fine for now they want to hold off until after the baby is born. anyway thats what all the docs and the research I did told me. so here I am just waiting
Old 08-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
velouria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my goodness, Jonita! So what do you eat?

I have such a limited diet anyway because of early PG cravings/aversions and dairy seems to soothe the pain a little so I've been having a glass of milk before bed. I really don't know what I should eat now!
velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my mom had gallbladder attacks when she was pregnant with my sister. Her first gallbladder attack, sent her into labor at 24 weeks. Fortunately, they were able to stop it... I wish I had more to offer you, but I hope you are feeling better soon!!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
nickelmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had gallstones while pregnant w/ dd last year. The dr. said I could either do surgery or wait until after the baby. I decided to wait. I changed my diet completely to whatever didn't make the pain come back. I ate boiled chicken, fruit, veggies, cereal w/ skim milk. I also ate plain pasta to fill myself up. It was hard but I wasn't going to risk the baby for surgery. I had the surgery once she was 3 months old and it was very very easy and I was up and around w/ dd in less than a day. I know how you feel with the pain. It was very painful and overbearing. I took warm showers to have the pain subside for at least 20 minutes. Depending on how bad your gallstones are you might be advised to get the surgery while pregnant. I hope things get better for you mama!
nickelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
Anabella'sMama
Banned

Aww mama I know what you are going thru!!!!! I developed gallstones during my pregnancy as well (along with every other woman in my family!) Mine did not start until my third tri and I was in so much pain that I thought I was going to die! I had three really bad attacks in my last month where I was lying on the ground writhing in pain with a very big baby belly. The night before I went into labor I ended up in the e.r and was then transported to L&D for observation bc I was having projectile vomit of bile due to the gallstones (so not fun!) I've also had several attacks since dd has been born but the thing with me that I noticed triggered them is acid food like pasta sauce or pizza sauce. Can you pinpoint anything in particular that makes the react???? I'm delaying having mine out mostly bc I am a big baby but also bc I am bf and co-sleeping so I can't be getting kicked in the area where they remove my gallbladder.
Just try to eat a bland diet, I know easier said then done with preggo cravings right? lol And drink lots of water! GL
Anabella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my Gallbladder removed at 7months prego. My entire pregnancy I was in tears and pain ... it was awful. They FINALLY figured out it was my Gallbladder and removed it!

My DRs said a diet of bread, tuna, oatmeal & plain chicken will help with the pain (it was too late for me)
Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
I had my Gallbladder removed at 7months prego. My entire pregnancy I was in tears and pain ... it was awful. They FINALLY figured out it was my Gallbladder and removed it!

My DRs said a diet of bread, tuna, oatmeal & plain chicken will help with the pain (it was too late for me)
Exactly my same story..I was 28 weeks when my last attack would not stop plus it was giving me lots of contractions too...turned out that my GB became inflamed and it was at this point FULL of stones and sludge...so they decided the safest bet was to remove it. I was just lucky enough though to have had laproscopic surgery and not open surgery.

I have been looking for some info on the after effects of gb removal and I found this site...you might benefit from it...it has LOTS of great information and some great remedies for attacks. Wish I had found this sooner!!! But you have to stay away from food that are hard to digest, you need things that are light and quick to digest. And stay away from saturated, trans and hydrogenated fats.

www.gallbladderattack.com

Good luck momma, I hope you find relief!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #9
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabella'sMama View Post
Aww mama I know what you are going thru!!!!! I developed gallstones during my pregnancy as well (along with every other woman in my family!) Mine did not start until my third tri and I was in so much pain that I thought I was going to die! I had three really bad attacks in my last month where I was lying on the ground writhing in pain with a very big baby belly. The night before I went into labor I ended up in the e.r and was then transported to L&D for observation bc I was having projectile vomit of bile due to the gallstones (so not fun!) I've also had several attacks since dd has been born but the thing with me that I noticed triggered them is acid food like pasta sauce or pizza sauce. Can you pinpoint anything in particular that makes the react???? I'm delaying having mine out mostly bc I am a big baby but also bc I am bf and co-sleeping so I can't be getting kicked in the area where they remove my gallbladder.
Just try to eat a bland diet, I know easier said then done with preggo cravings right? lol And drink lots of water! GL

You should really check out this site that I mentioned before, you might get alot of help from it. www.gallbladderattack.com

The site suggests that you can change your diet and keep from having to get surgery BUT in the case you DO need it....if you get laproscopic surgery it seriously is not bad at all, I was moving around in like 2 days and after 3 or 4 days I never even knew I had surgery...and that was with a hole in my belly button where of course my 28 wk old baby was kicking from the inside...it only hurt the first day or so and was only mildly uncomfortable not painful. Good luck momma!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #10
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My best friend had a gallstone in her last pregnancy. NO fun!

I'm having kidney trouble with this pregnancy. I have a large stone (like twice the 'passable' size) that's just sitting there and occasionally causes me 'fits'. Similar symptoms.. excruciating pain (in my kidney, through my ureter and into my bladder), nausea, diarrhea.. it's aweful and I'm so worried I'll have an 'attack' close to birth..
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote