Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Unhappy DS TERRIFIED of bath?

Dominic (will be 3 on Oct. 2) is absolutely terrified to take a bath. I try to get him to go in and he won't. I kind of have to make him go in crying and wash him off. He mostly just starts off crying, and then when I get to the point of having to pour water on his head he screams and says "Ow" and when I ask what hurts he says "Up here" and touches his head. Sometimes I can understand him when he says it's his hair, sometimes he doesn't specify where on his head. So his hair hurts?
Anyway, he's the same way with showers so that won't really work. I tried to get IN the tub with him tonight to see if that would help (we took nightly baths together before the twins were born) and that was just as bad. I'm not sure what to do. It's pretty obvious he's scared. It's almost to the point where I don't even want to bathe him because he's so upset by it.
Any ideas? Will he grow out of it? I don't want to push him and make him scared of water his whole life, but he needs to get clean - he is a little boy after all and he gets pretty gross.
Right now I'm only attempting baths once a week, it breaks my heart to even make him do it that often.

Advertisement

Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS TERRIFIED of bath?

There are only two things I can think of to suggest.... The first is TOYS But, only toys that you can play with in the tub! We have these cute little dolphins that make a sound when you pick them up out of the water.
Second thing ... out of desperation I have done this... is it warm enough where you are that you can put a little pool in your backyard and let him play in the water for a while? Maybe it will ease him into it.

That is all I can think of for now. I have had to make it a fun thing for my toddler otherwise he did not want to. Also, I got him a cute bathrobe and I let him wear it for a while after getting out of the bath with just his dipe

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some might think I'm weird but take a bath with him.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

I wish I could help! We've tried all the above suggestions... my dd HAtES water in general!!! Bath time is like a torturous time for both of us...

I was told by other mamas it's just a phase. Just clean him as quickly as possible and move on to happier things

feel your pain.
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
sweety13
Registered Users

My Mood:

Try the sink, sometimes the tub is too big and scary! My LO loves the sink
sweety13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
myr44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds is almost the same age as your dd and we're going through the same thing. Even down to the hair washing!!! He'll start yelling and freaking out when the water hits his ears or goes in his face...
And if he sees a speckle of dirt floating in the bathwater (cause he's so darn dirty) he'll start freaking out wanting to get out cause he thinks its a fly and he's scared of flies The worst past is he enjoys the bath once the washing is over (unless he spots a "fly").
And he used to love bathtime. I think it must be a phase. I hope it's a phase

Last edited by myr44; 08-14-2007 at 08:10 PM.
myr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe try one of those shower heads that you can hold like a diaper sprayer....and let him wash with the wand????
Old 08-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Will he take showers? Or maybe a bath in a bath seat. If they go up to that weight range anyways. What about using one of those long shower heads and letting him hold it. That might make him forget how much he hates it.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sure it's a phase. I mean, you don't see too many adults terrified of the shower, right? But hopefully your little guy will calm soon.

Can you try some chamomille before the tub? Then maybe practice playing in like an inch of water first, NO head washing! Then up it a little at a time, then start splashing him a little, then more, then more, and eventually work up to hair washing. Also, try a wash cloth to moisten his hair instead of dumping water on his head, that'll take that gasping/drowning feeling away.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
I am sure it's a phase. I mean, you don't see too many adults terrified of the shower, right? But hopefully your little guy will calm soon.

Can you try some chamomille before the tub? Then maybe practice playing in like an inch of water first, NO head washing! Then up it a little at a time, then start splashing him a little, then more, then more, and eventually work up to hair washing. Also, try a wash cloth to moisten his hair instead of dumping water on his head, that'll take that gasping/drowning feeling away.