Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #11
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: vaccine?! yes/no-how to decide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Correct! And, and when Japan raised their DTaP vaccine age to 2 (or over, I can't remember correctly) their SIDS rates dropped an amazing amount!
WOW.. that is amazing.

DS and DD have been fully vaxed and I really wish that I had done the research before because had I known then what I do now... there is no way in hell I would have done that to my babies.

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #12
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianamom*2 View Post
WOW.. that is amazing.

DS and DD have been fully vaxed and I really wish that I had done the research before because had I known then what I do now... there is no way in hell I would have done that to my babies.
But at least you know now. All you can do is your best and if you're making an informed decision now, then that is what it's all about.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #13
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn76 View Post
Actually, this is untrue (although a common misconception, so you're definitely not the only one who thinks this ). The diseases that we vaccinate for were declining steadily before the introduction of vaccines. And in a few cases (polio, being one), vaccines are the only reason the diseases continued to occur.

Unvaccinated children aren't regularly carrying around the diseases, while vaccinated children are. If an unvaccinated child catches a "VPD" (hate calling it that because I don't believe it's true) in nearly ALL cases they'll gain lifelong immunity, and therefore, that's that- there's no passing it around. Vaccines however aren't guarunteed to provide that, if at all, and combined with the few vax's that "shed", really, it's almost the opposite. While vaccinated chilred aren't "coasting on the backs" of unvaccinated children, many times they are actually much more likely to spread the diseases (FROM vaccinations) anyway.
AMEN SISTA!!

I hate the "Herd Immunity" thing.. I could hurt whoever started that whole BS. I don't not vaccinate in the hopes that my child will be safe because others do, that's just crazy.. if anything I wanna keep my child AWAY From Vaccinated children.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:33 PM   #14
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
But at least you know now. All you can do is your best and if you're making an informed decision now, then that is what it's all about.
We are at least delaying until DH and I both do more research. We were both sickened by the adverse effects and all this time DD had symptoms and we were being told they are NORMAL and NOTHING to be alarmed about !
Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #15
tepal
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have struggled with this issue with both my almost 4 yo dd and my 3 mo ds. If we just had a normal life here in the US, I would probably choose not to, but we travel so much that I am doing it. I want all international travel to be open to my children, and we tend to go to developing countries (my husband works in international disaster response and my mother lives in Peru). Also, my husband is adamant about having it done, so I'm not going to fight him on it either. I lost a niece to whooping cough as well, so I definitely can see both sides of the issue. But I do struggle so much with it each time I get a shot for my children. I never get more than one vaccination at a time for them, and I give their body at least a month to deal with that one before giving the next. I have always sought out pediatricians who were ok with an alternative schedule, as I didn't want to be hounded all the time about not being "up to date." My son just had his first vaccination on his 3 month birthday and I honestly was almost in turmoil about it. But I'm wanting to plan a trip to Peru in a few months and my husband would definitely not be ok with me taking him without at least a few of the more imperative shots. My doc is pretty good about helping me decide which ones would be more crucial and which ones could wait (and gives me pretty much the same answers as my last pediatrician in another state did with my DD when I was trying to get her ready to go to Peru and about 6 mo old). Anyway, I can tell I'm just rambling now. Just wanted to say that you are definitely not alone in the struggle...
tepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #16
~Bug~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IMO, from the research I've done I think vaccines are hurting us more than helping. The evidence is mounting that there is a strong link between vaccines and the skyrocketing numbers of childhood diseases such as autism, ADD/ADHD, juvenile diabetes, asthma, etc. Little tiny bodies aren't given the chance to develop their immunes systems as they ought to b/c of the onslaught of vaccines given throughout early childhood. And when the immune system is overloaded the body begins to attack itself.

We're currently on a "delayed vax schedule." However, my DH just barely finished a research paper on vaccines for one of his college classes, and after reading through all the research we may delay indefinitely.

Educate yourself and stick to your guns when you make a decision.

Danielle
Mommy to to DS (2 years old) and DD (1 year old)
EDD - Oct 2008
~Bug~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:36 AM   #17
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has an immune deficiency. My oldest caught strep throat and my PID (primary Immune Deficiency) kid almost died because of it (literally- he got strep virus in his blood- sepsis, and in his brain- meningitis and was semicomatose for several days in limbo between life and death and was isolated because they KNEW he would die). So its not a "small" issue. He was hospitalized because of a hang nail, because of a diaper rash, because of an ear infection that spread to the mastoid bone, and so on.

If I had vaxed him he never would have been diagnosed with his immune deficiency. He would simply have died of "sids" a few days after his shots.

My son would be SAFER if vaccines were abolished. My family goes into hiding from Aug 1st- Sept 30th because its VACCINE SEASON and children everywhere are wandering around shedding vax ickies that can kill my kid.

Yes the diseases are dangerous to my PID kid. But they scare me LESS than your recently vaccinated kid does.

and just thought I'd add here I don't count on, or believe in, herd immunity either.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #18
mommabug42006
Registered Users
seller

OK I know this is not what you are looking for but for me it was just like circ, I totally ment to have it done I really did but when it can down to it I just could not inflict that kind of pain on my child, plain and simple. This was prior to me having any idea about the dangers, benefits, or any thing else. My motherly instincts were screaming NO! So I listened, and as of today we have not had any major illness. The only thing one of my kids has taken ABX for was Cat Scratch Fever.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:32 AM   #19
aliks
Registered Users
seller

We weren't vaxing (well we stopped after a few rounds) because I believe in the body healing itself, my parents got the mumps, measles, rubella, chicken pox (well I got that too)-and it was no biggie-they just missed school. Now we're selective delaying cause my sons body can't fight illnesses like before-just the flu can put him in the hospital (although we're not getting that shot). When a diabetic gets sick, they get ketones which are dangerous-they need insulin to fight that off, but we all know sick kids don't want to eat so then the insulin will make him drop low-it's a vicious cycle that I don't want to get into since I nearly lost him earlier this year.
I'm not blaming the vaccines on Tony's type 1 diabetes (juvenile diabetes-that's an outdated term even though I support the jdrf). We have a family history of it before all of those vaccines were introduced, it's like a crapshoot in my family of who gets it-go figure it's the only kid in this generation who eats healthy, never got prescriptions, and only had a few vaccines!

Anyways, Just to put it into perspective, my grandfather who went through the whole polio epidimic doesn't believe in vaxing, I sometimes wonder if he got vaccinated since he lived out in the sticks growing up. After all this, unvaxed kids don't scare me around my son-it's their parents choice to not do that since I've been there. Actually I panicked the other day at the playground cause I saw a mom pull out a bunch of those fact sheets you get at the docs after being vaccinated while her boys were playing. I grabbed Tony and left!
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:48 AM   #20
Mom2Gray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn5388 View Post
I don't not vaccinate in the hopes that my child will be safe because others do, that's just crazy.. if anything I wanna keep my child AWAY From Vaccinated children.
Amen to THAT! I went to pick up ds from the nursery at church the other day and overheard a nursery worker telling a dad "I wasn't sure if you knew, but she is covered in a rash from head to toe." His nonchalant (sp?) response? "Oh yeah, it's just because she got her shots about 2 weeks ago." (I could go so many ways with this, but I'm going to be good. )
Mom2Gray is offline   Reply With Quote