Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: homebirth questions

Our homebirth ended up costing us $700 out of pocket (most of that due to the new baby, who of coarse had to meet a new deductible)

The birth supplies we needed were:

6 towels
6 washcloths
2 sets of sheets
A heating pad
a waterproof pad or shower curtain liner
A birth kit (this included all the disposable items like chuck pads, gloves, ect....)

A homebirth was much cheaper for us than a hospital birth would have been, but that is not why we chose a homebirth, we had a homebirth because it is what we wanted.

Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson View Post
thanks to everyone for your replies...i will call my insurance and find out. They cover my midwife i have now...but she is part of a practice so, not sure if they will cover home mid-wives. I feel totally confident in my birth going naturally with minimal interventions...between the Bradley classes, my reading, my very detailed birth plan, and my amazing doula...i think the hospital birth will be as good as a hospital birth can be. If insurance doesn't cover a homebirth...i will have to go the hospital route...i just can't pay $2,500 vs $100...even if it will be the most amazing experience ever. I imagine it will be the most amazing experience no matter where i am. Thanks again for your help!
just remember mama that it's your birth...and you hired the hospital.. they can't MAKE you do anything.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
As a first time mom, I just really want to make sure you make the best decision you can, because what happens during this first birth is really going to affect your future birthing options......and if you fall prey to the cascade of interventions and end up one of the 30% who cross the hospital's threshold who get a C/S, you will have such a struggle in front of you to birth naturally in the future.
In our town one of the hospitals has a 47% c-section rate, one 42%, and one 18% with two of the docs at this hospital (they are partners) only being 7 or 8%.

Midwifes really vary, my insurance covers 100%, check with the midwifes and see. When we first had a homebirth we had to pay the homebirth fee it was $500.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey Rachael - this is Kerry (from our NFK group) - did you tour Bronson or Borgess?? I delivered both my babes at Bronson w/ an OB & a doula, and had a totally natural birth, with no interventions either time. I was very clear up front about no drugs and here is my birth plan!!! The nurse I had w/ my 2nd was absolutely awesome - she just stayed out of the way and occasionally gave me some verbal support and afterward said she thought I was amazing and had done a great job birthing my baby! So, you can have a good birth in a hospital, and having a midwife & a doula (plus Bradley -awesome) goes a long way toward avoiding any interventions. Have your birth plan done several weeks in advance, make sure your MW gets a copy into your file in L&D (in case she's late, can't make it, whatever) and you also take a copy. Also, I declined the monitor, after letting them get a 15-20 minute test strip and after that, they just used the Doppler handheld, no probs.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 PM   #15
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Hey Rachael - this is Kerry (from our NFK group) - did you tour Bronson or Borgess?? I delivered both my babes at Bronson w/ an OB & a doula, and had a totally natural birth, with no interventions either time. I was very clear up front about no drugs and here is my birth plan!!! The nurse I had w/ my 2nd was absolutely awesome - she just stayed out of the way and occasionally gave me some verbal support and afterward said she thought I was amazing and had done a great job birthing my baby! So, you can have a good birth in a hospital, and having a midwife & a doula (plus Bradley -awesome) goes a long way toward avoiding any interventions. Have your birth plan done several weeks in advance, make sure your MW gets a copy into your file in L&D (in case she's late, can't make it, whatever) and you also take a copy. Also, I declined the monitor, after letting them get a 15-20 minute test strip and after that, they just used the Doppler handheld, no probs.
Hey Kerry, thanks for the encouragement. We toured Borgess. We had takend classes there before and had great experiences and our midwife (Trinnie) is fabulous. Plus, Jessica English is going to be our Doula so that will be fantabulous...i just was so irritated by the nurses attitude (pushing epidural, circumcision, and saying a c-section is a choice if you want it) that i wanted to scream. We have been working on our birth plan, but it keeps changing every time i learn something new. Good idea about making sure that L&D has a copy of my birth plan...maybe i will have a couple copies with me too. Maybe i can send you my birth plan sometime and you can tell me if i am missing anything that you would find helpful. I am thinking now we should have went to Bronson, but i really love my mid-wife and the kangaroo care and everything. Thanks so much!
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #16
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson View Post
thanks to everyone for your replies...i will call my insurance and find out. They cover my midwife i have now...but she is part of a practice so, not sure if they will cover home mid-wives. I feel totally confident in my birth going naturally with minimal interventions...between the Bradley classes, my reading, my very detailed birth plan, and my amazing doula...i think the hospital birth will be as good as a hospital birth can be. If insurance doesn't cover a homebirth...i will have to go the hospital route...i just can't pay $2,500 vs $100...even if it will be the most amazing experience ever. I imagine it will be the most amazing experience no matter where i am. Thanks again for your help!
Not all hospital births are the same, as I am sure you know. I am a L&D nurse, 2 of my DD's were born at the hospital, the last one at home. We have several midwives in practices that deliver at the hospital where I work and I LOVE working with them. They can be very accomidating with the birth choices you make so discuss what you would like and not like with your midwife. It is not the same as a home birth or a birthing center, but all the midwives I have worked with are great! :-) Don't let the hospital tour guide scare you, remember you still have choices to make....unfortunately most women want an epidural and circ so that is what she talks up
Old 08-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #17
hram
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 100% coverage for insurance and we still paid for a midwife so we could have a homebirth. I have experienced both a hospital birth with an epidural and a homebirth completely natural. I would pay a million dollars for a midwife i trusted and loved over a free hospital birth. but that is me, i know its not for everyone.
but even if you tell the annoying nurse to scram there will be ten more right behind her that may be just as bad. why take a chance. will your dr or midwife even be there, they might not be on call. this is such a personal choice, just go with your gut instinct. i always felt i had to fight for what i wanted in the hospital, but at home it was natural. and natural to me isnt just drug free. its about acting natural too. doing what you want when yyou want. with no silly rules to follow.
our homebirth was the most WONDERFUL experience ever. an hour after our daughter was born my husband said "yeah, i think we will definatly have more children!" i guess you would have to know him, he is so uptight about everything, he ate two bottles of tums when our first daughter was born and didnt even touch one with our second! i know im rambling but i jsut want to scream to everyone that I LOVED MY HOMEBIRTH!!!! and i pray that every woman could have such a wonderful memory of their childrens birth like i did, no matter where it is. good luck on everything, please follow your instinct. you already know how to be a great mom, trust yourself!!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #18
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs up Re: homebirth questions

Just wanted to give you some encouragement- My husband and I were both totally turned off by the hospital when we did our tour. I was actually considering changing my OB just to go somewhere else but I really liked my OB so we decided to stick it out. I am glad we did. We had such a great birth! I was also a FTM so I was a bit nervous. My husband and I submitted our birth plan to the doctor and L&D at the hospital. They followed it very closely. They had me hooked up to a monitor and the nurse said she would be in to take it off in a certain amount of time. When she didn't come in- I took it off. My husband and I pretty much told them when I would and wouldn't be checked/monitored, etc. I told my husband- "What are they going to do if I tell them NO- throw a woman in labor out on to the street? That won't happen."

I believe that you can make your birth whatever you want it to be. I had a beautiful, natural-drug free delivery of my daughter.(we used HypnoBabies which is a Hypnosis for childbirth program) Just stick to your guns! Oh- I also had the support of a Doula. We were her "first" birth as a doula but she was still a good source of encouragement and support.:

By the way- I would highly suggest the HypnoBabies program if you want some useful tools to use during the birth of your little one....http://www.hypnobabies.com/

Last edited by tmfletch; 08-15-2007 at 09:40 PM.
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:48 AM   #19
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the hypnobirth link...i will check it out. I know people say the home birth is worth the money but we don't have $2,000 out of pocket...it's not like we are saying, "hey hon, let's go to cancun and have the baby in the hospital." ha ha. It's more of a, "let's pay the electric bill and be able to afford the baby when it comes" type of thing. I talked with my insurance and they cover 0$ so the hospital it is. But it will be fabulous!! I know they will follow my wishes, i have already gone over them with our mid-wife!
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #20
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that you could probably just make do with the hospital. I was only checked twice (when I got checked-in, and right before I started pushing), and no one really said anything about any drugs I had to have or anything like that. They were totally willing to just go with what I wanted. GL!