Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
hram
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
vaccine?! yes/no-how to decide?

i have two beautiful daughters, 3 and 8wks. our oldest has all of her vax up to date but i never felt comfortable when she got them. so 2 months is here and time for first round four dd #2. im going to delay them for now until i decide what to do. dh is 100% for them and there is no debate. but i see both sides. i has a terrible reaction with one vax so to be safe they never gave it to my brother who developed whooping cough and was very sick. i literally watched him almost die several times, and resulting is a lifetime of severe asthma for him. so i totally see both sides and im almost in tears over this. any advice where to look and research. anything i read is either they are perfect for everyone or they are terrible and should be avoided completely. how did you decide?
please help!!

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
hellyaellen
Registered Users

Re: vaccine?! yes/no-how to decide?

what helped me was to look at the diseases first. finding out statistics/data like how prevelant it is, how treatable it is, how preventable it is w/o a vaccine, etc. do that disease by disease. then take a look at the vaccines and find out about ingridients, efficacy, adverse events, etc.

hth
hellyaellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

read this thread AND the links
http://diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202159

Since then we have decided NOT to at least delay vaxing for a while.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, for one thing the Pertussis vaccine is the least effective and most dangerous vaccine on the market. So basically, you're injecting all that in your kid for absolutely no reason at all. I'm terrified of Whooping Cough. If there was a vaccine that worked, I'd be all over it.

I think of it this way... no child in the history of exsistance has gotten diphtheria, tetnus, whooping cough, HiB, Hep B, and Polio all at the exact same. A kid that did would die. There's no way the body could fight all that at the same time and have a chance. Yet we give those vaccines at the same time, PLUS one or two more! INSANE!

Vaccines also bypass the body's natural way of handling things. Almost all the diseases vaccines prevent against are inhaled. Our noses and throats are the first thing that fight them. Injecting a disease straight into the blood stream is not giving the body's normal processes a way to work. So, when your child comes across the real disease somewhere, the body won't know how to handle it. Other things will be out of whack.

Do you really want to inject 30+ doses of formaldahyde, mercury, chicken embryos, human fetal cells, monkey, cow, and pigs parts, and countless other toxins into your child's blood stream? Carrying all that horrible stuff to every vital organ? Depositing parts in her brain? (ETA: This sounds scare tactic-y and that's not how I meant it. It's just truth. That does happen, that is what you're doing. kwim?)

For me, it's common sense. How could anyone think it safe or a remotely good idea to give a 6lbs 2 month old (in our case) 5 shots containing all they do. I was stupid and gave into pressure. I swore never again. I am absolutely 100% sure that my decision is the best for not only MY child, but any normal healthy child.

All I can say is RESEARCH and do not stop. I am reading all the time. I read the pro-vaccine, the anti-vaccine, and the middle ground. Most of my decision NOT to vaccinate came from the CDC site itself! If nothing else, a delayed schedule is best.

I have massive amounts of infomation, you can PM me if you want it. Click on the links in the thread above, those will help. I'd read Natural Baby and Childcare by Dr. Lauren Feder (there's a vaccine chapter in there), What your Doctor May Not Tell You About Childhood Vaccines by Dr. Stephanie Cave, and Aviva Jill Romm's book (I forget the exact title at the moment). Those will give you a start.

It's a scary thing either way. Diseases suck. Vaccines, which are suppose to protect us, often do more harm than good. People just need to at least question. Don't be sheep. As long as someone actually made an informed decision, studying both sides of the matter, then that's all a person can ask for. Be informed. And the most typical thing said, but so very true.... you can always give them the vaccines. But you can NEVER take them back out.

Last edited by JustAugust; 08-14-2007 at 09:49 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
fishermanswife
Registered Users

I struggled with this too... but when it came right down to it I chose to vaccinate because if the deseases do go around they can be fatal or can scar or maim someone for life.

Hope I don't get anyone's back up by saying this but those who don't vaccinate are coasting at the backs of those who do... what I mean is that the reason the deseases are so rare now is because most babies are vaccinated so chances are your baby wouldn't get sick. But at the cost of others? Maybe.

The other thing is, if they chose to travel when they are older, or if you chose to travel with them, you may run into trouble crossing borders.

Autism terrifies me but there still isn't enough conclusive evidence, in my opinion, to show that the vaccinations are causing it, and think of how much they have done for our countries (Canada, USA) where these deseases are almost irradicated.

GL deciding... and prepare for a battle here! Its a messy topic!
FW
Old 08-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
what helped me was to look at the diseases first. finding out statistics/data like how prevelant it is, how treatable it is, how preventable it is w/o a vaccine, etc. do that disease by disease. then take a look at the vaccines and find out about ingridients, efficacy, adverse events, etc.

hth

This is how we look at it too.

And, why does she need them now, most vacs, if you choose to do them, should be given when she is older and actually has a chance of contracting the illnesses (Like Hep. and such)

just my it is hard, and I dont think I will ever be sure I am making the right decision either way. There are huge "what ifs" on both sides of the fence.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Well, for one thing the Pertussis vaccine is the least effective and most dangerous vaccine on the market. So basically, you're injecting all that in your kid for absolutely no reason at all. I'm terrified of Whooping Cough. If there was a vaccine that worked, I'd be all over it.
Yep. Pertusses is most dangerous in the first few months of life. However, by the time you finish the DTaP series on schedule (third at 6 months, final between 4-6 years), your child is no longer even in that high risk period anymore- heck, the first one isn't even given until halfway through the high risk period. (which is FAR too early for ANY vaccine IMO anyway) For this reason, some other countries don't even give the pertussis vaccine.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermanswife View Post
Hope I don't get anyone's back up by saying this but those who don't vaccinate are coasting at the backs of those who do... what I mean is that the reason the deseases are so rare now is because most babies are vaccinated so chances are your baby wouldn't get sick. But at the cost of others? Maybe.
Dear Lord here we go.

I would be far more happy if NO ONE vaccinated their children. My child is NOT coasting on the back of yours. I think you are doing more damage to the general population by vaccinating. YES, it is your choice to vaccinate. No, you don't have to agree with me at all, and I'm okay with that. But do not claim that my son is only safe because everyone else vaccinates. That could not be further from the truth.

Last edited by JustAugust; 08-14-2007 at 09:58 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermanswife View Post
Actually, this is untrue (although a common misconception, so you're definitely not the only one who thinks this ). The diseases that we vaccinate for were declining steadily before the introduction of vaccines. And in a few cases (polio, being one), vaccines are the only reason the diseases continued to occur.

Unvaccinated children aren't regularly carrying around the diseases, while vaccinated children are. If an unvaccinated child catches a "VPD" (hate calling it that because I don't believe it's true) in nearly ALL cases they'll gain lifelong immunity, and therefore, that's that- there's no passing it around. Vaccines however aren't guarunteed to provide that, if at all, and combined with the few vax's that "shed", really, it's almost the opposite. While vaccinated chilred aren't "coasting on the backs" of unvaccinated children, many times they are actually much more likely to spread the diseases (FROM vaccinations) anyway.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn76 View Post
Yep. Pertusses is most dangerous in the first few months of life. However, by the time you finish the DTaP series on schedule (third at 6 months, final between 4-6 years), your child is no longer even in that high risk period anymore- heck, the first one isn't even given until halfway through the high risk period. (which is FAR too early for ANY vaccine IMO anyway) For this reason, some other countries don't even give the pertussis vaccine.
Correct! And, and when Japan raised their DTaP vaccine age to 2 (or over, I can't remember correctly) their SIDS rates dropped an amazing amount!