Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
ocanfield
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quad blood test

I had my quad blood test last week...the one that tests for spina bifida and downs syndrome. I received a call yesterday afternoon from one of the doctors in the office I go to who told me it was positive for downs syndrome. Then she wanted to confirm that I was 18 weeks 4 days along...and I said no, I'm almost 16. Well...then she said it might be a false postiive because it appearsI got the test too early (about a week ago), and she wasn't sure why they had my weeks confused on my chart. I need to go in next week for another test.

Do you think I should be worried or just let it go, figuring she's right with the test being done too early? Has anyone gone through this before? I know that this test is just a screening and it can show a positive result and everything actually be okay.

The one thing that concerns me though, is when I got an ultrasound done at 7 weeks because of low progesterone, he said according to the size of the yolk sac, the baby was measuring only 5 weeks. I made the mistake of looking into everything on the internet after my phone call yesterday and it said that a baby with Downs has a smaller yolk sac when forming. AHHHH!

Please tell me I'm just worrying too much!!!

Advertisement

Polliwogs Recycled Wool Slippers
ocanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
averysmom
Registered Users

Re: Quad blood test

I had the same thing happen. It was a false postive. Because I didn't remember my lmp. They couldn't pin point how far a long I was. When it came back postive for downs they sent me for a better sono to look for any phyical evidence of downs. There was no phyical evidence. So that was in my favor. Then after he was born a blood test comfirmed he does not have downs. Don't stress my ob at the time said that she wished the test was not offered because she sees a lot of false positves. Unless you have risk factors such as being over 35 or downs running in your family.

Don't stress.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No need to start stressing at this point.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocanfield View Post
I had my quad blood test last week...the one that tests for spina bifida and downs syndrome. I received a call yesterday afternoon from one of the doctors in the office I go to who told me it was positive for downs syndrome. Then she wanted to confirm that I was 18 weeks 4 days along...and I said no, I'm almost 16. Well...then she said it might be a false postiive because it appearsI got the test too early (about a week ago), and she wasn't sure why they had my weeks confused on my chart. I need to go in next week for another test.

Do you think I should be worried or just let it go, figuring she's right with the test being done too early? Has anyone gone through this before? I know that this test is just a screening and it can show a positive result and everything actually be okay.

The one thing that concerns me though, is when I got an ultrasound done at 7 weeks because of low progesterone, he said according to the size of the yolk sac, the baby was measuring only 5 weeks. I made the mistake of looking into everything on the internet after my phone call yesterday and it said that a baby with Downs has a smaller yolk sac when forming. AHHHH!

Please tell me I'm just worrying too much!!!
You are worrying too much. When I went to my first mw appt when they are supposed to hear the HB around 10-11 weeks, they couldn't hear it, so they sent me for an US and they said there was too much fluid behind the baby's neck and they wanted to do a blood test. So they filled 4 ovals with blood and did the test and I have a 1 in 4 chance of having a baby with DS. But I know the blood test is only accurate for a small window of time, as is the measurement of the fluid behind the neck. If it will ease your mind, go back and get the test done again. If not, don't. We will always find something to worry about about our kids, whether they are in utero or not. And the tests (at least the one I got) can only tell you the chance you have of having a DS kid, they have false positives and false negatives, and unless you are planning on terminating, it is pointless to worry because even if the test is right and you are having a DS kid, there's nothing they can do to change it, so why worry about it? Just my
Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
AmandaS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I hope everything turns out okay.

I refused the test with my children. I knew going in that no matter what I would love the child and carry the child to term. Therefor, the tests did nothing other than cause me worry.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's exactly why I didnt have that test done- nearly 50 percent of positives are FALSE! CRAZY!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
ocanfield
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks...I know I'm probably worrying too much. Now I know why I refused the test with my first. Even though I will love and keep my baby whatever the health and not even think about terminating...it's hard not to worry, ya know?

Polliwogs Recycled Wool Slippers
ocanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocanfield View Post
Thanks...I know I'm probably worrying too much. Now I know why I refused the test with my first. Even though I will love and keep my baby whatever the health and not even think about terminating...it's hard not to worry, ya know?
I know, that's why I let them bully me into the blood test because they were worrying me. I initially flipped out with the US results, then I researched it and saw how often they have false positives and negatives for US and blood tests. Then they called me back with the blood test results and tried to push me into an amnio and something else to confirm it "so I could terminate". All they wanted to talk about was termination. So I asked them if they could do anything about it if it came back conclusive and they said no that I would just know if I wanted to terminate. There are some risks involved with the additional tests they wanted to do and I just didn't see the point. There would be nothing they could do to fix it and it wasn't worth the risk to the baby IMO. Here is a link to my thread from when I went through this: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...unchkinflame13
Old 08-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I passed on this test too because of false positives....big and I wouldn't worry.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
That's exactly why I didnt have that test done- nearly 50 percent of positives are FALSE! CRAZY!
Same here , I just said no thanks and feel really good about that , I am sure everything will be ok so try not to stress , oh and always google in moderation or you will scare the crap out of yourself !

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote