Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OMG. This hurts and I want to cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooey View Post
Cold cabbage leaves in the bra helped me with #2 - the cold feels good, and I think there's something chemically with the cabbage that helps, too. Pumping a little also helped, just to soften them up enough for baby to get a good latch (and get a good frozen stash started).

It really does get better.

Phooey on hot bowling balls in the bra
Cabbage leaves work super well, but can dry up your supply completely..so only wear them for a short period of time everyday..and actually nursing as much as baby wants(within reason) helps even out supply...Also be careful to only pump till you are mildly more comfortable cause pumping till empty will just compound the problem.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD is only a week old, but the pump has already saved my tush. I just pump enough to feel comfortable and then it is okay. I have only had to pump four or five times now but I am getting a good frozen supply for later. DD still hasn't had anything but my breast near her mouth (we had real issues with this with DD1, so I am being cautious so we don't go through that again.

My nipples hurt like crazy though and lanolin doesn't seem to help too much. We need to work on latch I think because boy it hurts.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I"m so glad this was posted...I am in 'that' stage too...I have to keep reminding myself that it only lasts a little while. This is my last baby and i plan on BFing as long as she wants, but I am awfully tired of the achy breaky boobs!
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #14
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The pacifier is your friend, Mama. Letting her suck all the time (especially when she's not actually drinking) can get 'ya engorged like that, IME. And if you need to, pump a little. Take the edge off until that next feeding. Build a freezer stash!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
beachmamatoboys
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh no!! Hope your supply levels out soon!

My son spent nine days after he was born in the NICU. I was pumping for him- apparantly way too much, because when he got home I was sooo engorged! He was nursing much less than I had pumped. I feel your pain, mama!
beachmamatoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2LivandNoah View Post
Cabbage leaves work super well, but can dry up your supply completely..so only wear them for a short period of time everyday..and actually nursing as much as baby wants(within reason) helps even out supply...Also be careful to only pump till you are mildly more comfortable cause pumping till empty will just compound the problem.
I was coming to type this... cabbage works wonders (leave it in the fridge) and the leaves fit perfectly over your breast. Taking a warm shower (or warm compress) before pumping will help.

The growth spurts later will be less painful. My lo never took a paci, actually none of them... so booby was for food and comfort.

I hope it gets better for you

Last edited by hackermd; 08-16-2007 at 11:23 AM.
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #17
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everyone has already said what I'd say, so I just want to encourage you - the growth spurts last a few days, and then she'll be back to normal. Your supply is increasing to meet her needs, and once she slows down again you supply will even out. If pumping is painful, use hand expression, and if you're so engorged that she can't latch, express a little until you're a bit softer.

the first few weeks are the hardest, but after that it is a breeze and so much easier than bottles!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #18
luv_bugg
Registered Users
seller

I agree! Cold cabbage leaves worked GREAT for me!
luv_bugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #19
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

First off thank you mama's for replying.

As soon as my boyfriend got home I crawled my butt into the tub and tried to boil my boobs in hot water. A night of co-sleeping (ETA: Let me clarify - A night of my boyfriend sleeping on the couch so I had more room than normal to maneuver Sophia and myself around) and nursing on Sophia's oddly consistent every 3 hour schedule (10:30, 1:30 and 4:30) has helped a ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooey View Post
Phooey on hot bowling balls in the bra
Oh my god I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything. I totally snorted when I read that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2madison06 View Post
The pacifier is your friend, Mama. Letting her suck all the time (especially when she's not actually drinking) can get 'ya engorged like that, IME. And if you need to, pump a little. Take the edge off until that next feeding. Build a freezer stash!
She will only take boob and fingers as acceptable items to suck on. I've tried Nuks and Soothies. She won't take Avent bottles (nipples) either. My fingers are typically not acceptable as she is well aware that boob is within reach. My boyfriend's pinky is the #1 pacifier here. So yeah .. I think the comfort nursing is partly to blame. She'll fall asleep nursing but the second I remove the boob from her mouth she loses it, and has to continue suckling for another 10-15 minutes until she's out. Most of the time BM ends up pouring out her mouth and soaking both of us.

Last edited by ferrferr; 08-16-2007 at 11:42 AM.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #20
patricelondon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, good. I hope things are better for you today Mama
Baby #4 due Jan 2013

http://madebylovewithlove.wordpress.com/products/[/COLOR]
patricelondon is offline   Reply With Quote