Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:
Diaper prices

Am I the only one that thinks paying a lot for a diaper is rediculous cosidering how long the child actually keeps it on his or her butt? I suppose I should define a lot: ten or so for a fitted and no more than 30 for wool......

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper prices

I realllly have a hard time spending alot of money on diapers. But since i make diapers, i know how much some of the more specialty type fabrics cost.
But sometimes there is diaper that makes me swoon LOL

i did however just start a basics line on my store, because not everyone needs super cute diaper at all times... I know when i started using CD's i did just prefold and pins and gerber pants for 3+ years, then learned how to make my ownn covers. My origional stash cost me only 200 dollars, and that was enough diapers when i had 3 in cloth at once..
Old 07-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
monkeytoesmama
Registered Users

If THAT is what you consider "a lot," then no, not really. If you consider in a wahm's time and cost of materials, web upkeep, etc, then it's definitely a fair price. A few wahms use cheaper materials and can keep their costs lower, but the resale value to the buyer will also be lower. Losing my train of thought here...

I'm curious how much you think is reasonable? I do see stuff going for what I consider ridiculous amounts, but if the demand is there and the wahm can make some good money, then more power to her.
monkeytoesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

If I had $ to throw around I'd totally do it but I don't. Thankfully I know how to make a lot of my own stuff.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #5
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

I have seen prices as high as $65 and I shudder ! My limit is 10 for fitted and 30 for wool....I should have defined that

Last edited by zonapellucida; 07-07-2006 at 05:31 PM.
zonapellucida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

I'm a knitter, so speaking for knitters....I just want to say that generally the yarns used are not cheap yarns...they range in cost of 10-20 per skein (some longies take 2 + skeins depending on size and yarn). Then the WAHM's time....it takes me 10+ hours to knit a pair of longies and 5-6 for a pair of shorties. That would be if my knitting time was uninterrupted time...just straight out knitting time. My time is interrupted because I have a family to care for. So 10 hours knitting minus cost for yarn, plus shipping costs (I pay them to ship to my customers) and wool care products (I wash and lanolize my goods before shipping) plus shipping supplies, web costs, advertising, trips to the PO..... When I'm done, I'm making way under minimum wage. Most knitters will tell you that their work is really from the heart and that is why they do it as it's not going towards supporting their family and putting food on the table! So....that's why knitted longies and shorties/soakers are what they are! They are not made by machine, they are made by hand...handmade costs more because you are paying for time.

Last edited by Willys Woolies; 07-07-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I havent ever spent 65+ on a diaper and I doubt I ever would, but I have spent 32 on a Luxe cover. And 40ish for shorties because as a WAHM myself I know how much materials cost and when you factor all that in WAHMs are really only making a couple of bucks if that on each item.
I love my BBLs and larges are 15 bucks + shipping which I find to be totally reasonable considering the materials, the time, etc...
So, I would say 10 for a fitted and 30 for wool is a VERY GOOD price.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
tntmommy
Registered Users

Personally, since I make a lot of my own stuff, $10 for fitteds and $30 for wool seems like a good personal limit. Then again, I am also a WAHM, so I know what goes into the diapers to make them. Basically WAHMs work for "sweatshop wages" even at those prices. Not that I wouldn't do it, because I enjoy it, but there's not a lot of money in it at all.
tntmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma
If I had $ to throw around I'd totally do it but I don't. Thankfully I know how to make a lot of my own stuff.
I absolutely agree.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

I think I price my dipes very reasonably. No they are not cheap, but if you do prefolds and supplement with some fitteds than the price becomes more reasonable.

I do not make much at all on my diaper sewing. Probably not enough, but I love what I do and I make a high quality product that will last. And if you buy a diaper for $15-$20, you can re-sell it for $10 plus all the wear you got out of it.

Cloth is a great deal!! You can't re-sell sposies. And supporting WAHM's or Work at home parents is very important so they can keep staying home with their babies
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote