Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have gallstones during pregnancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by velouria View Post
Oh my goodness, Jonita! So what do you eat?

I have such a limited diet anyway because of early PG cravings/aversions and dairy seems to soothe the pain a little so I've been having a glass of milk before bed. I really don't know what I should eat now!
I eat boiled or baked chicken. thats pretty much it... Ihave pastas, and I allow myself SOME fat, if I'm having somthing with sauce like alfredo or somthing like that. I cant have soy milk it makes me sick. I do have tuna once a week, and that at least gives me a little bit of a change. we are going to try some fish recipes to see if taht helps, but I have always HATED fish so hopfully I will be able to handle it. but while I ws at the er the doc told me that if the life of my baby is the priority then they will not do surgury... I was 11 weeks at the time. its just not worth the risk. I do plan on having the surgury very soon after the baby is born though. with my insurance I only have it available until 6 weeks post pardum. so I have to get it done between the time the baby is born and 6 weeks pp

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #12
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by velouria View Post
Well well well. Turns out that my horrible m/s probably isn't m/s after all, but gallstones! God, it's horrible!

My stomach hurts when I don't eat yet hurts for HOURS after I do eat... enough to cause terrible nausea and an uncontrollable urge to throw up (even though I haven't yet). And the constant burping up of my food isn't pleasant, either.

Last night I was in horrible pain for about 5 hours after I ate dinner. !!!! I have been in tears so much the past 1.5 week from this... and finally today my mom (who's a naturopath) helped me pinpoint where the pain is coming from. I have a blockage in one of my ducts! Well hell, no wonder eating makes me physically sick. The bile can't get to my small intestine to break up the food and so the food sits in my stomach fermenting and rotting.

Some internet research I did earlier today uncovered that most doctors simply recommend removal and that it can really only be done in the 1st tri of pregnancy (least risk, easier to access the gallbladder, etc.). But that comes with its own set of problems because some people need to be on digestive enzymes the rest of their lives as a result.

Pregnancy causes gallstones in some people because the excess estrogen in the system encourages them to grow. Fasting also can cause them... and since I've been eating very little because everything causes pain, I guess you could say I've been "fasting".

So! I tried a mineral oil pack earlier today which I think helped tremendously at dislodging the blockage. I also went out and bought some Betaine HCl to take with meals. For lunch I had hummus, pita, and a Greek salad and I'm feeling pretty good 2 hours later! I will be taking cranberry capsules in between meals to hopefully help change the pH of the gallbladder and break up the stones.

I hope this treatment continues working for me because I really don't want to end up in the hospital because of this. The pain is almost excruciating.

Anyone else have gallstones? Please tell me how you coped.
I am having this problem as well. However, I have never eaten ay kind of fatty foods, I dont' eat any dairy etc etc that they tell you cause them.
But GOOD news for you is... The Surgeons I have spoken to like to do the surgery during your 2nd trimester!!! If you are a person who carries babies Normally (meaning at 20 wks your uterus is about at your belly button. (mine at 20 weeks is at my ribs already). We are "planning" to have mine out after the baby is born unless I become jaundice or have a fever because of them, but the pain I get to "deal" with.
My Gallbladder is Completely impacted with stones, there is no room for further stones to be produced according to the ultrasound that was done a few weeks ago now, and i was informed it has probably happened over the course of all of my pregnancies because there is "no way" for that many stones to be produced during the first 28 weeks of a pregnancy LOL. So I feel for you, and I am sorry you are dealing with this too, it hurts like heck!
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:44 AM   #13
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBaby4 View Post
My Gallbladder is Completely impacted with stones, there is no room for further stones to be produced according to the ultrasound that was done a few weeks ago now, and i was informed it has probably happened over the course of all of my pregnancies because there is "no way" for that many stones to be produced during the first 28 weeks of a pregnancy LOL. So I feel for you, and I am sorry you are dealing with this too, it hurts like heck!
actually surprisingly they can....I had one stone when they FIRST did my ultrasound...or at least that is what I was told...because the GI doc said, yeah you have A small stone in there...then after a few months when I had to go in to the ER (in my post above)....it was just like yours, FULL of stones, it looked like stars in the sky there were so many in there. so surprisingly yes they CAN multiply in that short of a time when you are pregnant. I hope you can get through it though, I know all the pain you are going through.